main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Official** First Reactions Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Gandalf the Grey, May 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    This thread is to discuss you?re first reactions about all parts of Attack of the Clones. Walking out of the theatre, what did you think of it? Is it great, good, bad, or are you indifferent?

Also, feel free to vote in the census poll For those who have seen it: How do you rate Attack of the Clones? Note: Census is a non-spoiler board, so be careful not to spoil anyone.

2. doublejointed

doublejointed Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2002
    no disrespect intended, is this the same as Padme's new thread that seems fairly all encompassing, I was just wonderring, cause I wouldn't want all the great responses to be split up, I, like you, would like them all organised nicely

this one looks more official because of the asterisks, and words OFFICIAL

what to do?

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Are you refering to "Annoucement: AOTC Official Threads?" That's the thread where he says to post in threads with **Official** in the titles, rather than creating new "I Just Saw AOTC!" sort of threads. It's for announcements.

4. dash101

dash101 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    Great Thread

My opinion is as follows.

cue fanfair
    ;)

Star Wars: Episode II
    --Attack of the Clones--

My first reaction leaving the theater was
    how many references and sub-references in the film there was.

I giggled when Yoda gave stern looks as Palpatine spoke. I snicked at Obi-Wans assessment of the 'Why do I feel that some day, you'll be the death of me'.

Attack of the Clones was fun. No doubt about it. But this film, much more then its predesessor, is a fan film.

Why do I say its a fan film? Because all the subtlies and everything that entails Attack of the Clones can only be appriciated by the hardcore fans.

Truth is, I didn't like some elements of this film. Infact, I thought the wedding scene was SOOOO SHORT it was pathetic..

Again, Lucas spend 15 minutes or longer on action sequences and when it came to important things like the wedding, it lasts all of 1 and a half minutes..

Frustrating..

But give or take, this is a great sci-fi film. And its a good Star Wars film.

Its very good.
    :D

-dash101

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  5. bw_dave

bw_dave Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    Just got back from the midnight session here, and initial feeling was that of the senses being totally bombarded in the last half hour of the movie! It really kicks in once Padme and Anakin get into the droid factory.

I've decided after tonight though, to remain unspoiled for epIII. Knowing all the story, draft script etc, really made me notice the scenes that were cut, and being perverse as we humans are, I really missed them (simply because I couldn't see them).

What happened to the whole shutting-down-the-droids sub-plot in the end battle?? I didn't even realise it had been cut till tonight. We just saw the captured jedi returned to the arena, but no mention of where they'd been.

Also the Jango death I'd hoped would be a longer scene.

Boy I'm starting to sound like a basher! All in all I loved the movie, and was also pleasantly surprised by Hayden's acting.

The crowd response was very positive... they went ballistic when yoda appeared at the end!! Every time he fended off one of Dooku's force attacks there was mad cheering, not to mention when he went "matrix" on Dooku's butt!

Well I'm off to beddy-byes I'll see how I feel about it after sleeping on it, but I have a suspicion I'll be going back a few times in the coming weeks. Cinemas are so much better than dvds! :)

6. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    It seems to have been loved here in Australia from what I've seen. There was plenty of cheering as I exited the theatre and the movie itself really was a knock-out.

Great story development and plenty of questions in place for the next one.

My initial thoughts are that it's a vast improvement on TPM and definetely more up there with the originals.

I'm pretty flabbergasted at the moment.

7. Cooloola

Cooloola Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2002
    Well were do we start!
    i went to the midnight session in melbourne aus.

its good to see the movie portraying anakin's slow demise to the dark side, with little cracks begining to show(except for slaughtering an entire tribe thingy of sand ppl). the tension between obi wan and anakin made this movie interesting for me.

the little humourous parts i found interesting.
    obviously there wasa huge cheer when yoda whipped out the lightsaber, although i thought it funny that after going "matrix" yoda then preceeded to hobble on his cane.
    cgi yoda is brilliant.
    i never read any spoilers so i found some of the plot twists quite suprising Dooku working with sidiuos.
    overall i thought the film was much better than PM although it took me a long time to settle into the movie, but still an excellent installment to the saga.
    consistency with the books would have been nice though re. the death star plans!

8. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    Got a great response from this midnight screening - especially when Yoda entered the fray.

I agree - as a fan film it is unprecedented. The general audience may be much touger to appease. Also, it's repeated viewing factor is off the scale.

By George, he's done it. I'm beside myself.

SI

ps. Hayden nailed Anakin, IMO. The naysayers are all full of gravy.

9. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I must admit to feeling a little disappointment walking out of the theater. But I think many hardcore fan's first viewing of AOTC won't be their best one. The final hangar duel is very short. Obi-Wan versus Dooku was actually more impressive than Anakin versus Dooku. Anakin uses two lightsabers for less than ten seconds, so I wish they never showed that in the trailers. You expect to really see Anakin's saber skills here, but instead, he comes across as not as fast as you'd think. The glow sticks part, where numerous close-up face shots of Anakin and Dooku are shown, is a little disjointed. But don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see it again. Knowing what to expect now, I think I will enjoy it much more.

10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Just back from the midnight screening in Sydney and on cloud nine.

Absolutely brilliant film - no bearing whatsoever on TPM. A true Star Wars film made for Star Wars fans, not (thank goodness) the movie reviewer of "Newsweek" magazine. Bring on episode III !!!!

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  11. Darth_Iquitous

Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    OMG!! It was HORRIBLE!! I felt FAINT and DIZZY and...oh...first reactions to the MOVIE...I thought you were talking to first reactions to heightened anticipation FOR the movie. Uhh...the movie looks great...I'll be seeing it in about 13.5 hours.

12. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    Just a question for you people:

DOES THE QUALITY OF THE ACTING IN ANY WAY AFFECT YOUR OPINION OF THIS OR ANY OTHER MOVIE?

At least among TPM gushers, i have seen no evidence of this.

13. nethanial

nethanial Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2000
    I have to say i loved it.
    Everything is starting to fall into place now.
    The audience seemed to love it, ecspecially the yoda vs dooku sabre fight.
    Obi Wan Kenobi was just awesome and Ewan does an excellent job as him.
    The bad.
    Besides a few of the "lovey" bits and a few of the CGI parts, there wasnt anything over the top terrible.
    IMHO its better then Phantom and Return but not as good as Hope or Empire.
    Off to bed now.
    Enjoy it guys.
    Cheers,
    N

14. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    dahveed72, of course the quality of acting affects people's opinion of this or any other movie. What are you getting at here?

15. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Oh. My. God.

Let me say this: if the movie had just contained Yoda's fight scene, I would have been content. The jedi battles and the love story between Anakin and Padme was well done, if a little cliché.

16. Kelyne

Kelyne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 1999
    dahveed72, you have already made your mind up about the movie your just looking for people to support your feelings. Don't go too the movie go see Spiderman again or wait for Scooby Doo. Geeze. You have not even seen the movie yet.

17. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    would you guys say that the lightsaber battle in AOTC is longer or shorter than the one in TPM?

How much so?

18. skywalkersound

skywalkersound Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    What do you guy think of the sound quality? How was the ground battle?- Gotta tell us about the clones?

19. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    luukeskywalker, the lightsaber battle at the end of AOTC is much shorter than TPM's. Yoda versus Dooku is the highlight of course. But Obi-Wan and Anakin only get about a minute each with Dooku. :(

Skywalkersound, the sound quality is great. The clones in action and the land battle is also sweet, but also doesn't last as long as you'd hope.

20. skywalkersound

Nov 16, 2001
    really?- If you had to take a wild @$$ guess, how long is the ground battle?

Thanks for the heads up on the sound. :)

21. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    15 minutes?

22. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Re Acting:-
    Hayden can act
    Ewan can definately act
    Natalie is better
    Ian and Christopher Lee are fab

Acting better than ROTJ and light-years from TPM...

23. skywalkersound

Nov 16, 2001
    15 minutes?- Man that sounds short. Let me guess, it went by really fast?

24. Nester_Klu

Nester_Klu Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2002
    I too have just returned from the nearest "Big Screen" showing of AOTC and I came away very impressed indeed! :).

Initial reactions are similar to The Phantom Menace for me personally (I enjoyed it immensely also at its initial screening), however I feel that while PM grated on the nerves some-what with repeated viewings (a fact which may have led to its esculating unpopularity IMHO with the fanbase). I feel Episode 2 will have no such problems as has been noted, it's a fan film for the fans and from what I've seen here on these boards, that's all you need to know ;).

Personal Favourate scenes: Yoda/Dooku fight: you could have heard a pin drop when the little master hobbled into view...then for a few thrilling moments the fans cheered in the theatre (twice during this scene) the enthusiasm there was a palpable buzz, definate classic Star Wars moment.

C3PO towards the end: I know he's a bit iffy with a few folks here, but I could'nt fault him in the production line and the arena battle, pure hilarity, a sure sign that Star Wars is back (also, his "fall" seemed to go off well cgi wise, you could'nt even tell it "was" done by computer). Dispite his carbon encrusted features, he really shone this Episode.

They fight!, they fight!, They fight, they fight, they fight!!: Battles galore (after a plodding first thirty minutes or so, things steadily build up until its absalute mayhem at the end, best fight scenes ever!, Jedi spinning, "forcing" kicking and cutting, whilst poor cannon fodder robots advanced remorselessly upon them. The Super-Battle-Droids were nifty brutish beings who just waded though their smaller cousins, blasting away with indifferent calmness.
    The Clones themselves were professional and kickass (the scene of them advancing though the dustcloud blasting away visciously is a stunner :) ). Add some swashbuckling uno-on-uno fights and it was a REAL treat for those with an eye for action (like me!).

Sonic Mines!!!: 'nuff said!.}:)

Nothing irritated me through-out the film too much, Anikin's mooing over Padame was a trifle heavy-handed at times, but adequite for the smitten teen Vader-to-be.

Acting did'nt sag terribally but showed more confidence this time round, the dialog was pure Star Wars at times and that can only be a good thing, everyone aquitted themselves (and at times redeemed themselves) very well I thought.

The CGI was Lavish in places and barely noticable in others, but it added well to the epic scale of the Star Wars universe and quite frankly is beginning to make the original trilogy look quite primitive in comparison.

Overall I enjoyed myself, I was drawn in steadily after a slow start and delighted in the movie further until the stunning end and I left the theatre abuzz and very releived, hoping that it will do much to restore folks faith in Lucas anew...

I give AOTC: 4/5 Stars; It is DEFINATELY a Star Wars Movie as it was meant to be.

25. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    My first impressions were that it was very big. I think it'll take at least one more viewing to fully understand what it was I was seeing. I'll post a few of the things that really jumped out at me though.

The acting was brilliant. I was a little concerned with how it would go, but for me at least it was incredible. Full marks there.

I loved the scene with Anakin talking government with Padme - to me that just made a lot more things from the OT make sense.

I was actually quite impressed with the dialogue too. I know a few people I was with had problems with it, but I liked the OT in jokes, and some of the other little things George included in there.

And Yoda...what can I say? You can hear whatever you want about it, but that just doesn't compare to seeing it. I think that is one of my all-time favourite Star Wars moments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.