main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Episode 1 (Assault on Muunilist, Part I) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dp4m, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    When will we egt to here Padme or Anakin's voice?? I know there is a Padme episode I just don't know when.

2. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    That was awesome. I particularly liked Palpatine's character - a little more aggressive yes, but still on target. Did anyone else find it hilarious when Yoda's jaw drops open after Palpatine cuts him off?
    Anakin doesn't have a line, his facial expressions do the talking..another nice touch. And the way they handled the Anakin/Padme scene was better than I had hoped for.

3. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I agree I was especially impressed with the way they handeled the Padme/Anakin relationship. Silent but effective. I cannot wait to hear Kit Fisto and other jedi talk for the first time.

4. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, yup. I love it and I have very good feelings about the series as a whole.

The one gripe I've got (and it's only a small thing) is Palpatine's voice. Ian McDiarmid's Palpatine has a British accent which seems to be the general 'Coruscant' accent. But Nick Jameson who voices CW Palps has given him a noticably American twang.

Apart from that one trifling matter, I think it's fantastic. Impressed, I am.

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

5. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    I have Hyperspace and QT-Pro so I was able to save it.

There's a pull-down menu that tells you info about the 'movie' you are watching.
    It shows the 'duration' as 3:44.

There is a little bit of dead-space at the beginning and the end, so it looks like the running time is about 3:35.

6. Porkins_Dietician

Porkins_Dietician Jedi Master star 1

Jan 16, 2002
    I loved it. I was a skeptic but after one episode, I am on board. The issues for me are the same short but only because I wanted more. If they pull this off I would only want more of the same. I wouldn't want a thirty minute weekly with yoda and his new talking jedi dog and their antics. The cartoon held up the star wars saga perfectly.

Keep giving us more of the same.

7. Sau-Den

Sau-Den Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    It was good, but the really need to make these full-length episodes.

8. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Yeah i agree, too short.

edit: how many of these are there?

9. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    There are twenty of them, 10 now and 10 in March.

Personally, even if they were up to 6/7 mins long, they would be far greater.

10. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I concur that time is the issue but Ithink thi 20 episodes was a sort of trial run. I think in the end the series will be longer after season 2

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Liked this one, although the little intro thingy was a bit annoying, abit necessary.
    The episode it self rocked! Can't wait for the next one!

12. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    Yeah I did not like that dude that cracked jokes at us.

13. DuoDemon

DuoDemon Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    My only problem is that they used most of the montage scenes from the first episode in the promos.

So basically, we saw a lot of the action already.

But it still looks great, and I look forward to the rest of the episodes, even if they are short.

14. Windjammer

Windjammer Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2002
    I liked the first episode. 3 minutes is way too short.

But there is another matter, and this has been my hang up in Attack of the Clones and now with this new cartoon series:

If the clone army is being used by the good Jedi to protect the Republic from the evil Sith - why is the clone army always painted as the bad guys?

First you have the title "Attack of the Clones" - giving us an image that the clones are "bad" because they are attacking.

Also, in Episode 2, and now in this cartoon series, we hear the evil Empire/Darth Vader music cues when we see this clone army.

It just doesn't make any sense. I know the clonetoopers will eventually become the stormtroopers of the evil empire and then deserve being painted evil. But here and now in this series they are being used by the good Jedi to fight the evil sith. They should portray them as good until Episode III.

The bottom line is, it's not really clear who is the bad guy is and why they are fighting. Since it is confusing, it's hard to really get excited over it.

-------------------------

Jedi_Majik replied to my post by saying:

That to me seems to be the point, confusion. Everything about the clone wars, heck everything about Star Wars is confusion. Luke was confused about his father. Han was confused about Luke and Leia. Qui-Gon was confused about Anakin. And we are confused about the Clones.

If you hadn't watched the PT how would you even know that the Imperial March was evil? We should be confused until the end of EP3.

-------------------------

My response to Jedi_Majik is:

Sure, I understand that the characters in the film are confused, that's a key ingredient for good drama - but I'm not talking about the characters. I'm talking about the audience.

Play the Imperial March to anyone who has not seen Star Wars and ask them if this music cue is describing a good character or a bad one. John Williams did a brilliant job with his score identifying it with the bad guys. Now this music is being associated with the clone troopers who are helping the Jedi to protect the Republic against the evil Sith??? Give me a break.

