Discussion Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII - Spoilers Allowed' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ScorpionJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    If they are going to mine from the EU, then maybe Mara dies, leaving Luke and his son? It explains the Red hair. Daisy Ridley's character is no doubt their daughter,
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    No doubt. That's why they seated her between Han and Leia for the read-through of the script in order to throw us off.
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Apr 29, 2014
    Dra--- likes this.
  3. JediGirl_Angelina Force Ghost

star 3
    If we go by that logic (Daisy sitting between Harrison and Carrie suggesting she's their daugther in the film), wouldn't Domhnall be sitting next to Mark?
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The fact that you have to explain it in such painstaking fashion proves you are not employing the simplest explanation.

What's easier? That convoluted, 200-word explanation you gave above or this one: Obi-Wan wasn't meant to be taken literally. 200 words versus 7 words? I think the 7 words are simpler.

If you believe it was a continuity error - and you may certainly be right - then that only supports the point that Lucas didn't have some sort of elaborate backstory of the Old Republic floating around inside his head.
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 29, 2014
    kubricklynch likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Yes, which is equally as illogical as any other assumption we make based on that cast list at this point.
  6. Granek Jedi Grand Master

star 1

so wouldn't this make Jedi Academy cannon and thus Jaden Korr and Kyle Katarn's characters cannon?
  7. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I guess I just have trouble accepting the idea that Obi-Wan was such a blithering idiot that he didn't know the difference between a year and a generation. That explanation, while yes simpler and shorter to write, strains credibility far past the point of being believable to me, so for that reason I'm unable to call it the simplest explanation. The idea that the Jedi served the Republic long before the peace which had lasted for the previous millennium is a much simpler explanation to me. Believe what you want though, and I will too. Hopefully someday this will all be definitively cleared up in the new continuity.
    Dra--- likes this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6

Arguably yes. The lightside outcome of games as well as playable characters, at least until now, have always been considered canon because most of the Star Wars games have been produced by Lucasarts which is or at least was subsidiary of Lucasfilm. Its the minutia of game play and game mechanics that are up for debate because no two people will play the same game in exactly the same way/
    Last edited by Chancellor_Ewok, Apr 29, 2014
  9. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Nobody is calling Obi-Wan a blithering idiot. When you use a phrase euphemistically, you are getting the point across without being interpreted literally - and in the real world, no one considers you a blithering idiot because everyone understands what a euphemism is.

If you had a friend who said "man, I haven't eaten in forever!" would you:

A) Consider your friend a blithering idiot since such a thing is not possible for a human being
    B) Be amazed at the fact that your friend has never once eaten a meal in the entire history of the universe, or
    C) Understand that what your friend really meant is that he is hungry and maybe skipped a meal or snack earlier in the day

So a character in a movie speaking euphemistically saying "1,000 generations" when he really means "a long time" strains your credulity? I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.

In the movies, as well as in the real world, people speak in euphemisms all the time. (See what I did there?)
    Last edited by Beezer, Apr 29, 2014
  10. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I don't know, man. Over a thousand generations seems like pretty specific phrasing to me. But yeah agree to disagree. I think there might be something else going on now that's more worthy of discussion. Or not. [face_peace]
    Darth_Pevra, Dra--- and Darth 1138 like this.
  11. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    "Ben, why didn't you tell me that the Republic was only 1000 years old?"
    "On Stewjon, generation means year, so what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."
    BigAl6ft6 and KevinM1 like this.
  12. Darth 1138 Jedi Padawan

Glad you said that, otherwise this conversation would have gone on for the next 1500 posts.... whoops.

Point 2:
    SWTOR, KOTOR I-II and Darth Bane trilogy are all linked (Darth Bane less so but still), so maybe by association those two would remain "protected", at least to an extent.

Point 3: I'm also really hoping that the very vague continuity established by Luceno in Darth Plagueis, when he mentioned half-a-dozen past "Rule of Two" Sith Lords. Each of these had maybe a sentence about them, but frankly I could read a whole book. With the potential for varied origins and stories and schemes, each name could be like a chapter in the grand plan that somehow led to Tenebrous to Plagueis to... well you know the rest.

So far, in the EU Luceno's books seemed to be have been treated as the closest movie tie-ins (CoD, EP III trilogy and the closely supervised Darth Plagueis). So there is a chance, especially with Luceno doing Tarkin and possibly beyond, for those to stay in.
  13. Grazzbek Jedi Padawan

Well, I guess all I can do is sit and hope. I will treat KOTOR I and II as well as TOR canon at the very least until they are contradicted.
    ScorpionJedi likes this.
  14. ScorpionJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Maybe he's an estranged son? Only they really know but really though I'm sure Domhnall not sitting next to Mark doesn't really mean a thing. Making these sorts of assumptions is like saying "Hey Robert Downey Jr's lawn was mowed yesterday! OMG Marvel reacquired the rights to all their lost properties!" *Has nervous breakdown*
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. JediGirl_Angelina Force Ghost

star 3
    I know. It was supposed to show that we are a bit too early with jumping to conclusions who plays who. Heck, JJ could upset everyone and let Daisy play Luke's daughter, for instance. :)
  16. purplerain Force Ghost

star 4
    The Marvel Cinematic Universe has an EU that explains things such as how Steve Rogers met Bucky and how the bifrost bridge was repaired in between Thor 1 and The Dark World. Maybe the story group EU will be similar to that?
    Jedi Merkurian and Iron_lord like this.
  17. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    interesting concept. could happen.
    purplerain likes this.
  18. Gallandro Chosen One

star 4
  19. Ryus Force Ghost

star 4
    Good find.

I was about to laugh at how they ignore answering if the radio dramas are now uncanon but then I realized why ask a book company if the radio dramas count or not... how would they know. Lol.
    Last edited by Ryus, Apr 30, 2014
  20. LittleDefel Jedi Master

star 1
    Doesn't the ANH novelization claim that Owen is Obi-Wan's brother?
  21. Zer0 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I hope the Episode 7 novelization is good, I wouldn't mind if Stover wrote it.
  22. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    that's the ROTJ novel i think.
  23. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    i don't read the novels until after i see a particular movie. with HP i didn't read any of the books until all of the movies were out. with ROTS, I think i read it right after i saw ROTS the second time. I don't want to be spoiled like i was with The Winter Soldier and Into Darkness. The only thing that i want to see is the 2 to 3 theaterical trailers and 1 or 2 teaser trailers they do for VII.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6

I would think that the SWRDs would be canon considering that they were recorded and mixed by Skywalker Sound.
  25. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    It is - specifically, Obi-Wan says it during his conversation with Luke on Endor.

In ANH he says that Vader used the dark side of the Force "to help the later corrupt Emperors".