main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Not an Option (JA-era, Trett/Arwen, w/guest stars...)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mistress_Renata, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Mm, the body count will rise before we're finished!

(We do love to rag on poor Obi, don't we? ;) )

Right, I've spent the last three hours at a banquet, am too stuffed with food to do anything coherent or say anything clever, so I'm just going to post the next chunk, then take an antacid & crawl into bed... :)

Trett lay on the cot for hours, staring up at the ceiling, conserving his strength. He had a horrible suspicion that Vardis was right. It was only a matter of time. He had hoped that each passing day meant that rescue would come, and he was sure that the Order had figured out his dilemma by now and were trying to find a way to help him. But it was his young apprentice that worried him.

Vardis hadn't found her. Yet. And Trett knew her well enough to suspect that she hadn't found a place of refuge. No, not his girl. She must be nearby, trying to find a way to help him. And putting herself in danger. He was intimately acquainted with the abilities of Vardis's guards. He'd rather die than know she was in their hands, felt sick to his soul, picturing them doing to her what they'd done to him. He allowed his thoughts to pass over the unseen girl today, poor, hapless creature who'd suffered so much on his account. If the guards actually got hold of the right girl...

The only alternative... Trett turned his head to the force field holding him in. He'd just have to escape and rescue himself first, so she didn't try to do it. It was almost a pity he didn't have Arwen with him; she had an unusual ability to use the Force on energy fields. She'd be out of this door in a heartbeat. Probably. He had to try something else.

He breathed deeply, gathering his strength, then rose slowly from the cot, shambling to the window while supporting himself against the wall with his good hand. Well, the less broken of the two. He paused, peering up through the window at the night sky. Somewhere, out among the stars, he had friends. Who were trying to find a way to help him, he was sure of that. He closed his eyes for a moment, thinking of all the people he loved, his friends, who loved him in return. It gave him comfort. Then, still leaning heavily against the wall, he followed it around to the force field sealing off the opening.

The guards outside the door looked at him uncertainly. He'd been almost disappointing to them; no histrionics, no Jedi abilities to escape. Mostly he slept, occasionally staggering around the room or looking out the little window. Sometimes he'd looked out at them, but he'd never talked to them. After the first few weeks, the joy of taunting him had gotten boring, since he never responded to even the crudest remarks.

Now he leaned against the frame, keeping himself clear of the field, and looked back at them. At this hour of night, they were dull-eyed. He might --MIGHT-- be able to make it work. He let himself stand there, felt the Force begin to gather around him, move through him. So much he needed to do, but he had to start like this.

"You must find this very tiring," he said softly, focusing on the guards and moving his hand. They stared back at him. He didn't let up on his concentration. "Guard duty late at night is exhausting." He saw them blink, shake their heads.

He'd never put them out completely, but if he could just keep them distracted... Now he reached out to the older of the young men, found the cylinder in his breast pocket, and lifted it. It slid upward, hovering through the air. One of the men stared at it. Trett breathed deeply, and spoke to the men again, keeping his voice hushed, waving his hand. "When you're tired, you can hallucinate things." He guided the code key to the entry slot. "Very, very tired."

One of the men yawned, and the other one nodded, with his chin dropping to his chest. Trett watched as the force field came down. "And when you're tired, you don't see me," he said softly.

The guards were nearly cross-eyed by now, and he moved out the door and down the corridor in the shadows, as quickly as he could, given his injuries.

Wh

2. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    It's a funny thing about curling, it looks so boring, but when it's on I can't stop watching. I guess a lot of people feel the same way because NBC said whenever they showed it their ratings went up. Go figure. :)

What a chilling post, I felt so sorry for Trett having to sit there helpless. I wonder who the poor girl was. It was sort of ominous when Trett was thinking he must plan his own escape, but I don't think he would think of taking his own life, not while Arwen is still out there.

You must have been posting as I was writing and Trett was making his escape. Very clever of him, but I can't wait to see where he goes to hide out.

3. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Ooh, that was horrible--I can't believe they would kill an innocent girl just to try to trick Trett into thinking they had Arwen!! That is too evil for words!

