main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Not what they say, but how they say it.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Prospecting on Subtyrrell, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    What are some of your favorite deliveries and facial expressions in the PT?

Watto: "You swindled me!"

The look Windu gives Yoda when they are testing Anakin in the council chamber. Also how Yoda immediately reigns in the amazement at his force capabilities by asking him how he feels.

Obi Wan: "That's why I'm here!". You're a bad liar Kenobi!

Jango: "Doesn't seem to take a hint this guy"

Anakin: "I killed them. Every single one of them".

Dooku: "Master Kenobi, you disappoint me! Surely you can do better!"

Sidious: "Welcome home Lord Tyrannus." He sounds almost like a loving grandfather here.

Obi Wan: "Oh I have a bad feeling about this." Possibly the only time I believe a character when he says the line.

R2 trying to hide in a corner in the hangar bay of the Invicible Hand.

Anakin "He's trying"

Grievous: "General Kenobi, the negotiator!"

Windu: "So the prophecy says". Then his look to Yoda afterwards.

Palpatine: "Ironic isn't it, he could save others from death, but not himself".

Obi Wan: "Hello there!"

Anakin: "I know there are things about the force they are not telling me".

Sidious: "The Jedi are relentless. If they are not all destroyed, there will be civil war without end"

Sidious: "At last the Jedi are no more". Then his look when Yoda has blasted him behind his own desk.

2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

UNLIMITED POOOOOOOWWWWWAAAAHHHHHHH!

/Close thread. ;)

But seriously. My favourite line ever. Delivery, expression, the whole lot. Just great.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Dooku: Qui-Gon was once my Apprentice just as you were once his. Pretty telling line that and interesting the chiding cautionary tone as he regards Obi.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Could be here all day with this. Some great ones picked out already.

Very much a fan of Watto. "You swindled me!" -- yes. But also:

- "I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it..."
    - Watto getting angry when his chance cube mysteriously (or not-so-mysteriously) fails. "You won this small toss, outlander, but you won't win the race, so it makes little difference!"
    - Laughing like a mongoose when Anakin's pod stalls.
    - Recognizing Anakin in AOTC (perfect animation), and the line, "You sure sprouted, huh?"
    - Like his little, "abbbbsolutely!" from the same scene, too. And the laugh/grunt sound at the end.

Jar Jar has a lot of amusing and wonderfully-animated moments. I'm a big fan. There are so many I could list if I got going.

Shoot, I'll say:

- "Oh, you saved my again!"
    - "Hello. Sorry. Whosa are yousa?"
    - The scene where Jar Jar eyes that chuba in the market place on Tatooine.
    - The little break-dance turn he does on his heels when Qui-Gon and Co. head off from Jira's market stall to Ani's hovel (subtle animation -- very amusing when you notice it).
    - Sniffing the fruit, "How wude!" and slurping his drink at the dinner table.
    - The curious look Jar Jar gives Anakin when Qui-Gon says, "I can see there's no fooling you, Anakin..."
    - "This is gonna be messy! Me no watchin'!" and his hand movements (Jar Jar's hand and arm movements generally).
    - Sleeping like a dog on the Queen's ship after it departs Tatooine.
    - The poignant scene between Jar Jar and the Queen on Coruscant.
    - "Steady, steady!"
    - "My give up!" and Captain Tarpals sighing.
    - Jar Jar's gulp in AOTC.
    - Behind the casket at Padme's funeral: an expression that is both sad and beautifully grim.

(I also like how Jar Jar disappears from the PT narrative as it progresses. Which might sound like an odd thing for a Jar Jar fan to say. But I love all that it symbolizes.).

I don't think Artoo or Threepio have much good banter in the PT (somewhat by design I suppose), but I do like Threepio berating Artoo in the ship on Geonosis (especially his terse blast of "idiot!"), as well as Threepio's fun misadventure in the droid factory and the arena. And Threepio complaining with cheesy puns when Artoo is trying to fix him.

Okay, so that's the "kids" out of the way...

Just a few other select moments for now:

(This whole thing went very awry. Started off small and ended up practically re-telling ROTS. Oh, well. I like to interpret that cumbersome blooming as some measure of the scaling intensity of the prequel films; which are sort of 2.5 films plus a tragic denouement. Then again, it's probably just more loose-goose indulgence on my part. You decide.).

