main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL October Meeting summary

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Pikaroth, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    Well, I figure I would post about what happened at our amazing meeting on the 18th. Campbell, who took notes (with my pen, but his paper, see a shared event), was going to post, but he has vanished (I hope I did not get him sick), so I will attempt to go over what happened.

First, only three of us were there: Me, Ia, and Campbell. Still, believe it or not, towards the end, we actually did cover some stuff. Thanks to a rather bad morning, I was driving around earlier that day and, out of nowhere, decided to see if everyone was going to eat. I called Ia, and she and I met at what used to be Angel's Diner but was now, amazingly, a place called Philly's Something-Or-Other. This is one of those things you had to be there for, but *everyone* in the place was dropping stuff from the moment we walked in. It was almost surreal, but without a doubt, everyone dropped something. Very odd.

So, after that, we made our way to the library. I got lost again. Well, not lost, turned around, and even though we should have been there at the same time, I walked in probably ten minutes later than the others. I'll make the correct turn one of these days.

Ia had written stuff on the board to discuss. I don't think we discussed it, though, until later. We laughed about stuff, talked about what you would expect, and about an hour later, Ia had to leave in order to make it somewhere to pick up a costume (or something like that... correct me if I'm wrong). After she left, I thought Campbell and I would talk for a few minutes, but we actually ended up staying for over an hour, and we actually did discuss most of the stuff Ia had written about.

First, in regards to getting new members: We decided that is all but impossible; we then proceeded to laugh at ourselves. We would be happy if we could even get three more members, but there is no way. We're doomed. Maybe someday.

We did discuss what else we could do at the meetings, and this is where I hope Campbell can write in regards to what all was brought up. Instead of just sitting at the library talking, we think it would be great to consider, perhaps, going bowling, playing pool, playing paintball, or just *something* else besides sitting around. That is not to way we cannot sit around for an hour or so at first, but we need to make time to go and *do* something, anything. I have not played paintball in years, but I'd love to do so again. Sadly, I think for some it might be expensive, but we can see about that. Bowling is something I have not done since 7th grade, literally, but I'd do so again in a heart beat. Pool, though, I have never once tried in my life, ever, but I can learn sometime, right?

I am personally against going to see a movie as a group; I despise seeing movies with more than, at the most, two others, and even then, I prefer just one other person. Groups tend to talk and try to make a scene of themselves thinking they are "kewl" to act up and talk out loud during a movie. Sadly, it seems this particular way of acting in a theater is not confined to high school students nowadays, but all age groups seem to take a certain pride is *not* watching a movie they just paid $8+ to sit through. Also, that is the other thing, if we are together as a group, I don't know why we would spend the time sitting in a dark room instead of talking, getting to know each other better, and all that fun-filled stuff. So, if the Orlando Fan Force ever does attend a movie, it will be without me.

But that brings us back to everything else we can do: bowling, pool, paintball, and whatever else we can come up with. It gives us something to discuss.

We also want to have our next meeting sooner rather than later. Even with just three of us, it went well, and hopefully James and Stefanie can attend the next one, and that would give us five people total, with, Force willing, anyone else we can get to come.

So, that's it. Long post, but what the hell, don't read it if it's too long, right?

Well then, when should we have the next meeting, where should it b

2. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah I hope to definately be at the next one. Unfortunately I was hoping to move to Orlando- but that plan is now a idea gone sour for various reasons. But in all actuallity- the Orlando Group has more life to it then the Melbourne group at the moment- though they do have a lot of secret gatherings. So how about we aim for the 15th of November? So when we gonna have a Orlando Fanforce outing??? Like seeing a movie or something? Loosen everyone up- let everyone get to know each other and so on and so forth. Well I guess that does it for me.

3. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    I hope to make a meeting and soon. The last two times I went to out of state conventions. This month Im going to hit the Collect O Con, so I should be able to attend the next one. I kow what you mean aboutgroups being loud at movies, happened to me the other night. There was about 10 of them, they were so loud and I was so mad that I had to say something to them. At least I didnt get beat up. Hope to see a few of you at the convention this weekend.

