main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD NSWFF 2011 Survey - come in and share your thoughts!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 1, 2012.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello, NSWFFers! We have reached the end of another wonderful year of fanfiction, and what a year it has been! We have had a wonderful influx of stories and new faces in the last year, and this new year is shaping up to be even better. To help that effort, we?d like to take a moment to ask you all a few questions about what you think about our lovely forum.

Please, feel free to post your answers here or PM them to us if you would rather not make them public. If you feel uncomfortable putting your name on your response, the three JC admins ? Grimby the Hutt, Katya_Jade, and LAJ_FETT ? are more than willing to receive your PMs and pass them on to us.

1. First, one of our main goals this year is to increase traffic and participation in the Well of Lost Plots. What would you personally like to see new or improved in the NSWFF resource? We want to make it shine for you, so tell us how!

2. Secondly, we are looking for ideas concerning the actual forum itself. Is there anything you'd like to see improved or changed?

3. We were considering the idea of creating a thread solely for the purpose of encouraging writers. Think of it like a support group ? this would be a thread where you would post your goals and your issues with writer's block and DRL and have friendly advice and encouragement from other writers. Would you would be interested in seeing a thread like this? Would you would participate in/use it personally?

4. And then, finally, we want your feedback about your friendly neighborhood mods! This is the part where you get to tell us how we are doing our job. No punches pulled, please.

Additionally, this is also the time to drop any general questions or comments. We are looking for anything and everything with this survey, so please ? go wild.

Now that the technicalities are out of the way, we also have some shiny new things to check out this year:

* Our very own Mod challenge! Win honor, self-satisfaction, and, did I mention, colors?

* A new year means for a new spin on the Fifty Sentence Challenge ? come and challenge your muse!

* We are looking for a handy banner designer. If you are so artistically inclined, then check out the thread we have going here.

Thank-you for taking the time to leave your thoughts! [:D]

~MJ @};-

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. First, one of our main goals this year is to increase traffic and participation in the Well of Lost Plots. What would you personally like to see new or improved in the NSWFF resource? We want to make it shine for you, so tell us how!

By The Well of Lost Plots, if you mean the Resource forum for Non-Star Wars, I suggest perhaps creating more Mod activities for people to do. Perhaps either weekly, or monthly. They seem to get the most attention. Not necessarily an activity of where you'd win a prize, but just a simple Writing Challenge. Perhaps similar to the one that Kelia and Ish host on the Writers Resource forum as it's always fun, or you can always do a trivia challenge of sorts. Whatever you choose to do, perhaps try changing genre, periodically. Example: Twilight, Harry Potter... I use a few different Fan Fiction Web sites. I have always found that people will often have a range of interests, and are not always focused on a specific genre. It might be good to play up to that somehow.
    I suggest considering creating one specific thread dedicated to updates for the Non-Star Wars Fan Fiction forum inside of the Writers Resource. It will create an archive of sorts, and it might be easier to track whats happening.

2. Secondly, we are looking for ideas concerning the actual forum itself. Is there anything you'd like to see improved or changed?
    Perhaps create a main Fan Fiction index for people to read. Perhaps not sorted by genre, but by submission date. Similar to those Indexes for Beyond and Saga... etc. But applied to NSFF.

3. We were considering the idea of creating a thread solely for the purpose of encouraging writers. Think of it like a support group ? this would be a thread where you would post your goals and your issues with writer's block and DRL and have friendly advice and encouragement from other writers. Would you would be interested in seeing a thread like this? Would you would participate in/use it personally?

I think this would be a great addition to the forum. It seems to be successful in the WR forum. I don't really take part, but I do read it and find the information useful.

4. And then, finally, we want your feedback about your friendly neighbourhood mods! This is the part where you get to tell us how we are doing our job. No punches pulled, please.

You seem to be doing alright with the forum. I don't really have a suggestion for this one.

3. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Thank-you very much for taking the time to leave your thoughts, you have definitely given us a few things to think on! We have also gotten one other survey by PM, and you guys have given us lots of ideas. =D=

Any other takers? [face_batting]

~MJ @};-

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006

I second Sara_Kenobi's thoughts on how to increase traffic here in the Resource Forum. By offering more of a mix of challenges and other interests for all of the different genres that exist, then you are not pre-selecting just a certain movie/show/series/etc. but encouraging any fandom to contribute.

It might bring more of attention-getter to feature a new movie or show that you want to see what people think of it (like Sherlock Holmes, Mission Impossible, and the other movies or new TV shows that will be showing up soon). Maybe having something like The Amphitheatre and the SFF: Films and TV incorporated into NSWFF would work as well if you want to think about merging forums that have similar interests.

This is a really great idea, but the Fan Fiction Resource Thread already has pretty many threads dedicated towards helping writers, so unless you want to do something more specifically geared towards NSWFF or threads that deal with the goals of the writer and ways to reach them, then I could see that helping tremendously. Also, getting a story of the month or author of the month feature going again would be great to showcase authors' writings and hopefully contribute to them being read and reviewed more often.

4. And then, finally, we want your feedback about your friendly neighborhood mods! This is the part where you get to tell us how we are doing our job. No punches pulled, please.

The Mods have tried to get attention to NSWFF about as much as I think is reasonably possible. It's definitely going to be harder to attract someone to a NSWFF story versus a Star Wars one considering this is mainly a Star Wars oriented site, but other fandoms are just as much a part of people's lives as Star Wars is and hopefully there will be more interest in NSWFF as more popular novels that are made into movies like the future The Hobbit movie and the previous Lord of the Rings movies have done with that fandom.

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Thanks, RX_Sith, for taking the time to leave your thoughts. You certainly have given us lots to think on. [:D]

Nat and I were also tossing around the idea of having a index for all of the stories that have been posted thus far - one that would be regularly updated with new stories and what not. It may be a good way for people to find fandoms they are specifically interested in - especially for those who come to read, rather than write. Would anyone be interested in chipping away at that project - which would be deserving of a title if done thoroughly, and colours even, initially. [face_thinking][face_batting]

~MJ @};-

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you all so much for the responses!

[quote-RX]you want to do something ... that deal with the goals of the writer and ways to reach them[/quote]

Yep, this is what we were thinking :)

7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I've got a lot on my plate right now, and I am still behind in my 50 Sentences response (though I *am* working on it), but I could lend a hand with that project, provided it could be done over a certain amount of time. Do you know if said index would be organized by fandom, or by author, or both? And whether the descriptions of the stories would be extensive or simple? I'm just trying to understand how much work would be required, that's all.

Cheers,

Lauré :)

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    That's a good question, and thank-you so much for the interest!

It would be a huge project, that's for certain, so we are not looking for a time restraint on it, at all. We were thinking more along the lines if it could be done, some time. :D

And then, we were thinking about indexing by Fandom (since by Author would make it look kind of like the Prolific Author's Thread. :p), and then having it done by Author or alphabetical order within the fandom - whichever works best. We'd like to keep the descriptions of the stories as well - most authors put the genre/rating/characters in their first post, and we would love to carry that over into the index. If such things are not readily available, then a N/a could be put down, so as to not put too much stress on the index'ers back.

It is a hefty undertaking, that is for sure. 8-}

And then, on a side note, woohoo for more sentences! Now THAT I am looking forward to. [face_dancing][:D]

~MJ @};-