TPM

- Nute Gunray is rather hilarious throughout. "Ah, victory!" is an exclamation I'm particularly fond of.
    - Palpatine feigning confusion/concern for the "ambassadors" and then the hologram fizzing out.
    - Qui-Gon's playful demeanour when talking to Boss Nass about Jar Jar. And Qui-Gon's relationship with Jar Jar generally.
    - The delightful exchanges between Qui-Gon and Shmi. Wonderfully written and directed.
    - "The Queen trusts my judgement, young handmaiden. You should, too."
    - Anakin and his mother saying goodbye. A scene with immense power: the thematic and emotional anchor of the entire saga. Think about it. Anakin's inability to let go of his mother and not "look back" is what (retrospectively) moulds the whole story.
    - Padme appearing quite lost and confused after privately watching/re-watching the holographic recording of Sio Bibble on the Queen's ship.
    - Amidala appearing quite indignant when Valorum is scuttled by the bureaucrats and the line, "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee!"
    - "I shall do what I must, Obi-Wan". Again, another notably light and non-chalant moment from Mr. Jinn.
    - The resentful looks from Anakin in his "testing" scene with the Jedi Council.
    - Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's little disagreement on the landing platform and their little scene where they patch things up on Naboo.
    - The moment when Padme steps forward and reveals her identity, the Jedi's reaction, and the moment Padme sinks to her knees.
    - Not an actor moment, but I like the laser pens used by Amidala and Panaka during their recapture of Theed.
    - The stern, disgusted looks Qui-Gon gives Maul in the duel.
    - Final exchange between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Nicely played by both actors.
    - Celebration scene and beaming smile from Amidala to Anakin. Sad when you think of how it all ends.

AOTC

- Elevator scene; especially "Ewan" Kenobi's put-on laugh. And the beard!
    - "Dreams pass in time." Sublime little moment.
    - Everything between Obi-Wan and Anakin in the speeder chase.
    - "Do you know who it was you were trying to kill?" Anakin is more the focus, but I like how stern Obi-Wan seems in that scene.
    - The start and end of Anakin's mini-rant to Padme. From the slightly rehearsed/self-conscious way that Anakin says, "Sometimes, we must let go of our pride and do what is requested of us," to Anakin challenging Padme with those smoky eyes when she tells him not to look at her that way: "Why not?" Bossy. I like it.
    - Departure scene with Anakin on his first mission. I especially love the way he warms up when Padme pays him a compliment, referring to him as her "Jedi protector", and then his drab, "Yes, master," after Obi-Wan pulls him aside. And the way Anakin glances up as he steps out of the airbus.
    - The scene between Obi-Wan and Dex, of course! Obi-Wan's manners, sipping from the cup, and Dex's last line and dirty laugh at the end.
    - "Are you having a problem, Master Kenobi?" Good thing she didn't say "poo". It almost has that quality. And Obi-Wan will most certainly be having a few problems in the next movie.
    - "Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing, how embarrassing..."
    - It's awkward, but I like the disagreement between Anakin and Padme in the throne room.
    - The setting and manner of Anakin and Padme's first kiss. Anakin's eyes and quivering complexion say it all.
    - "Magnificent, aren't they?" Plus Obi-Wan's little nod of the head.
    - The "magnificent" Anakin and Padme -- or is the grazing shaak? the waterfalls? -- in the meadow scene. All of it, all of them.
    - Not only the tense exchange between Obi-Wan and Jango, but the way Obi-Wan looks and paces around, Boba's concern, and the gormless quality of Taun We. Plus the colour scheme.
    - Anakin and Padme having dinner in that glorious gazebo-like room. Big-time bonding.
    - "Then you do feel something?" What, Anakin? You mean you didn't get any reading till now? Poignant. I also like the little pause Anakin takes mid-way through his flowery declaration of lust/love. Like he's saying for a second, "How far should I take this?" And the beautiful fire-side setting. Supreme!