Dale

4. Darth_Ehmon

Darth_Ehmon Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2003
    I will hopefully attend the next meeting if I don't have a lab at that time. Everyone is talking about something to do and that was a problem with my two other SW friends in Iowa. We usually just sat around, looked at each other's collections, and went figure hunting. Something I propose is to get a fanfilm project going. I am studying filmmaking at school and have the neccessary tools of my own as well to create a SW Fanfilm. I have created lightsaber effects and blaster bolts. I am able to produce Force Lightning and even bluescreen work. Me and my friends always found it took up a lot of time and was great to see a finally project. Any thoughts on this?

5. askywalker98

askywalker98 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    So you need ideas for your group get togethers... let me think...

We could play telephone with our favorite star wars qoutes!

No, seriousley. Let me start a list

Bowling

Ice Skating

Paintballing (If everyone has a gun, I got a cheap place we can go, beats the balls outta Orlando Paintball)

Playing pool? where?

Hanging out at various places at city walk

Playing with action figures

Descuss FanFilm ideas in a nice park, maybe even fight with toy sabers.

Going to arcades

XboX/PC LAN Party

Go to a sci-fi collectors store (I think there is one left, I know they cosed the one by Universal)

Going to the movies (Star Wars only)

Hang out at someones house, like a party.

Go to the library

And thats it for now, give me some more time to think.

-Anthony

6. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    November 15th might just be the best date, unless anyone wants to get really wacky and attempt one for the 8th, in only two weeks. I know at the meeting the three of us discussed having another one in about three weeks or so, which would then be hte 8th, but if the 15th is the one people want, that, too, is fine by me.

So, what does everyone think of November 15th, or if not, any other days that people can think of? Throw them out there, and we'll see if they stick!

Brandon

7. AdlinSkymeck

AdlinSkymeck Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    I would definatly like to meet with you guys. Most likely the 15th would be best for me because I am moving and won't be settled in on the 8th. Bowling would be fun. Discussing a fanfilm would be a cool idea too. I would love to be in one.

8. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    We're having the same problem up here in Daytona with members. But one thing that really helped was having our last meeting be a BBQ at a public place. We got 3 potential new members! Also, I know Ia goes to UCF, so have you guys tried tapping that resource? All of our members are Riddle students. I don't like that, just because I want to branch out more into the community, but we had a good 10 people show up at our last meeting. Just a thought :)

9. askywalker98

Apr 18, 2003
    Well then Ia needs to go to UCF and find some people to join the cause! So this months meeting is forming quite nicely I am seeing. Good job guys (and girls).

10. chewbacca1138

chewbacca1138 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Hmmmm...seems to me that God has a conspiracy against me for the 15th. I have an audition on that day, and apparantely we have state marching competition that day as well, so either way I'm going to be extremely busy all day.
    As for the 8th, no can do since I have FBA Marching Festival. Yes, two lovely weekends of non-stop marching fun!!!!

11. Darth_Ehmon

Oct 26, 2003
    The 15th might work for me. I don't have a lecture on the 15th, but I don't have my all my Lab schedules so I am not for sure. It does look promising. Has anyone decided at what time or where, or is it to far away for the specifics?

12. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    So the 15th!? If only Ia was here to set the date.

13. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Ah FBA. I remember those days well :)

14. jedirandALL

jedirandALL Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    I could make the 15th

a fan film would be fun ..I'd love to direct..
    I do have a rough story I wrote, but it could be tweaked to something the group would like to do

15. Darth_Ehmon

Oct 26, 2003
    A fanfilm would be a great project. I would love to hear ideas about the plot. I am sure we all have some ideas that are cool.

16. askywalker98

Apr 18, 2003
    We all have been talking about a fanfilm for what seems forever. If we could organize it (a miracle), that would be awsome. as for the date being the 15th, I don't really care, I doubt i will make it (as usual), but I will continue to post my ideas and other random flamitroy comments in these forums ;).

