main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Off-Topic : Do you read Mangas ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PrinceXizor, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Lucky!

Americans BUTCHER the poor anime....

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh, anime are butchered in French.

But it seems Mangas aren't... :D

3. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Agreed, Tahiri, Americans don't have the best track record when it comes to dubbed anime. For me, it's definitely subtitled all the way when it comes to anime here in the USA, though I'll admit to having been surprised on occasion by a good English dub. Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Wing are a couple of good examples. Card Captor Sakura, on the other hand, was not only hacked to pieces by the editors here, but suffered the worst case of horribly dubbed voices, music, and dialogue I've ever seen. [face_plain]

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Agreed, Tahiri, Americans don't have the best track record when it comes to dubbed anime. For me, it's definitely subtitled all the way when it comes to anime here in the USA,

Big agree! I remember watching the Streamline dub of Nadia, sitting there with the original scripts reading along to see how they mutilated not so much the story, but the little nuacnes. And in Escaflowne where Van says "A samurai's first duty is to his people." That's wrong on two counts, first he was a Prince, not a Samurai, and second, a Samurai's first duty is to his lord. Harmoney Gold's severe alteration of the original Macross story, plus it incorporated Southern Cross and Genensis Climber Mospeada into the Macross story whereas in the original Japanese stories had nothing to do with each other, besides being made by the same studio. The first sequel to Macross was a series called Orguss, which is also quite a lot of fun.

though I'll admit to having been surprised on occasion by a good English dub.

Macross Plus, Keishin Corps, and Wings of Honeamasse spring to mind as really high quality dubs.

Cowboy Bebop and Gundam Wing are a couple of good examples.

I just can't get into those, don't know why.

Card Captor Sakura, on the other hand, was not only hacked to pieces by the editors here, but suffered the worst case of horribly dubbed voices, music, and dialogue I've ever seen.

It was still kinda fun, but there were things that they took out of the English dubs that I missed. In the first episode when Sakura is putting on her roller blading gear was removed, and that was a cute scene, I think.

5. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Serial Experiments Lain was one of the best dubbings i've ever seen...however...i've never seen a movie/series that wasn't better subbed that dubbed...and the vast majority of all work out there is FAR FAR FAR better subbed than dubbed as opposed to being about equal.........even in the subtle voice pitches and intonation patterns a dubbed voice can change the attitude of a character completly through a single word...when i watched Cowboy Bebop(MUST SEE ANIME!!!) i saw it subbed...but an AMV (fan made Anime Music Video) used the dubbed version for a single word...Spike's utterance of "Bang" (either at the end of ep6 or ep26...its in both)...and the difference was immence...the origninal sound fit more with the character's attidues...whereas the english had an arrogant twang to it that made the character sound condesending or just like a standard action hero...which spike is not......maybe i'm over analyzing...maybe not......all i know is that i hate all that america does with anime...anything largely appriciated (outside of just anime communities) seems to be trash inherantly (pok****...the name is vile to me)or made trash by ammerican censoring editing and altered dubbings that change the words spoken and indeed the entire message a character may speak simply to make it "acceptable" for the american audience......that and disney's blocking of wide releases of studio Chibli movies...Mononoke rocked!!!...Let us to see more of Master Miyazaki and less of evil eisner!!!

Oh jeez...sorry about incoherant rants...i seem to be stuck in a world without grammar or puncuation recently......then again...e e cummings made due without punctuation...why should i need it???

6. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Sorry Balance_Point, Gundam Wing a good English dub?????

You have to be joking, I watched GWing fansub and it was so much better than the dubbed version of Endless Waltz. The voices sounded so much more authentic?

By the way, come to my Anime Poll on SW Miscellaneous

7. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    jastermereel I agree that even if there are some very close dubbed versions the subtitle version is always the best, but I think that the main reason for the good dubbings are the fact that the actors dubbing are probably anime fans as well so they know what they couls do if they do their job poorly and above all they care, so that is a good thing.

Some of the best dubbing I ever seen are Lain, Macross plus, and Blue Submarine 6, even though it was much better the subtitle version.

And by the way does anyone knows why the dubbed version is always cheaper?? :confused:

8. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    ::shrug:: I've got the Endless Waltz bilingual DVD and have seen it in both English and Japanese, and I have to say I actually like the English version better. It's probably only because that's the version I got used to first, though.

I'll check out that poll when I get a chance. :)

9. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    My only guess as to why dubings are cheaper is that they aren't as good...one would think that with the cost of the extra voice actors it would be more expensive but...there seems to be a general dislike of them...and an appriaction of good subbing so...simply put distributers can sell subs for more because fans will pay it to see the better un-soiled version......

10. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I think subtitled versions are more expensive because they produce less of them made.

11. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Nice .. interesting . a very fresh change... Yes, I read 'em .. and watch Anime too.

Ronouni Kenshin is fun (the manga) the Anime a bit more violent though.
    Ghost in the shell .. ahhh what can I say .. "the net is far and wide."
    Akira is really great but really gruesome.
    Cowboy Bebop is good, real - though I was wondering if the Sith infiltrator wasn't inspired Spikes' personal ship???

My personal favorite (Anime) remains the Neon genesis Evangelion - series - religion, psychology, Kabbale, retribution, angst, love, hate, "Yibitsu beer" ..kkkuuuu ! life is worth living just for that - they did a fantastic job with that series .. too bad nobody understood the last episodes !

If you like grim Animes .. i recommend "jin-roh" it's really good .. but i must warn you it's done in the traditional style .. don't wait for some "ghost in the shell" FXs.

And if you wanna feel forever young try Hayao Miyazaki animes.... except "the grave of fireflies" unless you really wanna cry your heart out.
    but "tonari no Totoro" my friendly neighbor totoro is real cute,
    as is "Porco rosso" - and for all you french friendlies - the french version is dubbed by the one and only Jean Reno (AKA Leon)

I guess i like japanese stuff too .. though I didn't read the Star wars Mangas .. not really ready for that leap.

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Ghost in the shell .. ahhh what can I say .. "the net is far and wide."

In this case, I much preferred the manga.

Akira is really great but really gruesome.

Yes, but it's so beautifully done.

My personal favorite (Anime) remains the Neon genesis Evangelion - series - religion, psychology, Kabbale, retribution, angst, love, hate, "Yibitsu beer" ..kkkuuuu ! life is worth living just for that - they did a fantastic job with that series .. too bad nobody understood the last episodes !

I actually get tired of angst pretty fast. (got that from reading X-Men), and by the 10th episode, all I wanted to do was drop kick Shinji through a few plate glass windows.

If you like grim Animes .. i recommend "jin-roh" it's really good .. but i must warn you it's done in the traditional style .

Bare Foot Gen.

And if you wanna feel forever young try Hayao Miyazaki animes.... except "the grave of fireflies" unless you really wanna cry your heart out.

Monoke Hime?

but "tonari no Totoro" my friendly neighbor totoro is real cute,
    as is "Porco rosso" - and for all you french friendlies - the french version is dubbed by the one and only Jean Reno (AKA Leon)

The man has never produced anything I didn't like, with the exception of Fireflies and "If You Listen Closely (Softly), which I haven't seen, I have loved everything he has done.

I guess i like japanese stuff too .. though I didn't read the Star wars Mangas .. not really ready for that leap.

13. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    G-A-T : Akira is really great but really gruesome.

K-N : Yes, but it's so beautifully done.

I agree .. it is esthetic.

K-N : I actually get tired of angst pretty fast. (got that from reading X-Men), and by the 10th episode, all I wanted to do was drop kick Shinji through a few plate glass windows.

yeah .. he does piss you off with his lack of .. well EVERYTHING !

Regarding : Mononoke Hime - it's not really sad .. i mean it's just beautiful .. ok I admit there was something in my eyes .. probably dust .. which caused them to water at the end of the movie . but it's not sad.

I haven't heard of "If you listen ... " either but now that you spoke of it I think i'm gonna have to place a few phone calls and make sure I find it.

In a different genre of Anime : do you know "Ninja scroll" - it's one of the first one i saw so I really like it.

same goes for the manga " RG-Veda" by Clamp studios. I really love the H.R.Giger-look the swords and the background has. and besides the story ain't too bad

14. Master-Anakin-Solo

Master-Anakin-Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2002
    yeah, Akira is really guesome, and in my opinion is very well done, and it is a classic.

In regards with Ninja scroll I loved it, I think its really bloody, but what I love the most was the drama between the main characters (male and female ninjas), which by some strange reason i don't remeber their names 8-}

And I also loved Oh my godess!, wich I think is really cute [face_blush]

But I think that one of the greates tramas in anime is presented in Vampire Princess Miyu, and perfect Blue wich is a great triller.

But finally one of my favorites is Bublegum Crisis in its original version because with the old styling of drawing it appears a litle bit dirty wich in my opinion adds to the story, and this is the main issue with Bublegum crisis 2040

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.