    - "You're studying to become a Jedi and I'm... I'm a senator." I like the way Padme gathers herself and softens her voice at the end. For all her firmness, she's trying to still be sweet around Anakin. And I'm now describing her like a fruit. My bad. (I guess that means she's taking a bite of herself in the former scene).
    - "Don't go. Your presence is soothing." Such a tragic line. And that whole scene is brilliantly done.
    - Anakin and Padme's startled reactions to realizing they're gazing at Threepio: Anakin's droid from all those years ago. Really adds a grace note to the gloomy nature of Anakin's mandate-breaking search for his mother. Also a rhyme with Watto registering surprise when he discovers he's talking to a "sprouted" Anakin. One of an infinity of neat power reversals. And notice how sneaks and creeps and aliens and what-not "guide" the characters in this movie (Dex, Jocasta, Watto, Threepio, even Jar Jar).
    - Anakin and Padme embracing before Anakin departs on the bike. Literally just shadows on the wall. When words and even faces become superfluous.
    - It's not an actor moment, but there is a TON of thrilling, hair-raising emotion -- or something -- when that music plays as Anakin races into nightfall on the speeder. Momentous.
    - The whole exchange between Anakin and his mother is heartbreaking. And the music that comes after! This word is overused on the Internet, but CHILLS!
    - "What in the blazes is he doing there?" Obi-Wan's a bit grumpy in this movie. Like me. Also: I like how the line weirdly alludes (perhaps accidentally) to the inferno of Mustafar, the fires of hell ("blazes"). Obi-Wan is unconsciously signalling the idea that Anakin has already fallen into a terrible despair. But it is as nothing compared to what is to come. Strangely powerful detail.
    - Padme bringing Anakin that classic blue milk. Wouldn't we all like some before a megalomaniacal rant? Should have drank it before setting off, Anakin. Could have calmed you down.
    - I like the way Padme appears to be biting her lip and holding back a moment's disgust as Anakin crashes to the floor. There is also something forbidding about the use of bright light in AOTC, especially in this scene.
    - "Goodbye, my darling wife, and thank you." A fitting send-off that we probably wish we all could make in times of grief and stressful transition.
    - The way Owen grabs hold of Beru when Artoo rolls up. There is a real sense of isolation to the homestead and moisture farming generally. Other things are strange; outlandish. I like how such a small detail reinforces the bigger theme. This could be a metaphor for our own existence. What wonders lie in store in the bigger galaxy/cosmos.
    - The temptation scene between Obi-Wan and Dooku. Second temptation scene, second time the tempted refuses the tempter. And more great staging and acting.
    - Good physical acting in the droid factory. Anakin looks assured, until he has the wind knocked out of him. Padme is just trying to survive. As mentioned, I like the calamity that befalls Threepio, and Artoo's heroic rescue. These kids need bailing out by the littlelest/biggest kid of all. And all the symbolism! It's a great action set-piece, IMO.
    - The love pledge. I really like the way Anakin gives a very subtle nod of the head after Padme explains, "Now it looks as if our lives are about to be destroyed, anyway." Very nice direction.
    - "Good job!" Who can't enjoy how much of an *** Obi-Wan kind of is in this movie?
    - "Then, I'm sorry, old friend..." Christopher Lee owns this movie. And your house.
    - "Good call, my young padawan!" Obi-Wan makes up for his earlier sarcasm. And Anakin appreciates the compliment.
    - The argument between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the gunship. Tense!
    - Yoda sensing something bad and calling for a ship. That argument obviously sent some pretty big tremors going in the Force.
    - Obi-Wan screaming at Anakin as he defies his instructions and runs straight at Dooku.
    - "Surely, you can do better?" Well, his apprentice certainly can, in the next movie.
    - "I am a slow learner." Boy, you said it, Anakin. And I like how this throws Dooku.
    - Dooku's tired look. Anakin almost had him. Or he just regrets mutilating the Chosen One.
    - The entire confrontation between Yoda and Dooku. The stand-off at the beginning outdoes the actual duel, however (in my opinion).
    - Wedding scene. A thing of arresting beauty. And the music is fantastic. Don't go to Naboo if you have Hay Fever, however. Stick to sand planets.