Pretty neat job Trett did of escaping. I wonder if he's even going to need help from Arwen, Qui and Obi. :p Can't wait to find out where he's going to hide! :)

4. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    *Vardis hadn't found her. Yet. And Trett knew her well enough to suspect that she hadn't found a place of refuge. No, not his girl. She must be nearby, trying to find a way to help him. And putting herself in danger. He was intimately acquainted with the abilities of Vardis's guards. He'd rather die than know she was in their hands, felt sick to his soul, picturing them doing to her what they'd done to him. He allowed his thoughts to pass over the unseen girl today, poor, hapless creature who'd suffered so much on his account. If the guards actually got hold of the right girl...*

I don't know whether to feel pleased at Rendell's understanding of 'his girl', or cry over the awful position/posission/whatever he was in with the 'not-his-girl'! Poor guy.

*Well, the less broken of the two.*

It wasn't very funny, but I have to admit I laughed anyway! Maybe it was Trett's wry apraisal of his own injuries that did it...

*Somewhere, out among the stars, he had friends. Who were trying to find a way to help him, he was sure of that.*

I am SO glad he knows that! The worst thing in the world is to find yourself in a bad situation and think you've been abandoned.

Now lets just hope that they *don't* pass in the halls!

Lucy's glad that the (I'm not quite sure what that word is; my cat translations can be fuzzy, but I don't think it was complimentary) guards got bored! She hopes they die from boredom! Lucy can get rather involved in stories at times... ;)

Sarah >^,,^<

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, very good, very realistic! I loved the way that the guards had soon become bored with Trett because he never responded and never spoke to them. And the way he wasn't able to put them out completely, but was able to convince them that they were tired and seeing things.

Where can he hide? Where wouldn't they look? Why am I thinking of the Kazaret's cell, or (if he can find it), the Kazar's cell?

6. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Good morning, everyone!

While Trett now muddies the waters, and while I wait for the laundry to come out of the dryer, we shall send in the cavalry (who have an unoriginal but possibly effective plan in mind...)

Obi-Wan guided the speeder to a stop at the gates. "General Jinn here with a prisoner," he said.

"General who?" said the young guard, flustered, looking at the credentials.

"General Jinn, commanding the Northern Territorial Defense Force of the Combined Coalition, under the command of Commissioner Saroff," said Obi-Wan, staring down the guard. "We've got a prisoner, we need to hold her here until we can transfer her tomorrow."

The guard hesitated.

"Is there a problem, Captain Kenobi?" The voice from the back seat was chilly.

"IS there a problem, Private?" asked Obi-Wan, arching one eyebrow. The young guard turned red. He wasn't any older than the young Padawan. But according the insignia, Obi-Wan outranked him.

"No, sir! Go on through! I'll tell Commissioner Vardis you're here, sir!"

Obi-Wan guided the speeder through the outer gates, past the gates of the inner ring and drew up before the ominous metal doors of the prison administration building. He powered down the speeder, and looked into the back. He had a bad feeling about this, but he didn't think Qui-Gon or Arwen wanted to hear about it right now. Qui-Gon was quickly checking the metal binders on Arwen's wrists, making sure they weren't too tight. There were four guards at the door, and as the speeder settled to the ground, the metal doors slid open and several other men came out.

One came to the rear door, and held it open for Qui-Gon, who emerged slowly, studying the details of the prison buildings with detached interest. A humanoid in stark civilian clothing walked down a flight of steps to greet him.

"General," he said, "this is a surprise and an honor. I am Pouro Vardis, Commissioner of the Noully region, and commander of the People's Detention Center 4."

"Qui-Gon Jinn," replied the tall Jedi with a casual salute. "The perimeter seems well protected, Commissioner. My compliments."

"Thank you, General." Vardis looked at Obi-Wan.

"My aide-de-camp, Captain Kenobi."

Obi-Wan managed a fairly creditable salute.

"And what brings you here, General?" asked Vardis. "I was not informed you'd be coming. My sentries said something about a prisoner transfer...?"

"Ah, yes." Qui-Gon stepped to one side as Obi-Wan helped Arwen out of the speeder. Her long diplomatic robes were definitely the worse for wear, ragged, torn, and very dirty. She stood tall, though, and surveyed the surroundings with regal disinterest.

Vardis caught his breath. "This is the Jedi girl," he said softly.

Qui-Gon looked at him. "You are acquainted?" he asked.

"We have been looking for her. We caught the Master just over a month ago."

"How interesting. I have orders to transfer her to the continental capital at Penroe, Commissioner Saroff wishes to speak with her. Perhaps I should take this Master as well."

Vardis frowned. "With respect, General, I do not believe that would be a wise idea."

"We shall discuss this inside."

"Of course. Captain Ulun, please bring the prisoner to a holding cell while I bring the General to my office."

