main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

October Meet Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Ryno, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    October is just around the corner. It's one of my favorite months because it's time for Halloween and what says Halloween better than Salem MA. As some of you may know, Salem is Dex's backyard and there has been talk of doing a Halloween themed meet up there for some time. Well, I think the time is right. We can all take the Commuter Rail up there together and have a fun day of creepy sightseeing.How do I know it will be creepy? Dex will be the tour guide of course.

Date: October 18, 2003
    Time: 12 Noon
    Event: Something scary
    Place of meeting: Somewhere scary

2. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    (Scott, don't know if it'll be of interest, but there are also buses that run to Salem from S Station and I'd be willing to bet they're more frequent than Commuter Rail)

Ok boils and ghouls, here's a few things to mull over:
    * Wear comfortable shoes! It may sound like a no-brainer, but we'll be doing lots of walking.
    * Bring money. Salem is a tourist spot, there are TONS of shops. There are some things to see around town where you won't need cash, but this is the minority. Plus, there's a really cool comics/collectibles shop called Harrison's that I have a feeling we'll be going to :)
    * Any type of ghost walk/tour of the city will not take place until dark,usually 7-8pm. Don't know how long everyone will be here. Halfway thru the month, the tours sell out quick. If we decide on one of these it needs to be relatively soon!

Around town:
    *Dracula's Castle
    *Salem Museum of Myths & Monsters
    *Salem's Witch Mansion (all haunted house type things)
    *The House of Seven Gables (for you Lit buffs. Special night-time candlelit tours of the house with actors portraying the novel's characters)
    *New England Pirate Museum (arrrr!)
    *Salem Witch Museum
    *Salem Witch Village
    *Witch Dungeon Museum
    *Witch History Museum
    (seeing a theme yet?)
    *Witch House (home of Witch Trial Judge Johnathan Corwin)
    *Salem Willows (not walking distance from downtown, but there is a cheap shuttle bus. Has a great arcade with pinball machines and old school arcade games)
    *Haunted Footsteps Ghost Tour (night only)

Click here for an online list with links to websites about each attraction.
    Click here for Haunted Happenings Info.
    Or you can go here to get the Visitor's Guide to Salem in PDF format.

3. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Ooo! I want to do everything, hehe. Why can't it be October already? :D

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Ooh! I've just started school in the area, and I'd really definitely be interested in seeing Salem in all its proper Halloween glory. Not completely sure about the date yet, but in all likelihood, you can count me in.

-Paul

5. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Due to inaccessibility (and time of day), this'll be the third or fourth meet in a row that I'll have to miss. :(

6. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Most, if not all, the things I listed above are year round. So if you wanna check them out before/after the meet go for it! :) It's just they do extra stuff starting in October at some places, like the House of Seven Gables. They still do the regular tours of the house during the day.

7. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I'll be there. This meet sounds really cool.
    I think I heard about that comic shop, if its the same one, I know theres a really good one in Salem, MA.

8. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    Salem is neat. Could be a fun meet.

Edit: That rhymed!

9. buniculaAIM

buniculaAIM Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2003
    I'm hoping / planning to have my jedi outfit done by then, so maybe i'll be able to join up and meet people all at once. I still need to finish the sash and tabbards, and make the robe. But I have a month.

*waves to the group*

Hi, I'm Brian, and I'm making a Jedi Costume.

10. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Feel free to join us even if you don't have a costume. After all, it won't be Halloween yet.

11. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Yeah, I doubt I'll have a costume by then, or at all. Lack of skill and time. :)

12. buniculaAIM

Sep 22, 2003
    i thought one had to have a costume in order to join?

either way, it looks like i'm going to be going to salem one way or another, so it should work out well.

i'll be the guy in the brown robe with the light saber ;)

13. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    Does one? For I would like to join and have no costume.

-Paul

14. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    You DO NOT need a costume to join the Rebels.
    I don't know why this is spreading around.

There are two requirements to join the Rebels:
    1.) post on our TF.N boards
    2.) come to a meet.

:)

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Where will everyone be meeting?

16. darth_paul

Apr 24, 2000
    Okay, sounds good to me. And thanks to the person (was it you, Dowe?) who tracked me down on AIM to tell me so. It is much appreciated.

-Paul

17. buniculaAIM

Sep 22, 2003
    it's because on the http://www.rebellegion.com web site that is one of the requirements.

i had just assumed that boston rebels was the local branch of the rebellegion, like the 501st new england garrison (www.501neg.com) is the local branch of the 501st.

is that not the case?

*i'm so confused!*

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    It goes like this:

501st New England Garrison is to the 501st Legion
    -as-
    Echo Base is to the Rebel Legion

The 501st Legion is a world wide group of costumers who do the Sith Lord/Imperial Government-Officer-Military/Bounty Hunter/etc thing.
    The Rebel Legion is a world wide group costumers who do the Jedi Knight/Rebel(Republic)Government-Officer-Military/Smugglers/etc thing.
    The FanForce.Net group is made up of people who do all of the above.
    None of the mentioned organizations are directly linked together but compliment eachother just the same. I hope this helps clear things up for you.

P.S.: If anyone sees my description as false or flawed, please correct me so that I don't mis-inform anyone else.

19. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Yeah, that's essentially right. You *do* need a costume to be a member of the Rebel Legion or the 501st. FanForce is a much more informal organization. Each group has its own "membership" requirements, like Tony (Darth Dowe) told you our requirements are that you post on the boards and come to a meet. There are lots of people in the FanForce groups that are also members of the Rebel Legion and 501st, and you'll see us together often at conventions and other Star Wars fan gatherings, but the three organizations are definitely separate entities. :)

20. buniculaAIM

Sep 22, 2003
    cool, so now i understand. thanks all!

21. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Bah, too bad we can't have a meet this Saturday - I'm driving the men's rugby team to BU. :p I'm fixin' to take the Green Line into town to nab a bite to eat, though... *wink wink nudge nudge* ;)

22. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    I dispatched a couple of probe droids to surrounding FF to see if anyone else was interested in joining us.
    We have a couple of hopefuls from NH Echo Base, Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr and Tycho.

23. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Ok peeps, the time is drawing near. Would you rather:
    A- Have some kind of game plan: Pick two or three things from the list (or the visitor's guide) and post em. Then we can figure out what to hit.
    OR
    B - Walk around and play it by ear: We'll do what we want, planning be damned!

24. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I think a plan would be a good idea. I've never been to any of these places so I'm not sure what would be the best things to do.I'd love to hit this Comic Store I've heard about.

25. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I like Dracula's Castle.
    It's cheesy, but one part makes you poop your pants! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.