main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off-topic: Battle of the Champions!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

Here at the interdimensional arena, the competitors are squaring off! Sixteen of the mightiest heroes in fantasy and science fiction will do battle here, and only one will emerge victorious.

We?ve made it clear to each competitor that if they don?t fight, we?ll wipe out their home plane of existence, but even if they do die, we?ll just resurrect them and send them home with a consolation prize. Let me tell you, they?re all ready and willing to fight to the end!

The first round match-ups are:
    Luke Skywalker (Star by Star)
    Jon Snow (A Storm of Swords)

Caine (Heroes Die)
    Drizzt Do'Urden (Sea of Swords)

Raistlin Majere (Test of the Twins)
    Lúthien Tinuviel (The Silmarillion)

Rand al?Thor (Winters Heart)
    Darth Vader (The Empire Strikes Back)

Pwyll Twiceborn (The Darkest Road)
    Lord Valentine (Lord Valentines Castle)

Gandalf the White (Return of the King)
    Mat Cauthon (Winters Heart)

Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek: First Contact)
    Neo (The Matrix)

Harry Potter (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
    Ender Wiggin (Ender?s Game)

Everyone is as they were at their best! The first round is about to begin, place your votes for who shall win!

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999

Luke, easy. Maybe if you matched him up with Rand, we'd get some different results.

Caine (Heroes Die)

A badass vs an outcast. Hard call, but it stuck me that Drizzt won so often through a mix of coincidence and incompetent writing. I'll call this one a draw, with a personal tilt towards Caine.

Don't know

As much as I hate to say it, Rand would kick Vader's butt, in like two seconds flat. Hell, even Nyneave would probably destroy Vader.

Don't know

Gandalf's a pretty powerful guy, but Mat's got luck on his side. I think Gandalf would probably win, because he wouldn't let Mat get close to him.

Neo (The Matrix)

Well, Neo's kind of a wimp in reality, it's only that his mind works fast. Picard would crush him.

Ender would kick the crap out of him.

3. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    1.) Luke Skywalker (Star by Star)

Never heard of this guy so I'll go with Mastadge and say Luke.

2.) Caine (Heroes Die)

Who?

3.) Raistlin Majere (Test of the Twins)

Who?

4.) Rand al?Thor (Winters Heart)

Don't know this guy either?

5.) Pwyll Twiceborn (The Darkest Road)

Nor do I know them.

6.) Gandalf the White (Return of the King)

You guessed it. Sorry.

7.) Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek: First Contact)
    Neo (The Matrix)

Hmmmmmmm

8.) Harry Potter (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

Ender. Ender was a damn genius along the lines of Thrawn. Even smarter and arguably with more resources if Jane will still talk to him despite spending more time with Miro now. I've only read the original "Ender's Game" and "The Xenocide" but they were both great and Ender is pure genius.

4. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    The Wheel of Time chars are different from force users.

I am inclined to believe, however, that a stormie with a repeating fire blasterrifle would have any one of them.

They just wouldn't be expecting it.

Rand al'Thor- *Begins to summon balefire.*

Vader with blaster- BEEYOW

al'Thor- *Keels over dead.*

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Sorry, terra, but Rand doesn't begin to summon Balefire:

Rand SUMMONS balefire, and he's so strong that frickin' Luke ceases to exist.

6. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    I still reckon they'd be able to get of a few shots before it hit them. Or they could duck...

Alternatiley, he could blow the crap out of him from the Executor. :D

Here's another one-

Death Star(A New Hope)
    v.s
    Unicron(Tranformers: The Movie)

Unicron...ah, nostalgia.

7. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Brief character sketches:

Luke Skywalker: Arguably, the galaxies greatest Jedi Master ever. Able to move Black Holes with the Force, invade the minds of others, and pull all sorts of other tricks.

Jon Snow: A Bastard. Sort of. He?s very skilled with a sword, very quick on his mental feet, and a pretty good leader. A direwolf named Ghost tags along after him wherever he goes.

Caine is an actor. He?s also the best assassin in two worlds. And he?s a favorite of a certain Goddess.

Drizzt is a Drow, a race of Dark Elves. He?s one of the best swordsmen of his world, and he can summon up a magical panther to fight at his side.

Raistlin Majere is a mortal mage who was powerful enough that he could have become a God, could have destroyed all the other gods.