"Yes, sir." He paused, staring at Qui-Gon suspiciously. The tall man looked back, unruffled. After a moment, the Captain moved towards Arwen, licking his lips. Obi-Wan moved to stand beside her, glancing quickly at Qui-Gon.

"Kenobi, make sure she's secured," said Qui-Gon, over his shoulder, as if it was an afterthought.

"Yes, sir." Obi-Wan looked at Ulun. "Lead on, Captain."

The man glared and led them away.

Qui-Gon watched as the two apprentices marched after the thick-set man, flanked by two gangly guards. They were in. Now to see if they could get out.

7. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    I missed a post! But that's okay, because it means I get two at once, yippee! :D

I could just picture poor Trett, moving so painfully because of his injuries but still finding a way to get himself out. And good thinking Qui, sending Obi along with Arwen when Ulun looked as if he'd cause trouble. Do I see the beginnings of a farce here, with the rescuers and the rescuee managing to miss one another?

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The plans seems very familiar. However, I don't remember it being terribly effective last time it was tried. They had to rely on a very costly distraction in order to escape. Is that why you called it "possibly effective?"

9. Abbi_Cee

Jul 3, 2000
    I see you've found the new Qui-Gon icons. :)

So now they're in. At least Arwen is much prettier than Chewie. I can just see Trett getting out of the prison only to discover Arwen is inside and having to break back in. ;)

10. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I can see Trett hiding in a broom closet somewhere and watching the prisoner go by, only to think "That looks like Arwen!" And then, let's see, on their way out, they rescue the Kazaret and her daughters, and Spunky Daughter grabs a blaster and shoots a hole in the nearest garbage disposal unit, and they all end up in the sewers! Obi-Wan gets sucked under by the dianoga and ...

Jane, don't be silly! All right, serious mind here. I also liked the part where Qui-Gon sent Obi-Wan with Arwen after seeing Ulun lick his lips at the girl. Yuck! I hope that man dies a slow, lingering death at the hands of "General Jinn".

11. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    Funny, Jane, that's exactly what I was thinking! What about arsenic? No wait, that's what the wife gets when she boils fly-papers to poison the husband slowly and inperceptively... Strichnine! That's what we need! A sudden and very violent death! *notices that everyone is staring at her and points to a large stack of Agatha Christies in her bag* At least that's what *she* said. ;)

*They were in. Now to see if they could get out.*

Ah, truer words! I really like Qui and Obi's act as military men. Highly realistic (though maybe not realistic enough for Vardis-the-vrelt), not to mention amusing.

Lucy especially appreciated the touch about Arwen acting regal. Good girl! :)

Mud seems to be Trett's specialty, don't it? Let's just hope that they find him before something *really* bad happens.

Sarah >^,,^<

12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Ha! I knew you'd all get the allusion! My readers are so smart! [face_love] [face_love] Actually, I did ponder the possibility of the sewers at one point, but the characters had other ideas. And yet Jane is more prescient than she thinks... [face_devil]

Meanwhile, we will all remember not to tick off Sara_K... ;)

And back to our Feature Presentation!

Qui-Gon continued to look around, coolly assessing the prison, and slapping his gloves in his hand. He turned to Vardis. "May I have a tour of the facility? I am very curious to see the Murderer of the People."

"Of course." Vardis and the honor guard led the way through the twisting corridors of the prison, up stairways and down, while Qui-Gon mentally recorded the route. Arwen had sketched in a loose floor plan in her datapad, based on her memory of the model in the old Palace, and now he tried to track where they were going.

They went down, to a level just below the main level. At the end of a corridor, Vardis inserted a codecylinder into a slot, and punched in an override. The door opened with a swoosh. Qui-Gon looked inside. A man, white-haired, sitting despondently on a cot, looked up at them with suspicion.

"The Kazar," said Vardis. Qui-Gon nodded. Otoran hadn't been abused, as far as the Jedi Master could tell. His once rich robes were filthy, stained, and in shreds. He was alive, at least.

"Please," said Otoran hoarsely, "my children. Can you tell me... where are they?"

"You will know what we decide you need to know," said Vardis crisply. He punched the controls, and the door slammed shut on the miserable man.

The Jedi Master turned to him. "And the children? They are still here?"

"Of course."

Qui-Gon nodded thoughtfully. "Saroff believes they are the bargaining chip we will need to get what we need from the Republic. Are they well?"

"Yes, we are keeping the boys this way." Vardis led the way. "Of course, we have another bargaining chip as well. The Jedi Master. We have been trying to persuade him to cooperate. He seems to be resistant, however. These Jedi are very stubborn."

