main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gd Rapids, MI Novel Ideas

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jabba974, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    So how many of you are into reading Star Wars novels?
    My short list:
    Thrawn Trilogy
    I, Jedi
    The X-wing series

Have read most everything, I think.
    anyone else?

2. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    The list of Star Wars books I've not read is a heck of a lot shorter than the ones I have.

Favourites include: anything by Timothy Zahn, because he's an excellent author and a really cool person. Anything by Matthew Stover because he's a freaking genius. I can't wait to read the novelization for RotS. X-Wing series, because it's just that much fun. The second half of the New Jedi Order series (i.e. anything that happens after Balance Point) is pretty good. And by pretty good, I mean some of the books are amazing, some are really good, and others are kinda meh.

Prequel era hasn't impressed me, with the exception of Shatterpoint, which I think is the best Star Wars novel ever written. Really cool to base it off of Heart of Darkness. Now if only they'd base a SW novel on Pride and Prejudice, I'd be a happy camper. :D

3. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    i'm in the midst of reading shatterpoint and i agree it's really a terrific book / i like the application of the metaphor - i think it's interesting that it's told from mace's point of view and knowing mace was portrayed by slj, that there's a distinct correlation with the various tribes fighting the summerwar and something very much akin to racial prejudice. i'm about 1/2 way into it where things are looking mighty desperate
    but i also think the phantom menace was extremely well-written and along with aotc gave the reader more background, character developement and interaction to chew on

4. jabba974

Sep 17, 2004
    I am stil hopeing for some early sith era novels.
    I have the comics but still not the same.

5. GeneralCrespin

GeneralCrespin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2004
    I read EVERYTHING post-prequel.

The G.R. area libraries have a ton of Star Wars books. Check it out at http://lakenet.llcoop.org , order anything from 40+ libraries to be delivered to the library nearest you... very nice. :)

6. sbarkema

sbarkema Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2004
    I've been reading the Star Wars novels since the original Timothy Zahn trilogy came out. I kept up with most of the novels though I don't get all the prequel era books nor have I gotten into the Young Jedi Knights series.

Some of my favorites have been:

Splinter of the Minds Eye
    Published in 1978, it is perhaps the only original novel that was written before all the original trilogy was out (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Han and Leia's relationship, force witches, and rancors.

Traitor
    In my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, installment of the New Jedi Order series if for no other reason than it was very different than the rest and really focused on a small number of characters.

7. jabba974

Sep 17, 2004
    just picked up Jedi trials and Republic commando: Hard contact last night, haven't had a chance to read them yet.

8. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    The Han Solo series was out in the late 70s, early 80s. I'm not sure of the exact dates, but I know they were out before ROTJ.

:D

9. jabba974

Sep 17, 2004
    just started reading the new Yoda novel so far pretty cool.

10. Kettchs_Girl

Kettchs_Girl Jedi Master star 1

Mar 22, 2004
    3 full shelves of books. Not all are in english, but they're there all the same. I haven't read many prequel novels, but I've read pretty much all the rest, as well as own them.

I think I counted a total of over 200 novels, counting the young adult and foreign language ones too.

11. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "just started reading the new Yoda novel so far pretty cool."

I should be getting that one for Christmas. Aside from that, I only have a handful of SW books. Mainly the "Tales from..." series, a few X-Wing books, and a couple others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.