main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fun On this date in history...

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Juliet316 , Dec 26, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Time-Traveling F&G Moderator star 10 Staff Member Moderator

Apr 27, 2005
    May the Fourth be With You!

On May 4, 1776, Rhode Island declares independence

On May 4, 1865, Abraham Lincoln is buried in Springfield Illinois

On May 4, 1965, Willie Mays breaks the National League home run record

On May 4, 1970, 28 National Guardmen fire guns at antiwar demonstrators at Kent State University, killing four and wounding eight.

On May 4, 1977, David Frost conducts his legendary interview with then President Richard Nixon.

On May 4, 1979, Margaret Thatcher is sworn in as the first female UK Prime Minister.

On May 4, 1994, Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat sign an accord for Palastinian Self - Rule.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So does this mean Lincoln will be a force ghost in Episode VII?

3. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless this is the alternate timeline from Watchmen I am fairly confident Nixon was not president in 1977 OR when he did his interview with David Frost.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *facepalm* This is what I get for posting before coffee.

Edit: Upon double-checking, Nixon did do another interview with Frost on this day, but this was, indeed, when he was out of office.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

How do you get the dedication of the Empire State but not what happened at Imola in 1994? Granted it affects more than Americans so may be outside the scope of your myopic worldview, but it's a significant event in the modern era.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  7. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    By "Another" do you mean his only? I believe in fact checking enough to do my OWN research here and have found that Frost's series of interviews with Nixon were done in March/April of 1977.

In your defense the first of the edited TV specials did AIR on May 4th.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Happy Cinco de Mayo!

On May 5, 1862, Mexican forces defeat the French army at Puebla de Los Angeles. This victory is celebrated as Cinco de Mayo.

On May 5, 1877, in the hopes of finding a safe haven from the US Army, Indian Chief Sitting Bull leads his people into Canada.

On May 5, 1904, Cy Young throws the first Perfect Game in baseball's modern era.

On May 5, 1961, Alan Shepard becomes the first American in space

On May 5, 2002, the movie Spider-man becomes the first film to gross over $100 million on it's opening day weekend.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In 1821, Napoleon Bonaparte, 51, died in exile on the island of St. Helena.

In 1934, the first Three Stooges short for Columbia Pictures, "Woman Haters," was released.

In 1973, Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby, the first of its Triple Crown victories.

In 1981, Irish Republican Army hunger-striker Bobby Sands died at the Maze Prison in Northern Ireland in his 66th day without food.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I watched the film based off of Sands, Hunger, about a month ago. God it was a brutal movie. Very well made for a first feature though.

12. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Well, if I may...

On May 6th...

In 1889, the Paris Exposition formally opened, featuring the just-completed Eiffel Tower.

In 1910, Britain's Edwardian era ended with the death of King Edward VII; he was succeeded by George V.

In 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed an executive order creating the Works Progress Administration (WPA), one of many Great Depression relief programs created under the auspices of the Emergency Relief Appropriations Act, which Roosevelt had signed the month before.

In 1937, the German airship Hindenburg, the largest dirigible ever built, exploded shortly after arriving at Lakehurst Naval Air Station in New Jersey. 35 of the 97 people on board and a Navy crewman on the ground were killed.

In 1942, U.S. Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright surrenders all U.S. troops in the Philippines to the Japanese.

In 1954, in Oxford, England, 25-year-old medical student Roger Bannister cracks track and field's most notorious barrier, the four-minute mile, with a time of 3 minutes and 59.4 seconds.

In 1970, hundreds of colleges and universities across the U.S. shut down as thousands of students joined a nationwide campus protest against the Vietnam War.

In 1994, in a ceremony presided over by England's Queen Elizabeth II and French President Francois Mitterand, a rail tunnel under the English Channel was officially opened, connecting Britain and the European mainland.

Hope I'm not stepping on toes by posting this first.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you can get this non-event but not the Allied landings at Gallipoli or the death of Ayrton Senna de Silva, which prompted three days of national mourning in Brazil in 1994 and saw thousands flock to Imola this year to commemorate it?

Perhaps mods should rename the thread "On this date in history from an absurdly uncultured, American-centric position". I would hate for new users to expect that a global perspective might be possible.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Or... you could post the things that you think are important.

15. Rosslcopter

Sep 2, 2012
    If she literally posts ALL the important historical events that happened on this day in history she'll have nothing to post next year

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Don't be silly, she just reposts the same stuff each year.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Too bad Zaz isn't around anymore... they'd be pals.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    On This Day...

Writer Robert Browning is born on May 7, 1812

Actor Gary Cooper is born on May 7, 1901

On May 7, 1902, Volcanic eruption of Mount Pele, virtually wipes the Carribean city of Saint Pierre off the map.

On May 7, 1915, the Lusitania sinks after being torpedoed by a German sub.

On May 7, 1960, Leonid Brezhnev is selected the USSR equivalent of President.

On May 7, 1994, Edward Munch's The Scream is recovered in Asgardstrand, Norway.

On May 7, 1998, Daimler-Benz announced the purchase of Chrysler.

19. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    In 1789, America's first inaugural ball was held in New York in honor of President George Washington, who'd taken the oath of office a week earlier.

In 1824, Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125, had its premiere in Vienna.

In 1945, the German High Command, in the person of General Alfred Jodl, signs the unconditional surrender of all German forces, East and West, at Reims, in northwestern France.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Gary Cooper was an unbelievably wooden actor. High Noon hasn't aged very well.

21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    If you want to call him that, smile!

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Some aspects of the film do work though. The cinematography the injury makeup that remains consistent (nobody becomes magically healed in the next scene), the song though is unbelievably awful.

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    High Noon is one of the all-time awesome classic westerns and Gary Cooper is a master of playing tough guys who keep their feelings to themselves. He's not wooden; he's subtle.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    On This Day...

On May 8, 1792, Congress passes the second part of the Milita Act, requiring all white men 18 - 45 to be enrolled in the miltia

On May 8, 1899, Yeats' The Countess Cathleen, opens is the inaugural performance at the Irish Literary Theater in Dublin.

On May 8, 1945, V-E Day is celebrated in the US and Britain

On May 8, 1963. the very first Bond film, Dr. No, debuted in cinema theaters with Sean Connery in the title role.

On May 8, 1984, the Soviet Union vows to boycott the 1984 Olympic games in Los Angeles.

On May 8, 1988, Sheila Nickell is convicted of two counts of murder and becomes the first person convincted under the Federal Anti - Tampering Act after putting cyanide capsules in Excedrin bottles.

On May 8, 2010, Actress Betty White becomes the oldest person to host the variety-sketch program Saturday Night Live.

25. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    In 1541, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the Mississippi River.

In 1902, the volcano Mt. Pelee on the island of Martinique erupted, completely destroying the city of Saint-Pierre and killing about 30,000 people.

In 1944, the first "eye bank" designed to preserve corneal tissues for transplants was established at New York Hospital.

In 1973, militant American Indians who'd held the South Dakota hamlet of Wounded Knee for ten weeks surrendered.

Juliet316 likes this.