Although some have said ?Oh, well Episode III will clear that all up and then you will understand.? A cliff hanger is one thing, like at the end of Empire, but poor storytelling is another.

15. DuoDemon

DuoDemon Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Well, its because Palpy is playing both sides up the middle. The title of Attack of the Clones was clever, in that most of us didn't expect the clonetroopers to be the good guys.

16. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Now this music is being associated with the clone troopers who are helping the Jedi to protect the Republic against the evil Sith

Dude, seriously... heard of foreshadowing? They may be good guys right now, in a way, but it's the beginning of the Empire.

17. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    The wombat I agree

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, finally got to see it. Two hours of downloading for 3:44 of pleasure. :)

Well worth it though!

Random thoughts;

• I loved Obi-Wan's voice. Spot on.

• Like others have said the outcome of the meeting with Palpatine was a litle "unrealistic", but given the medium and the time restrictions, it worked OK. Loved Anakin's scowl!

• I thought the whole Yoda on a horse-type-thing, way out in front of his forces, was really strange.

• I'm loving those new clone fighters, and I think I'll be breaking out the LEGO this week to build one - should be fun with the fold down wings and flip-over tail, and have a go at Anakin's starfighter too.

• The shot of the starfighter squadron dropping canister bombs on the droid army was my favourite of the whole cartoon, the "camera" work was stunning.

• I also really loved how Anakin was Vader in this shot, before discarding his robe;

[image=http://www.hansen.net.nz/starwars/anakin.jpg]

Can't wait for the actual episodes to start tomorrow, considering this was basically just an overture / introduction. :D

19. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    OMG! You're right, that's the perfect outline of Vader! :D Some great symbolism with him casting off the cloak (he hasn't totally fallen to the darkside yet but he's walking a fine line).

Keeps getting better and better! :D

20. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    That's pretty weird, wonder if it's really suposed to look like vader though.

I still havnt' seen it yet, those damn StarWars.com/cartoonnetork/cartoonnetwork.com bastards!

21. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I was expecting these shorts to be fun and exciting, but I was taken aback by the depth and content. I thought the first episode conveyed three important plot points, all a nice transition from AOTC to EpIII:

1) JEDI AS GENERALS - in AOTC, the war was beginning and the Jedi were finding their way. Now, we hear Obi-Wan refer to 'My Army' which I thought was a fantastic line and changed my whole view on the Jedi as war generals. And his viewing of the troops loading was fantastic and nicely conveyed the idea of the burden of command.

2) PALPATINE TAKES CHARGE - we see Palpatine becoming slightly more dictatorial, which is an important transition for him to make from the PT to the OT. And we see him further widening the rift between Anakin and the Jedi tradition.

3) DEPARTING SOLDIERS - I really liked the final scene of Padme and Anakin sharing a farewell. Nicely done in the tradition of soldiers saying farewell on the way to war.

All in all, a fantastic 3 minute piece which far exceeded my expectations.

22. JediTBD

JediTBD Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    I thought the chapter was pretty rockin'! I don't know how many of you are hyperspace members or whatever, but listening to the commentaries is wicked cool...the ones on hyperspace are different from the ones on the cartoon network site, and it's well worth it to listen to both...the hyperspace ones are more about the "making of" where the cartoon network ones are more storyline oriented...

bravo to CN and Lucasfilm for this one...

23. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Am I the only person who laughed hysterically when Padmé made her appearance? She looked ridiculous, especially with those triangles sticking out of the side of her head!

Regardless, the first episode was fantastic, I have it on VHS and I will transfer all ten to DVD-R when the season is finished. Expect these to pop up on eBay!

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Great episode, not much else I can add that hasn't been covered already, though I'll save my full review for elsewhere.

But, Saesee Tiin's bombing run rocked hard (man am I glad that boy ain't dead afterall!), and I loved the ANH homage with the clone fighters.

This episode did seem VERY short though- but that's likely because half of the episode was taken up by that opening montage and the episode didn't really start until that montage had ended.

So, really this episode was only 1.5 minutes long- which would explain why it feels so short.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>She looked ridiculous!<<

[image=http://joanna.fandom.art.pl/inspire/liza1.jpg]