ROTS

- War drums. Nothing has been said by anyone yet. We haven't even seen a face: human or robot. But those drums!
    - "In the name of...!!!" Obi-Wan cracks me up already.
    - "I'm not leaving without you, Master..." Anakin's early heroism is evident. And when he wanted to go back and help out the clones.
    - Anakin struggling to free himself from his starfighter after it crash-lands, while Obi-Wan is having a merry old time slicin' up some droids.
    - "Did I say anything?... I didn't say anything!" LOL.
    - "This time, we will do it together..."; "I was about to say that..." Some subtle humour between the two that is well-delivered.
    - "Your swords, please..." Again, Christopher Lee owns this movie, your house, and even the allotment you haven't yet bought for your retirement.
    - Anakin's facial expressions and body language just before and after killing Dooku. Extremely well-conveyed by Hayden.
    - Palpatine's conniving. And Ian McDiarmid does it all perfectly. Of course.
    - "Patience?" Good teasing from Obi-Wan, more good banter between the pair. Love this entire opening sequence.
    - "You lose, General Kenobi!" Grievous is really fun. And he seems to have something to prove to Obi-Wan, doesn't he? I like how that antagonism is never really explained.
    - Anakin's piloting of the Invisible Hand -- or what's left of it. A nice plot link with TPM is how the "evidence" of Anakin's crimes is conveniently eviscerated (droid control ship in TPM, the observation platform where Anakin kills Dooku in this opening sequence).
    - "Another happy landing." This got laughs at my cinema viewings.
    - The lovers' reuniting. It's a very tender and fetching scene. Bad dialogue, bad acting?
    - Grievous hunched over and wheezing as he hastily disembarks from his ship to call up the hologram of Sidious. Good rhyme with Anakin's later running to the same man; and good character animation in general.
    - Anakin waking up in a cold sweat, putting on his gown, sitting on his own amidst a vast cityscape at night, Padme switching on the lamps, and all the acting that follows. A scene that has a melancholic, stately pacing to it with lovely lighting and music. And that veranda set! Probably the best line is, "You die in childbirth", because of the time Anakin takes to say it. It's as if, as he's saying it, he's cementing the reality of it in his mind: damning himself, damning the pair of them, damning the whole galaxy, there and then. Love that piece of direction.
    - After Anakin smoulders, "What?!" at being denied the rank of Master, I love Mace's face: a look of sadness, anger, and yes... fear.
    - "The Council is asking you." I love the entire exchange and that last line really seals the deal. Obi-Wan looks so hurt when he says it. Wonderful lighting on his face, too.
    - "Anakin did not take to his new assignment with much enthusiasm..." No sith! This is where we get a sense (or I do, at least) that Obi-Wan has begun making excuses for Anakin and tried to avoid dwelling on the negative -- the opposite of how he was when speaking about Anakin to Yoda and Mace in AOTC. It's one more link in the chain that is the Tragedy Of Anakin Skywalker (and The Tragedy Of Obi-Wan Kenobi).
    - Padme pausing for a moment and regathering her dignity after Anakin accuses her of sounding like a separatist. These films don't get nearly enough credit for the subtlety of some of the acting. And Padme pressing into Anakin's solar plexus (the location of Vader's chest-plate/control-box) at the end of the scene. A gentility soon to be lost.
    - The whole opera/ballet scene is worthy of acclaim, but one small detail I particularly like is the way Anakin looks to his left after the disagreement between he and Palpatine over the Jedi, which carries a feeling of resentment, and maybe unease. A part of Anakin wants to escape this whole conflict, I think; and another part is stressing over whether Palpatine may actually be more correct than Anakin wants to admit.
    - The really bitter look Anakin has on his face after he nervously puts forward the idea that he should lead the campaign to face Grievous, only to be instantly shot down by Mace and then see the vote given unanimously to Obi-Wan. "I knew it, I knew it..." he seems to be saying. Really great bit of direction again.
    - The farewell scene between Anakin and Obi-Wan. This is HUGE!!! In 2005, I was completely ignorant of the significance and worth of this scene. Like other fans, I just read it as a sincere parting. But now, in 2015, I think only Obi-Wan is sincere, and Anakin interprets his words as canned encouragement. Anakin has already slipped a long way; and I was unable to countenance that properly in 2005. I ask you to look at the way Anakin lowers his head the moment Obi-Wan launches into his "great Jedi" spiel; and the extremely suggestive look he gives to Obi-Wan/the sky after he boards the ship. A perfect gaze of "Damn you!" This then leads quite smoothly into the scene between Anakin and Padme where Anakin flatly tells his wife, "Obi-Wan and the Council don't trust me." If you then watch the farewell scene with this in mind, it becomes quite evident that Anakin, while he might be genuine in his self-assessment to Obi-Wan, is not being entirely sincere with it: using the truth in an insincere way (wonder who he picked that up from?). When Obi-Wan -- from Anakin's POV -- fails to respond openly and speak to Anakin as an equal, which Anakin seems to believe he has now earned, (the real killer is: "I have taught you everything I know" >> "It's not a story the Jedi would tell you"), Anakin rules Obi-Wan out as any longer being straight with him. Some confusion probably arises from the fact that he wishes Obi-Wan well at the end, but I see this as a way of Anakin trying to clear his conscience; or maybe even the suggestion of some remaining naivete that perhaps Obi-Wan will actually say something genuine at the last second, but obviously doesn't. Which leaves Anakin in a terrible bind. Brilliant scene!!! And still very tragic with this reading; all the moreso, actually.
    - "Come on, when have I ever let you down?" Okay, so before Anakin and Padme have their chat, there is this brief scene. And it's one I've always loved. Creepy line when you think Obi-Wan is shot down on Utapau by Cody. And yet -- something plain fun in it, too. I also adore Obi-Wan's parting remark: "Very well. The burden is on me not to destroy all the droids until you arrive." I think I even clapped at this, or at least chuckled, when no-one else did in the cinema. Obi-Wan is pretty fabulous in this movie and I just get a kick out of that moment every time.