"I had heard that," said Qui-Gon drily. Vardis stopped before two cells. These had force fields instead of doors. The commissioner didn't try to take them down. Qui-Gon looked in. The oldest son and heir, Kazarin Arnet, sat on his cot. The Jedi Master fought down a wave of sympathy. The boy couldn't be more than thirteen or fourteen.

The young heir glared at them with fierce blue eyes. His long brown hair was dirty, and hung around his face. But he seemed to be unhurt. His younger brothers were in the other cell. Qui-Gon tried to remember how old they were, twelve and ten, he thought. They were huddled together, and looked up, more fearful than their defiant elder. But they were also unhurt. All the children were thin, ragged, and dirty.

"They seem well," observed Qui-Gon.

"The Chancellor won't pay ransom for corpses."

Qui-Gon turned away, heading back down the corridor. "And the Kazaret?"

"She and her daughters are in the women's wing, near your prisoner. Come, to my office. We'll discuss this situation. I am curious as to Saroff's intentions in this matter."

13. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    *"I had heard that," said Qui-Gon drily.*

LOL! I suppose he would have, wouldn't he? :p

Corpses... *sputters angrily* I'd like to see YOU as a corpse! A very mangled one! *tries to calm down so as not to freak anybody out* I'm okay, I'm okay.

Lucy is wondering when Vardis' gonna notice that Trett's missing. ?[face_plain]

And guess who's posting on her new laptop! Yup! After a lot of saving, a little help from my parents as a 16th birthday gift and a little more help from my computer company owning aunt and uncle, I finally have my own 'puter! I love it. [face_love]

Sarah >^,,^<

14. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Oh, boy, I sure hope that Trett runs into the other three Jedi at some point here. It would be terrible if he escapes only to find out he has to rescue the other THREE on his own. :eek: :p
    I'm glad that the Kazar and his family, are still alive and mostly unharmed.

And I cracked up at the stubborn Jedi line and Qui's reaction to it. I think Vardis is about to learn firsthand just how stubborn Jedi really are! [face_mischief]

Can't wait to read more! :)

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Hmm, the Kazar is in a room with a door, and it seems that only Vardis has both the codecylinder and the override code? Bad news! At least he hasn't been abused, nor have his sons. Good descriptions of them in their dirty, ragged clothing!

I guessed something right? Hooray for me! Now ... which thing was it?

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Congratulations on the new computer, Sarah_K! I love mine. Just remember... back up everything on the floppies!!! :)

Yes, we have to hope Trett doesn't need to rescue anyone else, he's barely hanging in there himself.

Now... another PG-13 for the following scene. Suggestive language and innuendo... But again, everyone stays dressed.

Obi-Wan held Arwen's arm firmly as they followed Captain Ulun through the corridors of the ancient prison. He looked around the room they were escorted into. A long table in the center of the room, a room off the side with showerheads in the ceiling, a few chairs, and a desk at one side.

"Seems quite luxurious for a cell," said Obi-Wan.

"Plenty of time for that," drawled Ulun. "We gotta process her first."

"Process her?" It sounded ominous.

"Yup," said Ulun, leering at the girl. "All prisoners have to be completely shaved and showered. Then... body cavity search. She's obviously a danger. We'll have to be... thorough." He smiled slowly.

Uh-oh. They hadn't counted on this. Obi-Wan glanced quickly at his friend, who seemed calm, but she had gone a shade paler and her eyes flickered to meet his. He cleared his throat, and drew on the Force. "You don't need to process her," he said softly, waving his hand through the air.

"Standard procedure, kid." Ulun grabbed Arwen's arm, pulling her towards him roughly.

What a time for the mind trick not to work! He drew on the Force again. "This is not necessary," he said desperately, waving his hand again.

"It's never necessary, but it's a lot of fun." Ulun was patting her down for concealed weapons, more careful than he needed to be, lingering as his hands explored her torso. Arwen winced, and looked at Obi-Wan, a silent plea.

He relaxed, seeking the calm, seeking the Force. It controls our actions, but we control it. And right now, there's a lot at stake. He felt the Force gathering around him, moving through him... and was aware that she was sending the Force to him as well, using his calm to fuel her own. He found his quiet space, felt it moving, and waved his hand again. "There is no time for this now."

Ulun stopped, and looked at him slowly. Obi-Wan swallowed hard, holding on to the Force, to the feeling, and pressed on, "You can do this later. Right now we need to secure her."

Ulun looked back at the girl with glazed eyes. "We'd better secure her right now," he said. "We'll finish her off later."