Lúthien Tinuviel was the most beautiful of all living beings. She could also humble Sauron (the villain of the Lord of the Rings) and was able to knock out Morgoth, the source of evil, who makes Sauron look like a wimp. She?s the only person ever to have been able to defeat Morgoth on his or her own.

Rand al?Thor is the Dragon Reborn. Among his powers is the ability to generate shields that can stop anything short of balefire, and to generate balefire. To use his powers, he just has to think about it, even more so than using the Force. Balefire wipes things out of existence like they never were, and is the ultimate weapon in the Wheel of Time.

Darth Vader is an old man in an iron mask.

Pwyll Twiceborn is the Avatar of the god Mornir. He generally takes the non-violent way out of things, but he is virtually invincible, and is perfectly willing to summon up other Gods to do his fighting for him.

Lord Valentine is another pacifist, though like Pwyll he?s willing to use violence when peaceful means don?t work. He has the ability to project waking dreams into people that he can use to bring them over to his side.

Gandalf the White is a Maia. He?s not quite so strong as Lúthien, but a bit wiser.

Mat Cauthon is a gambler, womanizer, and general (when he has to be). His luck is his greatest asset. He can draw a royal flush or roll snake eyes every time. It works for other things as well.

Jean Luc Picard is a diplomat. He?s also a good shot with a phaser, and a brilliant tactician.

Neo is a computer geek. While inside a computer, he is God. Outside, he?s a normal guy who knows a lot about computers.

Harry Potter is a wizard. He can fly around on a broomstick. Yippee.

Ender is a tactical genius. A bit naïve though.

8. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    I don't know who that other Raistlin Majere person is, but I'd have to vote for Luthien anyway! She absolutely rocks!

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Got a new one:

Matilda vs. Neo

Neo's mind works really fast, so he's godly in a computer. But Matilda's mind is so much better she can affect stuff without being inside a computer.

10. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    What about Kimball Kinnison, a second-stage Lensman from the Lensman series by E.E. "Doc" Smith (not the hideous anime movie, but the original books from the 30s-60s)? He'd at least make a good showing.

(And yes, I did take his name as my pseudonym.)

Or how about Sparhawk, from the Elenium and the Tamuli by David Eddings? Between the two of them, I'd have to say Kinnison would win hands down. (He's the fastest draw with twin DeLameters in two galaxies!)

11. LSARams75

LSARams75 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2001
    final match luke VS vader because they will kill every body else.

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Rand would beat them all.

13. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Yeah, but can Rand deal with having three women drooling over him? He's handling it well so far, and the girls don't seem to mind so much, but how long can the peace last?

14. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Jean Luc Picard all the way. He will use his cool phrases to confuse the enemy, and in the end will prevail.

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, but can Rand deal with having three women drooling over him? He's handling it well so far, and the girls don't seem to mind so much, but how long can the peace last?

Hey, I certainly couldn't handle having a bunch of beautiful women standing over me while I was in a tub, and making cracks about me. He's made of sterner stuff than I!

With regard to picard:

They invade our space; we fall back
    The destroy entire worlds; we fall back
    The line must be drawn here!
    This far, no farther.

16. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Life is good for Rand. He's got Elayne, Aviendha and Min to keep him warm at night (what are the odds all three have a headache on the same night?), he's got Aes Sedai swearing oaths to serve him, the power is clean, the Asha'man can take on any military force in the world and turn them into hamburger, he's got the super sa'angreal, and he rules a good quarter of the known world. Yup, life is good.

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Yeah, there's only that bit about spilling his blood at Shayol Ghul at Tarmon Gaidan. Bummer.

18. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Well, there's always that. But I think that that prophecy refers to the Aiel, not his actual blood. In which case he'll do just fine :)

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I just want Perrin to stop introspecting, get his army of wolves together, and kick butt. And Arya has to find Nymeria, too.

20. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Wow, this looks like fun =)
    Luke Skywalker
    Caine (Heroes Die)
    Drizzt Do'Urden
    Toughie. I'd go with Raistlin, although I haven't read Silmarillion.
    Darth Vader. We're on the SW Lit boards, right?
    I am going strictly on your character sketches here. I'll take Pwyll Twiceborn by your "virtually invincible" assessment.
    Have not heard of Mat Cauthon, but I would take Gandolf in most situations anyway ;).
    Neo (The Matrix)
    Neo.
    Harry Potter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.