main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Madison, WI Oddcon: how is it?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Neo-Paladin, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Hey,
    I just came to the Madison area back in August. I've lurked around the boards off an on for a couple months, and I was wondering what the word is on Oddcon. I found the website, but I didn't have a real good feel for it, probably because I've never been to a con like Oddcon. So I was wondering:
    Is it worth the entrance fee?
    Are they good times?
    Will the Anime people scare me? ;)
    How is the gaming? Do they typically do Star Wars RPG? I didn't see it listed on the list Pegasus Games had up (though they had SW miniatures).

Any response is appreciated. Thanks!

2. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    Never been to OddCon before, so I really can't comment on it too well. I know that this year they are combining with FilmCon, and FilmCon is usually pretty interesting. I'd recommend it just for the heck of it, plus you'll probably run into a number of people from the various Fan Forces in the area.

3. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I havent been to oddcon either but I have been to filmcon as well and I can vouch for that. It should be fun either way I think odd con is centered toward more sci fi, and fantasy books. Anyway like Toxic said its a good place to meet a lot of the fan force people of neighboring states and cities.

Forcebewitya!

4. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    Since Oddcon and FilmCon are doing the convention together, I'd say its well worth the admission fee.

Oddcon is mostly book related, so I don't know if they have much for gaming stuff. They might since most RPGs have books pertaining to them.

FilmCon is, as it suggests, is film related. Anything that is involved with film making is featured. Special effects, script writing, props, etc. The panels are usually very informative and fun. The guest speakers are always good. Oh and there's a costume contest that you can't miss. Not to mention the auction that is held in the evening.

So yeah, it's going to be worth it.

5. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    Rick, have you heard if they are doing a costume contest at 4.5?

I've never been to Oddcon or Filmcon but have heard good things about both. For me, one of the most fun things about conventions is just meeting people with the same interests. Let's face it, there aren't always a lot of us around :)

6. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    It seems that we are around, we just stay incognito... o_O

And thanks for the responses everyone, it sounds promising. Any other teasers to look forward to would not go unappreciated. :)

7. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    So far, it's not entirely clear what exactly Eric has planned for FilmCon 4.5 but last I heard, he was considering a costume contest due to the last Filmcon's tremendous turnout for that contest.

I do know that he is lining up Miles Teves for a guest speaker. Check out the Milwaukee forums for more details on that. Sounds exciting to me.

And yeah, there are quite a few of "us" out there and we rarely see each other, unless a convention pops up. Seems unfortunate to me. We can have such great times otherwise.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see all of you there, if not sooner.

Neo-Paladin, you should get together with us, when we meet up. The most common place we meet is the food court at the East Towne mall. Keep looking for the next time we meet. It's ALWAYS good to see new faces who can add to our conversations.

And Sara, you guys need to show up again too. It was great when you both showed up before. And you don't have to wear your costume to show up, though I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind if you did. ;)

8. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    While the reactions of people at the food court might be interesting, I think I'll hold off until convention time :) Besides the fact that leather pants really aren't that comfortable.

We'll try to make it down again sometime soon. I'll keep my eye out for when you guys plan something again.

9. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    Leather pants not comfortable....

*makes note of that*

10. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Let's just say I wouldn't recommend them for actual lightsaber fighting. You might end up hurting yourself.

11. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    [face_laugh]

Are there any plans in the works for a meeting at any point in the future?

12. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    you mean a Madison FF meeting? we did just have one. I'm sure we will have one next month. You can make a thread if you want. I'm pretty much up for anything as long as I'm free that day.

Forcebewitya!

13. ROGUE_NINER

ROGUE_NINER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2002
    Rick has already started one

14. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Oddcon is three weeeks away so I wanted to see who is going on Saturday. Shawn and I are registered and would love to meet up with some of you who are attending.

15. ROGUE_NINER

ROGUE_NINER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2002
    I'm not signed up but would be happy to meet if I'm free, I know a couple others will be going

16. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    I'm going both Saturday and Sunday.
    I heard Sunday was going to be the better day, but I can't be completely sure, since I haven't heard much from Eric lately.

17. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Well I was planning on going Saturday, but like you said Sunday is supposed to be the best day, so I dont know what to do. Eric is coming to town this weekend as we learned at the meeting and my manager said that he'll probably stop in saturday at my work. So I'm going to talk to him then and find out what to do and maybe even register. I might be paying for both my girlfriends registration and mine so I want to be sure I have everything worked out.

Forcebewitya!

18. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    It's NEXT WEEKEND !!!

YAY !!!!

See some of you there!

19. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    If you're going Saturday I'll see you there Rick. The first we're planning on doing is Eric's E3 presentation. Does anyone want to meet somewhere before that, or save seats at the E3 presentation?

20. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, I believe that I am going. I'm not to sure though which days and what I'll be doing. I talked to Eric last night so I got as many spoilers as I needed. Including a HUGE plot twist...anyway so I think I'm good for the EIII thing. But I'll be happy to meet up with you all, maybe watch some fan films or something. Keep in touch.

Forcebewitya!

21. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    Just checked out the panels Eric has lined up and I'll be there Friday night (around 4pm) as well.

Seems like I'll be spending most of my time at the Radisson this weekend.

22. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    CaptMareel of the Milwookiee board had told me about a costume masquerade on Saturday. I never heard back from Eric on this. Is that still on?

23. Rick_Sith

May 2, 2002
    The schedule makes no mention of any costume related activities.

Perhaps he was referring to a room party of some sort Saturday night. I have no idea.

24. Forcebewitya

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, I was just on the Oddcon panels and it looks like they're sponsering it, it also says something about the auction, but the auction doesn't seem to be on Filmcons programming. I dont know how much money Eric will get with CIII coming up shortly after. Anyway I dont know I might be there Friday night, if not I will be sure to be there on Saturday.

Forcebewitya!

25. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I'll be the dork and dress up regardless. The plan is to attend the E3 presentation first thing, then the movie trailer presentation after lunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.