    - "I want more. And I know I shouldn't." You actually feel Anakin's soul buckling in this scene. Love the music and, yet again, the direction of this moment. Having him stood against the window, this hulking giant -- powerful, yet isolated -- actually communicates something pretty profound about human psychology. And along with it is the fear and disbelief of Padme, who can barely understand the seriousness of Anakin: how cut-off he's become, far he's prepared to go. And tragic how she can't reach him; the gulf that now exists between them. Strange that people call their exchanges wooden or say that the love story has no real depth to it. Personally, I'm inclined to think it's for moments like this that Lucas made the prequel trilogy.
    - "Greetings, young Jedi. What brings you to our remote sanctuary?"; "Unfortunately, the war."; "There's no war here, unless you've brought it with you..." That is a great exchange. Tion is a great character brought to life by a fantastic actor. And I like how the two are speaking in a sort of code here as beady eyes watch from above. To this day, I still haven't worked out a reasonable answer as to how Obi-Wan suddenly switches his position -- one moment, he's in the cockpit, and the next, he's watching his starfighter fly back alone. But it's a great little ruse. And the shot of Obi-Wan watching the ship arc up into the sky -- WOW!!!! This is why I l can never tire of these movies.
    - "Hello, there!" Yes, it's wonderfully timed, isn't it? The alacrity of Obi-Wan in this movie!!! And I love when he brings the BMT (Big Metal Thing) down on Grievous' bodyguards. That's a dirty little "industrial" motif harkening back to the droid factory and its stamping presses in AOTC. The two-headed announcer also states that Anakin will be "hard-pressed" to catch up with the leaders in the podrace. Anyway, really cool to see a Jedi using the environment like that; and it's also a bit aggressive and Sith-like. Sorry. Half this response has not been about acting and actors, but symbolism and set design. I guess I can't help myself.
    - "You fool!" That. Right. There. That, there, folks, is probably the cheesiest retort in any of the movies, and it's perfect.
    - How weary Mace looks in the Jedi War Council scene. Tired of war, tired of plotting. Preparing to wrest control. Yoda's warning is crucial and it goes unheeded.
    - The whole "Sidious Revealed" scene is fantastic, but several moments really impress: i) the close-up on Anakin's face when he says, "I know there are things about the Force that they're not telling me", ii) the way Palpatine seems to goad Anakin into making that remark by beckoning Anakin to say something that fits with what he's been telling him (he does this twice in a row before rising from his chair), iii) the way Palpatine says the word "Jedi" the first time he uses it, iv) the way Palpatine suddenly stops walking and hangs his mouth open with mock surprise after saying, "even the nature of the Dark Side", v) "Use my knowledge, I beg you" >> there's some weird lighting in this moment; as if Palpatine were Lucifer ("light giver") in full glory, vi) "a life of significance, of conscience" >> Palpatine can barely say that with a straight face, vii) "I can feel your anger, it gives you focus, makes you stronger" >> another fantastic close-up and the acting couldn't be better, viii) the smile that says "you're kinda screwed, now, aren't you" to Anakin from Palpatine at the end. All in all, quite breathtaking.
    - "So uncivilized." Obi-Wan at it yet again. But this is also the last of Obi-Wan's classic wit. The film turns notably darker right after Grievous' organic matter is incinerated. Something quite ominous -- as ever -- in the use of such symbolism. Here is where the film begins to enter a whole new tier of urgency and operatic expression. The fun is over, tragedy takes hold. Apocalyptic fireworks about to scorch the sky.
    - "Master Windu, I must talk with you." That line is actually quite profound. Think on it for a moment.
    - "Skywalker..." It's somewhat odd to note how casual Mace suddenly is with Anakin; not least because Anakin was meant to be spying on Palpatine and reporting back to the Jedi so that they would have "a clue to his intentions". Now, suddenly, that has become irrelevant, and Anakin is a third wheel. This extremely basic response from Mace -- the sparsest of acknowledgements -- arguably conceals a much darker motive on the Jedi's part. Anakin could just have been a tool the whole time to frisk Palpatine and put him on edge. Maybe the Jedi didn't care if Anakin got found out as a spy; maybe that's what they wanted. In this regard, and echoing Lucas' words in the "Making Of" book, Anakin is "just a pawn in the whole scheme": the scheme of the Sith *and* the Jedi. It's amusing because Mace could then be feigning surprise when Anakin tells him that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. As has been noted in the RLM review, Mace continues to walk at a sedate pace. Anakin's revelation doesn't seem to change anything. It is "too late" to alter the nature of the beast. The Jedi have already resolved to overthrowing Palpatine. All Anakin represents is a nuisance, a danger, a threat. Be casual and pretend you'll be kind to him later. Pretend you're actually being kind now. "For your own good, stay out of this affair." Of course, the Jedi inserted Anakin right into the middle of "this" (sith) affair, so he can hardly keep out. And that is a problem they must now face: despite orders, Anakin cannot just un-involve himself. Everyone here feels there is too much at stake (to echo wording a little later from Obi-Wan). They will mindlessly go to their destinies.
    - The ruminations sequence is haunting. It stops the main narrative in its tracks and functions as an eerie interlude: a pocket of calm in a tightly-plotted, manic filmic construction. But it, too, is part of the filmic construction, and like much else, is over far too soon. Yet it leaves its mark. People say that this is some of Lucas' finest direction. I agree. But I also think, in agreeing, one is under-selling the rest. So I shall also disagree. Or remain mute and turn away with a tear in my eye. Someone grab me an airspeeder. There's a man's reputation and filmic legacy to save.

