main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Action Comics 999 is a family reunion. Lois Lane talks with her father years after she revealed his illegal black ops. It comes down to them debating about who answers to who and focuses on Superman. Unfortunately both of them have writer's amnesia as he asks who does Superman answer to and who keeps him in check. neither of them bothers to mention the hundreds of other superheroes that populate the Earth.

2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh, I have no doubt it is. I wish that they'd let both use the name a la Hawkeye, but it is what it is. I just hope the series is good and doesn't revert Laura back to her days of struggling with reclaiming her humanity and overcoming her programming to be a weapon by just ignoring the development she's had since. I mean, scars like that will never fully heal and I can see the value in having it still affect her. I guess I'd vote to have it handled a but like how Jessica Cruz's clinical anxieties are handled in Green Lanterns; they may deal with it for the rest of their lives, but it's not the only thing about them.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Considering that in the past Clark kicked everyone's ass in "Sacrifice" and if "Secret Origin" still counts, then no one can actually stop him, if he doesn't hold back.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know of any storylines in the comics where Danny Rand-K'ai interact with the tibetan-american Community in U.S.A.?

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I don’t post here much but lately I find myself drawn away from the big two. Marvel I read Star Wars in trade. And DC I liked reading Titans. But I’ve really liked the Image books. And I read the first trade of Black Hammer for Dark Horse

6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough. What comics I do read it's for the characters. Personally, I'm reading more Marvel stuff than anything else.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One of the great things of the last few years has been the great expansion in companies and genre material.

You can still enjoy a Marvel or DC book, but you don't have to - due to the sheer array of options.

Dagobahsystem, Master_Lok and DAR like this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'm still a Marvel girl despite my complaints over some very stupid choices in story and characterization the past few years. Price points and disinterest keeps me away from most other things beyond the occasional Brubaker Image or a Dan Brereton title. That said, I do like that there is something for everyone and it's one of my favorite creative mediums.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Dagobahsystem and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Wow. So I found out that another comic book convention will be coming to my home state. It's further out from where I live and I won't be able to make it, but it's still a good thing that there's two.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Cable 155, I didn't care for the new start, but this cover is cool as hell it it starts a new storyline.
    Iron Man Hong Kong Heroes #1
    Doctor Strange Damnation 1 and 3. Somehow I missed this and #2 is sold out and not available to order.
    Avengers No Surrender part 11 Issue 685
    X-Men Gold 24
    Thanos 17 Silver Surfer wielding Mjolnir!
    Iron Fist 78
    Deadman 5, along with Zatanna, Spectre, Etrigan
    Batman 43
    The Brave and the Bold 2 Batman and WW
    And last but not least what is supposed to be the last part of The Death of the Mighty Thor #705. I am both scared and excited for this one.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    My stack of Amazing Spider-Man is about 4 issues long by now and my Old Man Logan is at a 6, gotta plow through those to catch up.

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @VadersLaMent -try eBay for DS: Damnation 2

and if you haven’t purchased Old Man Hawkeye yet, Amazon has the digital issues on sale for $1.99 a piece.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have Old Man Hawkeye. Feels like it's been awhile since the last and I was just thinking it feels like it's been longer than a month for Watchmen.

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I know you have it; that was a general response. [face_blush] My posts are a little wonky due to Darth Real Life. 6 weeks between OMH 2 and 3. Issue 3 is next week. After that,
    digital will have to do. If every Marvel was $1.99 normally that would be different.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Doomsday Clock got moved to bi-monthy, I'm trade waiting that one anyway. Can't wait to read it in late 2019!

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I admire people who can trade wait.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Can I get some advice for people in this thread?

I've always been extremely wary of the Hulk, because it rubs me as a bad take on the Jekyll/Hyde concept, and then often a tremendous cheat on even that idea. But for someone whose only background is the Ang Lee film and Avengers Number One, what would you think of Planet Hulk as an entry point?

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Planet Hulk is excellent, but as a starting point, I am not sure. Perhaps someone else more vested in the character can give a solid yay or nay on that.
    World War Hulk and Planet Hulk were the last two Hulk storylines I read.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I made the same recommendation in this very thread, pick of Peter David's penned "Hulk: The End". It has two stories Hulk Future Imperfect and Hulk: The End in one package, both are great. Bit of a hitch with there's smart talking Banner Hulk in Future Imperfect but it's easy to figure out as they're done in one stories. In depth look at the character's psyche and the Banner/Hulk split. Also, future and robots and lazers!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So the Old Man Hawkeye 3 preview is ridiculously gory
    and now makes the Lee Van Cleef-like Bulleye even more like Angel Eyes (as literal as a Marvel all seeing eye can be) as he surgically extracts ...
    I love what this team is doing as far as eyes, seeing, and not seeing in this series (that's the giallo movie fan in me).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Hulk is more than just Jekyll and Hyde. Another inspiration that Lee and Kirby had was "Frankenstein" with the Hulk being like the Monster and just wanting to be left alone, while Victor is like Banner, in becoming obsessed with destroying the Monster and feeling despair at being cursed with this beast.

In terms of wanting a good entry point, it depends on what you want. Do you want the pathos of the Hulk with some humor, or do you want the angry monster who takes revenge on those that he hates? The latter is what you will find with "Planet Hulk" and "World War Hulk". To me, a good starting place would be the prose novel, "What Savage Beast". It was written by Peter David, who was a writer on the comic for close to twenty years. Though with some breaks here and there. The novel, which was based on the original story for "Ghosts Of The Future", gives the reader a look at the Hulk right up to 1995. It recounts all the major plot points, while telling a new story.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    What Savage Beast is solid novel and also a sequel to Future Imperfect comic.

It all comes back to Future Imperfect, dangit!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Darth_Invidious and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Who is the super dude who looks just like Superman but has a red suit, yellow S, and black cape? He just turned up in Batman 43 as one of Ivy's world wide thralls.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Read Thor 705.

DAMMIT TO HELL! Ok so it's awesome. But dammit! It's awesome. That's how you do a noble sacrifice. Or shall I say sacrifices. The conclusion is apparently in 706, whatever form that takes. Perhaps it's not over for Jane Foster?

I'll say it again, this has been the best title since the reboot. One of the best of all time as well.

I bought this cover:
    [​IMG]

The author is going to remain and write Thor but the artist is going elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.