main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So, got Secret Wars 6, Dr Strange 1, Amazing Spidey 1, Iron Man. I shalt read them at bed time. Will they feel like...like...it should be? THE Marvel? We shall see.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That story was 20 years ago. When you start saying things were better 20 years ago when you know you're old. I know this because I been saying things like that for the past ten years or more.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Long time MK fan here. I give every arc a try and am grateful Axel Alonso is enough of a fan to keep trying too.

I used to want a Moon Knight film or series badly, but in rereading the original run and Huston's 13 issues, it is clearly apparent Marc Spector's world is rated a very hard R. If Netflix could make that work, sure, but I'd be surprised if Marvel Studios greenlit another R rated super hero film. Like the comics, I'd give it a look (hell, I even know who I'd cast as Marc - Anson Mount.)

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    DarthMane2 likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    New Iron Man #1 is very much the film version of Stark. Doctor Strange is not a kid but is obviously a young version of the character. Both are good and I shall keep up with them.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't know how long ago Captain America #1 was written but the Serpents and their desire for a Great Wall across the border while Cap protects the illegal immigrants was great.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Uncanny Avengers. Uh, not so good.

Low #10; that 10 straight awesome issues. Buuuuut have to wait until January for the next one.

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Secret Wars #6, gotta love the pairing of Namor and T'Challa and their interactions with each other. Kinda of gross that Miles had a cheeseburger in his pocket for a few months. Interesting that it didn't create a bulge in his costume either. I knew there was some thing to the SHIELD wall but I didn't think it would be so grim. Thanos is literally chilln' like a villain. Doom is scared.

The latest issue to the Darkseid War was pretty awesome. It was fun watching Batman clown on Green Lantern again.

The last issue of Secret Wars_Civil War satisfying to me, considering the turn it made earlier.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The art was just...bad. Like everybody's arms and legs were made out of wet noodles. WTF?

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Guardians of the Galaxy 31 took a subtle pot shot at TPM with it's trade negotiations and taxation of trade routes being a boring endevour.

So I have been getting the main Secret Wars issues and now the #1's of this new universe. I suppose not getting everything else is making things a tad confusing as this reboot is in full swing but the main Secret Wars story line not done yet.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone pick up Secret Wars: Siege, it extrapolates on The Wall and the finale of issue #6 (and has more Thanos!). I get the feeling Thanos rallying the ghouls beyond the wall to his cause may have been covered in some other tie-in as well. But Siege is just some solid comic-booking, ultimately tragic but very involving.

14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Okay, I know nothing at all about comic books. I mean, I've read "Watchmen." And bits of "Maus." And that's it. But I really like Neil Gaiman, so a while ago I decided to give "Sandman" a try. Now I am sooooooo in love!! I have somehow acquired a terrible crush on Dream. Why? Possibly just because he looks so much like the proto-goth boys I loved in high school. Or maybe it's because there's a certain loneliness and vulnerability about him, despite his tremendous power. He's somehow an outsider, and outsiders understand people better. And I like the star-eyes. Those are cool.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to borrow the annotated version of "Sandman" issues #1-20 from my local library. I don't know that I would have gotten far without the notes--much of the backstory and some of the plotlines are pretty impenetrable if you know nothing about the world of DC comics. This is really why I was never able to get into any of even the better serialized comics--they all seem to assume you know so much about the world they're in, and I didn't. My only complaint is that the "Annotated Sandman" is in black and white only.

So far, I think my favorite issue is the one with Dream's sister, Death. What a wonderful character! Having an apparently wildly uncreative mind, I'd assumed that Death would be male, and somehow even bigger and scarier than Dream. So nice to be proven wrong. Just at the moment, I'm in the middle of the serial killer convention issue, which I'm enjoying despite the fair amount of body horror scattered around in it. I'm not really a body-horror person, but right now I'll forgive Gaiman anything.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I come to the end of issue #20. Expire, possibly.

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Sandman is collectively my favorite work of English-language literature. Stick with it until the end, it's 100% worth it. The two Death miniseries ("The Hight Cost of Living" and "The Time of Your Life), and the subsequent Sandman material Gaiman wrote ("The Dream Hunters," "Endless Nights," and the recently concluded "Overture") are all fantastic as well and definitely worth checking out.

I'm excited for you.

Jedi Ben and soitscometothis like this.
  16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    A good story with Death would also need to include Action Comics #894.

[​IMG]

Lex Luthor meets Death.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

Is this why Anthony Mackie has apparently said he's supporting Trump?

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I avoided picking up Captain America: Sam Wilson #1 due to lack of interest, but that just changed.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

Look at that last line! It's... it's so beautiful.

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    This is how the creator credits went down on the recent Robot Chicken DC Comics special:

[​IMG]

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    At first, I couldn't put a finger on what you guys were talking about.

Bravo! Nice to see credit that's been long over due.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, just read these words.

Esad Ribic.

Metabarons.

No joke either!

http://www.newsarama.com/26466-secret-wars-artist-s-next-project-revealed.html

[​IMG]

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Karnak #1 was outstanding. And quite frankly I am so glad they gave him a normal sized head.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sob... the last Grandville book:

[​IMG]