Because this response grew to epic proportions and has taken far too long to write, I'm going to just sum up in a more strictly impressionistic style the last half of ROTS, which is otherwise the most emotional and hardest-hitting hour of the entire saga. Perhaps what I am trying to say, on one level, is "res ipsa loquitur" (it speaks for itself). Let's see how I go:

- "What have I done?" Tragic and beautiful. Anakin is only thrown into deeper confusion and longs for guidance. This is not a moment of victory. Vader stands for fear, pain, sorrow, and loss.
    - "And so it is." Bail's wonderfully-understated interpretation of a massacre and his own political obsolescence.
    - "Anakin, I'm afraid." Darkness grows. There is a very strong sense of all our characters being overwhelmed after Sidious emerges and kills Mace. Balance destroyed.
    - "Artoo, stay with the ship." While I go and murder some people. We'll get Drive-Thru later. I love that close-up. Artoo's worries, which he earlier tried to communicate to Threepio, but got given the brush-off, start to come true. Artoo is just as tragic a character in this movie as any of those pesky humans.
    - "Anakin's the father, isn't he? I'm so sorry." Sympathetic, yet so, so cold. And this is the carrot dangled to get Padme to inadvertently give up Anakin's location: to tragically bring Obi-Wan right to him. One is reminded of Obi-Wan rebuking Anakin for using Padme as bait in AOTC.
    - "Anakin, all I want is your love." This line is heart-breakingly simple, pure, and, yes, a word I almost can't use enough at this point, tragic.
    - The look on Anakin's face when he tells Padme they can rule the galaxy together. And the way Padme backs away in horror. Very clenching.
    - "Because of Obi-Wan?" I like how patronizingly Anakin says this. Feigned tenderness. "Tell me the truth, now..."
    - "Liar!" Notice how melodramatic Anakin gets at this point? It's all a bit of a show: for Obi-Wan. Anakin is still enslaved to his earlier emotions.
    - "Your new Empire?" This is a great line and a great delivery. Ewan is very strong in this film. Playing a "square" can be cool.
    - "I shall do what I must." Listen to the calm way the man says that, Anakin. He means it.
    - "You will try." Okay, don't listen, then.
    - "Not if anything to say about it, I have!" Anger management issues. It's okay, even Yoda gets 'em.
    - "I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend..." Freshly-upholstered carpets? Oh, right. Sith Empires, killing all his enemies, and gloating about it without having to restrain himself a moment longer. Awesome line.
    - "Don't try it." Anakin's earlier line reflected back. A lot of "reflecting back" in ROTS, just in the climax alone (Yoda/lightning). And there is something that suggests both wilfulness and reluctance simultaneously from Obi-Wan in this moment, I think. He seems to be giving Anakin one final chance, but also making sure that Anakin is liable to fail. Subtle Jedi mind trick. "Do or do not. There is no try."
    - "You were my brother..." Well, damn. And Anakin looked upon Obi-Wan more like a "father". Tragic disjuncts in the character relationships to the very end.
    - "Is Anakin alright?" Depends if you prefer him crispy or medium-rare. Sorry. It is a sad line; soon to be repeated by Anakin.
    - "I know there's still..." And then Padme goes still. Lots and lots of sadness in this part of the film.
    - "She was ALIVE! I felt it!!" Vader has arrived.
    - "Training?" That could be the best line-reading in the movie. Look how crushed Obi-Wan is; just about ready to fold. And these Jedi never give up with training, do they? You could give Obi-Wan one day off after a hellish mission to a lava planet. Relentless.
    - The snippet. It's almost a character in itself. The intersection of hopes and dreams and plans for the future, now long gone. A nightmare scenario now in place. And Jar Jar trying to comprehend where it all went wrong.
    - The sunset. Like the movie, I have to end on something of a happy, wistful note. It's a cleansing moment. Everyone deserves a new dawn.

Thank you.

5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    wow, quite a long list there Cryo :p

As for me, I like watching Palpatine's expressions on the invisible hand from the moment he is rescued to the landing.

I like: "Master Kenobi you disappoint me, Yoda holds you in such high esteem, surely you can do better :D"

I'll think of some more

JEDI-RISING, Pensivia and Cryogenic like this.
  6. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    It's okay. They haven't sent me off to the funny farm... yet. ;)

Pensivia and MarcJordan like this.
  7. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    A lot of my favourites have been said already, but some others:

Qui-Gon in TPM: "Training to become a Jedi is not an easy challenge. And even if you succeed, it's a hard life."

Anakin in AOTS: "They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I HATE them!" Hayden Christensen definitely sells it with that edge in his voice, and the murderous expression.

Obi-Wan in AOTS: (looks up at the chain he's cuffed to) "Good job." Sarcastic Obi-Wan is great.

Padme in ROTS: "So this is how liberty dies.....with thunderous applause." By far Portman's best line and delivery out of the prequels.