"Excellent, Captain. Show us the cell."

"I'll show you to the cell."

He suppressed a sigh of relief as he took his friend's arm from Ulun's grasp. He felt her shivering, and didn?t blame her one bit. Just being near the man made him shaky. Through the rips in her sleeve, he could see red marks where the man's fingers had gripped her. The Captain lumbered ahead of them, down a corridor and up two flights of stairs. He punched a door control, and a force field came down.

Obi-Wan led Arwen into the room, looking around doubtfully. Qui-Gon's idea seemed worse and worse as they went along. The room was small, no larger than an initiate's bedroom at the Temple. There was a wooden bench along one wall, with some straw mounded on it as bedding. Permacrete floors, a hole in one corner, and a smell of mildew and old urine. One tiny window, set high up in the wall. He didn't want to leave her here; especially not if Ulun was going to be coming around. But he had to go through with the plan. He moved behind her to unfasten the binders, shielding his motions from the guards with her body. While he pretended to fumble with the binders, he secretly pulled her lightsaber out from under his jacket, and hooked it on the back of her belt. She backed away to sit on the cot, keeping it out of sight, while she rubbed her wrists as if the metal had chafed her.

"That should keep her for a while," said Obi-Wan. "Thank you, Captain. I know that the General has... plans for her. He would be very upset if those plans were spoiled."

Ulun frowned. "Plans?"

Obi-Wan tried to leer, something he

17. Sarah_K

Jun 10, 2001
    On second thought, maybe Ulun should die first. At the hands of Trett! A perfect end for the scum.

Be careful Arwen!! Keep your hands on your saber and if that... that... evil personage comes near you again, decapitate him. ;)

Lucy is glad Obi's gonna be tailing Ulun for the time being. She thinks this is one of the braver things he's ever done! After all, you can loose your lunch just LOOKING at the guy!

Sarah >^,,^<

18. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Poor Arwen. She deserves a medal for all the groping she's had to put up with on this mission. :eek: Too bad Obi-Wan couldn't have tripped and accidentally knocked Ulun into a wall or run him through with his lightsaber or something. :mad:

I sure Qui-Gon's plan works better than it seems to be working so far. I don't like how everyone is being separated like this, it worries me. :eek:

Looking forward to more, Renata! :)

19. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Can I slap that evil Ulun man? Please? *Sits on her hands*

Where's Trett? Is he going to have to rescue everyone? I hope not, I don't think he's quite in shape to kung-fu everyone's butt.

Go Jedi, go Jedi.

Great posts :D.

20. Abbi_Cee

Jul 3, 2000
    Whew! Narrow escape for Arwen. I can't help but shiver for the Kazar's wife and daughters though, they didn't have a Jedi to help them. I hope Obi can keep Ulun in sight. Now, where is Trett and what is he doing? :)

21. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Sarah K: decapitate Ulun? I was thinking of something a little further south. [face_devil]

22. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Ohyeah, PadawanKitara, somewhere further south, definately! Sorry for not responding that frequently, Renata! I'm dropping into lurker-dom, but still enthralled. I'll try to find time to say something moderately intelligent and stuff this evening.

23. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree, Arwen deserves a medal for putting up with that groping so patiently, and not using her self-defence skills to break Ulun's neck! I liked the way Obi-Wan wasn't very good at leering, and the way he managed to slip Arwen's lightsaber to her. Also loved the way the Jedi Mind Trick didn't work the first time. (Obviously that's something that Obi-Wan improves greatly upon in the course of his life. ;) ) The description of the cell was very realistic and off-putting. Great job! Now what about Trett, and the Kazar and his family?

24. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Hi, Renata. I just want to tell you that if I'm not here for the next few days, I'll be back ASAP.

I went to the doctor today because of really bad stomach pains. I had to have some blood drawn, and I tested negative for UTI. But the bad part is, I may have a mild case of appendicitis which could become worse over time. I'm waiting for the call from the doctor right now.

If my blood shows that I have appendicitis, I'll be in the hospital for a few days, so if I don't reply I don't want you to think that you lost a reader. I hope it isn't appendicitis though. Please no, please please...

25. HaiGan

Nov 7, 2000
    Appendicitis, FurryDuck? Ew, I hope not! And if it is, get well soon!

I LIKE that the mind trick didn't work first time- and it wasn't just a case of repeating it, it was finding a lever that would work on that particular mind. And clever Obi to slip Arwen her lightsaber. Let's hope she dosn't need it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.