main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    It seems to be a trend in fiction, not just with Disney. DC Comics and Star Trek have both rebooted their universes, and it's not the first time for the former.

Gotta give Disney some credit, though. At least they announced they were erasing whatever the EU established - Lucas didn't even give us that courtesy.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003

I don't believe the Star Trek literary universe has been rebooted. The Abrams Trek is an alternate universe but things like TNG and the Star Trek MMO are still going strong.

3. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    As far as Star Trek goes, unless they released something I missed, the literary universe is separate from the cinematic universe. With the Abrams movie, it doesn't matter whether or not it's an AU - the focus is on that story. The original Star Trek universe hasn't had a new movie since Nemesis, and the last series was the three-season failure Enterprise. The original Star Wars EU is still going strong with book sales, but it's no longer the focus. Much like the original Star Trek universe, it's been tossed aside for something else.

4. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003

The events in literary universe led to the new alternate universe in the movies, well, at least tailored to do so, but is still considered very much valid and canon by Trekkies. There were 4 seasons of Enterprise, not 3. Paramount made sure to keep the original universe intact while doing something new by making it an alternate universe. This is regardless of focus. This is about continuity.

5. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    Regardless of whether or not novels led into the new ST movies, they are not canon. The writers can cherry-pick parts they want and make it canon in a series/movie, but until then, those particular parts are separate from the overall universe. Official stance trumps fan stance in regards to continuity.
    For all intents and purposes, Star Trek was rebooted. The only difference between it and the old SW EU is the creators decided to throw in an explanation that would prevent backlash. The original Star Trek universe is still considered canon, sure, but there haven't been any additions to it. They stopped working on the old universe in favor of the new one.

But we're getting slightly off topic. My point still stands: rebooting franchises seems to be a popular tool for writers. DC is especially guilty of this, having rebooted their entire universe numerous times. Star Wars fans haven't really had to deal with anything on that scale until now. I still give props to Disney for letting us know prior to the release of TFA instead of simply surprising us, as Lucas often did. Now we can go into the movie without thinking, "Hey, that's not the way it happened!"

6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Of course, the explanation actually made it worse, IMO. I'd have been fine (well, not fine, but feel better) if they'd just said "this is an alternate universe," but instead they also entirely locked down the story possibilities for the old universe. And the film's weren't nearly good enough to justify that.
    And rebooting is just generally the lazy way out anyway.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  7. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    So what kind of Legends stuff do you guys want to see published?

I wouldn't mind getting that Shaak Ti book.

spicer likes this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    My number one choice (as always): MORE DARK TIMES :D Oh, and Doug Wheatley back for the art please.

More KOTOR comics with Zayne and company.

Republic Commando 2

Amon_Amarth and Davak24 like this.
  9. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    I want some more Jedi Republic comics. There's like so many more they could do. And please get Ostrander and Duursema to do them.

I'd like another Jedi Knight game. Really want to play as Kyle again.

And an actual KOTOR 3 featuring party members from the first two games.

Amon_Amarth and spicer like this.
  10. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003

Wish they'd have an ending for Force Unleashed.

darskpine10 likes this.
  11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Anything John & Jan = yes please!

I'd also like to see the Sword of the Jedi, a Jaina novel that was in planning, but never got delivered due to Disney nuking the EU. Even though I'm not entirely happy what LotF and FotJ did to the next gen, I'd still like to see more of the next gen. Getting invested into those characters is what got me into SW fandom in the first place.

Silas Nightstalker likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Being invested in those characters is exactly why I don't want any more stories from the post-NJO timeline.

13. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    What kind of SW stories would you like to see from Legends, Zeta?

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Reenlistment of Baron Fel is definitely one of the main things.

15. Dark Clone

Dark Clone Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2015
    Do you think we will actually see any new Legends stuff published?
    I don't Disney wants that anymore.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as there is money to be had, anything is possible, though it isn't likely to be right away due to the focus on the new canon.

17. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003

If the new canon books sell poorly, there's a possibility. Slim though.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think there will be at least one Legends novel published eventually. Disney made a sequel to Tron fer crissakes. There's a wave of TFA merch out there. They will go long and difficult to shake fans upside down for pennies.

Bardan Edit: No links to crowdfunding.

19. Vic Sage

Vic Sage Jedi Padawan

May 1, 2014
    I've never heard anything good about the last few books in the EU.It seems that it was an ignominious end for a lot of you.Like another poster said at least Disney gave y'all a fair warning unlike George.I don't think they even would want the EU to return as a alternate universe.Too convoluted they jettisoned all of that in the name of streamlining.I've learned to accept it.

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Strictly speaking, they do view it as an alternate universe. That way, they can keep republishing the old books under the Legends banner.

21. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003
    Give it another 7-8 years, they'll just reboot it again.

22. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    To those who have seen The Force Awakens: Do you now wish Disney had filmed stories from the EU instead - like The Thrawn Trilogy or The New Jedi Order?

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes and no.

Vizzy91, Amon_Amarth and Regan21286 like this.
  24. Regan21286

Oct 18, 2003

My thoughts exactly.

Vizzy91 and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. GrimdarkRose

GrimdarkRose Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 19, 2015
    Not really. The story we got with TFA was good, (I loved it, anyway) and I couldn't imagine anything else now.

The spinoffs, however, would be an excellent place to film (slightly altered for continuity) EU stories.

Vizzy91 and Regan21286 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.