Yoda in ROTS: "A prophecy that misread, could have been." as well as "I hear a new apprentice you have, Emperor. Or, should I call you Darth Sidious?"

So many more, but I'd be here all day listing all of them. :p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Let me help you off the ledge....just kidding. [face_dancing]Here are some of my favs (you've got many of them already though), but without further ado...

Jar Jar : TPM: What yet? monsters out there, leaking in here, all sinkin' and no power? Whensa you thinkin' wesa in trouble????? (expressions, movements, sentiments, exasperation, and the naming of 4 issues faced (exaggerated), are all brilliant imo) I understand his confusion, irritation and pain too!

At the hangar (Boonta eve), after Watto shows that Sebulba is there and going to compete, the way Jar jar is shocked to see him and petrified "oh nooooo!" ROTFL! too good.

AOTC: Obi, obi!!!! Mesa so similing to see you, Sa!

Mesa accept this with muy muy humility and ah How moves his arms and head softly, then finishes of with...."me lady" and he bows down when he says that. I like the shadowy imagery too with Anakin looking distant watching. GL genius!

It is clear that these separatists betrayers....Jar Jar at his best dare say "civilized" even sophisticated diplomatic skills. :eek: and then when the Senate cheer, Jar Jar's face looking quite pleased.

Qui Gon TPM: His face at Padme after he says "the queen doesn't need to know"

When he says "Don't do that again" and he literally pulls Jar Jar's tongue further!

Obi Wan : Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?

AOTC: Obi Wan and Capt. Typho: I sure hope he doesn't try anything foolish. I'd me more concerned about her doing something, than him! (this works in so many ways, I can't tell you here [face_whistling] )

Only in your mind! My VERY young apprentice!

TPM Watto: No money, no parts, no deal!

The boy tells me, you want to sponsor him in the race, how can you do this??? (Watto one of the greatest secondary characters in the SW universe)

Take him (Watto now broken but resigned to agree) - Felt quite bad for the guy actually.

AOTC: Believe or not, I heard he freed and married her. Can you beat that? yeah!

Lots, lots more... later.

MJ

9. Camarasaur8

Camarasaur8 Jedi Master

Mar 24, 2013
    "At an end, your rule is. And not short enough it was".

10. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    I

"We would never do anything without the approval of the senate. You assume too much."
    "We will see."

"What's this?"
    "A local."

"Oh, Hello. I am See-Threepio, Human Cyborg Relations. How might I serve you?"
    "He's perfect."
    "Oh! Perfect!"

"Any attempt to escape—"
    "And they blow, you, up! Boom!" *smacks table*
    "How wude."

"It's very cold."

"We'll handle this."

II

"We will do exactly as the Council has instructed. And you will learn your place, young one."

"Where are you going, Master?"
    "For a drink."

"Mesa honored to be taking on disa heavy burden. Mesa accept dis wit moy moy humility and, uh—"
    "Jar Jar. I don't wish to hold you up. I'm sure you have a great deal of work to do."
    "Of course. Milady."

♬=♫=♫=♪=♬=♬... "No!" [face_worried] "I shouldn't have done that."

"He doesn't seem to take a hint, this guy."

"Well, shut me down. Machines making machines. How perverse."

III

"Alright, Arfour—no, no. Nothing too fancy."

"It was a dream."
    "Bad?"

"They want me to spy on the Chancellor? But that's treason."
    "We are at war, Anakin."

"He will not let me down. He never has."

"I AM the senate!"

"I have failed you, Anakin! I have failed you."

"Where is Padme? Is she safe? Is she alright?"

Andy Wylde and MarcJordan like this.
  11. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Anything that comes out of Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Sam Jackson and Christopher Lee's mouths. They just make any line work, and I don't even notice the questionable writing until someone else complains ("Only a Sith deals in absolutes").

Favourites include:
    "Not from a Jediiii..."
    "It's treeeason then!"
    "This is why I hate flying!"
    "Good Job!"
    "This party's over!"
    "Good...Twice the pride, double the fall!"

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    "On how good your manners are... and how big your... pocketbook is."

13. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I like the sobering nature of that line and the way Liam Neeson delivers it.

TPM sort of has the most "heart" about it, IMO.

Okay, Artoo. :p

Very nice exegesis.

Oh, yes! I love that moment.

Part of the fun, innocence, and charm of TPM. It's these little character doodles that really make it what it is.

And I'll add that I like how Jar Jar lurks near Qui-Gon for protection.

Watto is a pretty terrific character. I agree that he's one of the greatest "secondaries".

The secondaries, in some ways, are more intriguing and appealing than the "primaries".

You wanna learn more about them. See crazy spin-offs.

They definitely boost the fun of the entire series, in my opinion; and in a fairly non-trivial way.

That's such a dark and sinister line.

Interesting that Yoda makes a "size" pun, too.