Good Luck!,
    -Anthony

17. askywalker98

Apr 18, 2003
    I have just confirmed (I think) that I will be at the collect-o-con on Sunday. See anyone whos going Sunday there! (Hey tristan, can you get us some god deals at your friends table? wink wink)

I may be there!
    -Anthony

18. Darth_Ehmon

Oct 26, 2003
    I will also be at Collectocon on Sunday. I hope to see you there Anthony.

19. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Sorry, Brandon, I fell off the earth for a couple of weeks. Been busy with work and home so I've not been able to reply on here nor write up or respond to what all we talked about at the last meeting. Here's my penance:

Yup, the October meeting was a gathering of only 3, but it was still lively. Despite a very helpful attempt by Ia to come up with an agenda, while she was there we generally just had fun shooting our mouths off about the movies (never goes out of style), the "celebrity" of the makers of the movies, Expanded Universe books and media, and any tangent that we could pull from the ether.

We also re-confirmed that Ia is now our unofficial City Rep. The "officiality" is of little importance to us and attempts to contact the FanForce reps seem to go unanswered.

After she left we did a bit of constructive brainstorming on ideas of getting some more community in the ranks. Brandon already said it- a larger group would be great, but if we could just maintain a strong core of regulars (more than 3 hopefully) at least this thing will stay alive. Ia has been nice enough to bring party favors and refreshments to some of the previous meetings, and that seems like a great idea to make it a fun atmosphere. Maybe this upcoming meeting can have a tad more organization in that department. Maybe I'll work on that. Maybe discount after-Halloween candy will play a part...

Also, Brandon came up with the very good idea to have a newsletter e-mail, maybe monthly, so that people who can't regularly check the message boards can keep up with our going's on. It'd also make a nice record of the groups movements. We could submit information about ourselves and our general locations (e.g., I live near the Holy Land Experiment- which might draw out other people in a similar area to hook up with the group or me), and any contact information we wanted to share. Brandon and I also are thinking or regular little features to have in a newsletter and it just seems like it might bind our system together a bit.

Activities almost all sound good, except I also don't like movies as an outing. It's dark, it should be quiet, and it's not conducive to communicating. I was the billiards proponent, but I've never played paintball or frisbee golf ans those both sound fun. I'm also for bowling or miniature golf, I try to do either at least once a decade. And heck, I'm even up for snorkeling, scuba-diving and skydiving, but maybe those are outings for well in the future. -Campbell

20. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Those were two things I completely forgot about in my initial post. Thank Yoda that you took notes.

I think each of us bringing something to each meeting is a great idea. Like Campbell said, Ia did try that for the first meeting (well, the first of the "new meetings.") I think one person could bring drinks, another cookies, another napkins, another cups, whatever else, but each of us should bring something or if someone, and I doubt this will happen but there people like this, wants to take it upon him or herself to bring a number of drinks and cups and such, that, too, would be great. I think those days are gone, though. They ended in school back when the one kid that wanted to be popular for one day brought like five huge bottles of Coke instead of just one and all that. Okay, I'm going off on a tangent...

Also, the newsletter is an outstanding idea. We were discussing how each month, or twice a month, however it is going to be handled, each of us could send in two or three links and then all of those will be put into the newsletter for everyone. The links would, of course, have to have *something* to do with Star Wars, but it would not have to be, say, a site dedicated to Star Wars or anything like that.

So then, thankfully Campbell did not drive home and vanish into a black hole. I was getting ready to send out a search party, but now here he is, returned to us.

Brandon

21. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey gang! :)

As your RSA, I'm here to help with any problems you guys might be having.

Having an officially recognized CR is important, as that person is your liason with the FF staff. Has no one had any luck contacting your CR? I can try to contact him for you if you like.

If there is someone acting in the CR capacity at this moment, please have him or her contact me via PM so that we can discuss what's going on. There are several options and as I said above, I'd really like to help y'all out. :)

Also, as far as contacting FF reps about this problem, no one contacted me until today. If you folks are having a problem I can assist you with, please please contact me ASAP. I can't help unless I'm in the informational loop. :)

EDIT: Ia, I just got your PM. Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.