main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    @Jedi Ben - I was happy to see that too.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, perhaps this is next Marvel comic I try. The Punisher relaunch coming in August. Haven't read much with Frank since Rucka and Chechetto (it depends on the creative team and the direction for me). Vishanti willing, all will be back to status quo here long before then.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Action Comics #1000, two covers. Cool huh? Issue #1 was way back in 1938.
    Tales of Suspense 104/Hawkeye and the Winter Soldier Red Ledger part 5. So, there appears to be some kind of clone/mind upload for bringing Natasha back to life. However, they did say memories and it read like it might not really be her?
    Batman 45
    The Brave and the Bold 3
    Avengers 689
    X-men Gold 26, "Til Death do us part", a wedding issue.
    Iron Fist 80, literally fighting for his soul in the Damnation tie-in.
    Deadman 6
    Daredevil 601
    Free Marvel preview.

4. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Those Gold issues never not make me angry.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Nick Spencer is taking over Amazing Spider-Man after Slott

https://news.marvel.com/comics/87802/nick-spencer-amazing-spider-man/

Isn't Spencer the one who made HydraCap? Ah well, I won't hold that against him, I heard Cap was actually pretty great before Secret Empire. Besides, we've already had Doc Ock Spidey so can't see Spencer doing that again.

6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Uh, what? A potential clone?!? :confused:o_O:confused: CBR forum folks mentioned something about clones of Yelena -the replacement Black Widow; that makes sense given Yelena’s reaction to Bucky in one of the earlier issues. I wouldn’t put that past the Red Room.

Just realized that the writer of Tales of Suspense is also writing Frank Castle. All I can hope for is better characterization than what I read of TOS. I know the art will be great though, so at least there is that.

For me, Spencer should have shown the door along with Axel, so hopefully he will avoid doing something that bad with Peter.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  7. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I don't actually mind Spencer. Superior Foes and Ant-Man were both fun, and while I didn't read Secret Empire, it's not like Cap hasn't been brainwashed into being a Nazi before. And between Injustice, Parallax, Dominus, Jean Grey, Locutus of Borg, etc etc it's not like the story is unprecedented.

What I am angry about is how apparently the X-writers have forgotten that the most famous Jewish comic book character, who has defeated Dracula with faith in Judaism even, is Jewish.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So, it was supposed to be a blank slate, and there were already others. But the real Black Widow was reborn. The ending is well done.

Having now read Action Comics 1000 I may decide to keep getting them. Once again they are going to tweak the destruction of Krypton it appears. This did remind me of why i do not like the way Superman is handled. He doesn't really have super strength. He has iconic strength. There is no set limit, if an author needs Superman to throw a spaceship casually through a wormhole he just does it.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To be fair, Krypton's destruction was already tweaked with the revelation that Jon Osterman took Jor-El away from Krypton and placed him on Earth. This might be another byproduct of the good doctor's tampering. As to super strength, he has had limits. But given that Clark was fused with his younger counterpart, who could bench press the weight of the Earth, I'd say that he definitely has an upper limit to what he's had going back to "Secret Origin".

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Vid interview with John Byrne

I thought his remake at the time was ok. I was always mixed on Byrne. His contributions are legendary, but not always good. The Galactus goes to Apokolips was worthless.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Blank slates are good.

I did see the "letters" she wrote
    Clintasha will never be a thing again I suppose.
    But since it looks like the new Captain America team will be using the Brubaker regular cast as support, I can understand why the writer chose the letter revelations he did.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Wait, when did Magneto fight Dracula? Or are talking about the Thing? :p

I guess that you are talking about Kitty (what codename is she using now?), what have they done now to her?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "Man Of Steel" wasn't too bad and did open up a lot of the foundation for what exists today. But he was wrong in trying to get too far away from certain iconic aspects of the lore. That's why we've had to shift through "Back To Krypton", "Birthright", "Secret Origin" and "Superman & The Men Of Steel" in order to reintroduce those elements. Especially since they've worked in other media.

14. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    John Byrne killed the Legion of Super-Heroes.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, he didn't. Things were a bit difficult, but not impossible. The books have continued to do well and it was Geoff Johns who restored Superboy proper, while allowing the post "Zero Hour" reboot and the Waid/Shooter Threeboot to exist.

16. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    It was Byrne who insisted on cutting Superboy out, leading to the Pocket Universe thing. It was Byrne who, unsatisfied, with the Pocket Universe stuff, had them do the ****** Valor retconning in the 5YL stuff, and it was Byrne who blew up the Moon in 5YL, leading to the end of the most interesting 5YL stuff. Giffen and the Bierbaums were clear that Byrne's office demanded that they not even mention Superman, and it was ripping that core out of the Legion that led to its decline, as the Reboots were never as popular as the original.

The less said about the Deboot, the better.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Byrne had already left DC when the Legion's origin was changed. Byrne had left in the spring of 1988 and the Legion origin was changed in 1991. Mike Carlin was the editor in charge of Superman and he was probably the one who insisted on removing Superboy from the origin. Though, he was kinda correct because the Legion origin was in need of a reboot anyway, since everyone else at DC was having their origins changed. Wally West's origin was also being updated in 1991, so it was kinda necessary. Byrne was still using the Pocket Universe right up to his departure. Carlin was the one who wanted to take it further by not only dropping the Superboy references, but getting rid of Supergirl/Matrix as well. That was an argument that he was ultimately destined to lose. The reason the reboot wasn't popular was largely due to the way the series was going. Not that it was Mon-El who was the inspiration. Waid's reboot was better received. The problem was doing constant reboots, not the quality of stories.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Nice article @VadersLaMent. Thanks for posting.

I may have to pick up Moon Knight this week, curious to see how this current writer reintreprets Marc's childhood. I'd like to get Doctor Strange too. I know me that would lead to double dipping for the entirety of Cates' run so I am trying to be patient.

Charles Soule posted several unspoilery bits on Twitter about the Hunt for Wolverine and how all the mini series would lead to major changes in the X Men side of things. He called them X-plosions. I goofily responded with "which may lead to many X-Pletives." :D

It's Monday and my Old Man Hawkeye withdrawl is fierce...

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I believe it when I see it.

And I hope the major change is not that Wolverine Jr. go back to X-23.

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    She will have her own book.

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    We already know that All-New Wolverine is ending and Laura Kinney is getting a new series called "X-23," with part of the premise that she's quitting the Wolverine mantle. It's being advertised that she's going back to her roots as X-23 again, but it's unclear if that's figurative or literal.

23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Old Man Hawkeye 4 was great. Love how much emotion is creeping into this. There is a big reveal told subtly about why Clint is going after these specific folks. And the
    descendants of Kraven the Hunter’s family were great fun too.
    The one panel rendered in shadows was brilliant.

Moon Knight 194 - Disappointed that Bemis went where he did. I will stick with Moench’s origin for MK and hope this family angle and trigger is eventually retconned out. Will pass on the rest of Bemis’ run.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week...it's a heavy one..

Marvel Free Preview..So, Amazing Spider-man will start over at #1?
    Free Marvel Rising #0
    Hunt For Wolverine 1, there is a Logan wrapped in adamantium cover and a claw cover. I got the latter.
    All New Wolverine 34
    Doctor Strange 389
    The Hellblazer 21
    The Invincible Iron Man 599
    The Mighty Thor 706, Jane Foster on the cover. Something about some awesome destiny?
    Saga 51
    Thanos Annual #1
    Wonder Woman 42
    X-Men Blue 26 with an awesome cover
    Aliens Dust to Dust #1
    Avengers 690 No Surrender 16
    Doctor Strange Damnation 4
    Old Man Hawkeye 4
    Lady Death #1, a reboot it appears I never had an previous issues.
    Moon Knight 194
    Infinity War True Believers #1

Just a bit under $70

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I just picked up Exiles and Terrifics, but my Jean Grey tpb came.