"Judge me by my the length of my Chancellorship, do you?"

Very droll. And almost right after: "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

The prequel trilogy has horribly bland and inept dialogue? Really??

A surprisingly bleak and affecting line.

Okay, so Star Wars is very comic book-y, and much of the dialogue is a bit starchy, but I think Lucas deserves a lot more credit for the verbal construction, personally.

And I think it needs its companion:

"We'll take the long way." ;)

Damn right, you will!

Ah! I really should have included that one. Totally classic Kenobi.

If no-one else wants to say it, I will...

Nice notation!

Another golden Kenobi moment.

Nice. Very direct. And monosyllabic.

Yes. Kind of, "Get with the program, Anakin. Ethics are on vacation."

As piquant as that line is, I must admit that I've probably always preferred the follow-on lines/sounds:

"Not. Yet."
    "It's treason, then..."

*aaaaaarrrrghhhh!!!*

Great little list.

Gah... there are just so many nifty little line-grenades in the prequel trilogy.

Yes, it's all very exclamatory, and characters rarely have a long, sinusoidal conversation, but if you can get past that, there is a lot to enjoy; and a heck of a lot of repeat value.

All IMO, anyway.

MarcJordan likes this.
  14. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
  15. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    Also, how Sidious says "power". I just love it.

16. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Jar Jar "Ooh Maxi Big Da Force. Well that smell stink of it!" - How do I explain it? Jar Jar out of character possibly saying something so sarcastic it seems and how!. Again great CGI effects at work here with Jar Jar' s facial expressions, head movements etc. Love love love it!

Boss Nass: Yousa no tinken yousa greater den da Gungans? Mesa like dis. Maybe wesa... bein' friends. Everything turns around to the good at this point. See Boss Nass' hand and finger movements as he says the latter. He's not a dictator but father figure for the Gungans. Cuddly fellow too and softy at heart. :D

Nute Gunray : No need to report that to him, until we have something to report!!! It is the way he admonishes Ruune. See his forehead and then his eyes blink. Just marvelous animatronics. ILM you beauty! (not that I thought of ILM at that moment :p ).

This is getting out of hand. Now there are TWO of THEM! - Too good! Love it.

Jango: "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe". Jango trying to sound completely at peace and contented. See his shoulders when he says it. Yeah right.

Pack your things. We're leaving. (the prior contemplating face by Jango is priceless. ) and then the DECISION to get the *ell out!.

Mace Windu: No, he will not be trained- Casual as casual can be.

More coming up....

MJ

17. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Earlier in that scene, I always dug the little throwaway bit of inside-Mandalorian language: "Uah-Boba, udeh-soheep."

MarcJordan likes this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    A few of Padme's from AOTC:

"I do not like this idea of hiding." - Reminds me of her daughter, Leia.
    "I'll go with you." - I like the way she said it and thought it was very romantic.
    "They all died." (deleted scene) - You can hear the sadness and regret...why were those scenes cut?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    Although there are many, a few I like are:
    -Pretty much anything Palpatine/Sidious says in ROTS. (Especially: Yeah!, I am the Senate, the opera conversation, and the hahahahaha...aaaahhhh! when he's hanging in the Senate during his fight with Yoda.)
    -Mace's look at Jango after he kills him. This is an odd expression to me, and I find it partly funny, partly weird.
    -Anakin: This is where the fun begins. For some reason I noticed Anakin say it before realizing that Han said it first. I still think of this as Anakin's line.
    -Queen Amidala's sideways glance in TPM when speaking to the Senate.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    "Shoot her, or something!" I always LOL.[face_laugh]

21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
  22. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Boss Nass - "We will do assuhn part!"

The camaraderie there

MarcJordan likes this.
  23. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Palpatine: "Learn to know the dark side of the force and you will be able to save you wife from certain death". The beauty of it is his cynical "i care and feel your pain" sad smile at the end. Even better is the even more subtle smile after he says "and we shall have.. peace".

Andy Wylde and Pensivia like this.
  24. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    I love love love Ewan's delivery here in his confrontation with Padme in her apartment.

"You're going to kill him, aren't you?"
    "... He has become a very great threat."

Padme's accusation rips his heart out, because he knows Padme is horrified, and he knows she's right to be horrified, and he's horrified himself, to the point where he can barely bring himself to go through with it, but he knows that he is going to go through with it anyway, because he has to. And because he's a Jedi, this is all contained ... almost. The poker face cracks ... barely ... just barely. His delivery has just the right pause, and his voice has just the slightest, slightest crack.

Love it.

25. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Noticed another detail when watching TPM yesterday. Right before Watto and Qui Gon's "you swindled me" scene there is a small moment of Watto paying what is presumably his bookies, and you can hear him growling. Same growl can be heard when Qui Gon says "do you want to take it up with the Hutts?". Amazing scene overall.

MarcJordan likes this.