main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Operation: Fighting Shape -- Updates and Support

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BPStoyle, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Chris mentioned posting this a while back, and I think it's a fantastic idea.

There are a lot of us who have talked about getting into better shape, especially with the Bisons game duels coming up in June. So this thread is meant for everyone to share what they're doing to get into better shape (however big or small), and for those that wish to support them to cheer them on.

So feel free to post your updates, victories, and support for your fellow North Ridge members here!

2. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    I'm currently just shy of 220 pounds. I was down to about 185-190 in college, but with my huge decrease of activity with the office job and the car, I slowly gained back up to about 230 in the last few years. My ultimate goal would be to get my weight down to around 175 lbs., but I'm shooting to get back under 200 for the Bisons game.

To get started, I'm doing my best to go to the gym and do some cardio at least 3 times a week, in addition to our dueling rehearsals. As I get better at that and can do more, I want to increase this by either increasing my sessions' lengths, or going 4-5 times a week.

I'm a big fan of the elliptical. If I go at the right time of the day and have the right energy/mood, I could go on that thing for more than an hour, though I usually aim to get at least 30-45 minutes in each time.

3. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    First and foremost, i want to be able to keep up with my two boys. carrying one and chasing another isn't going to be easy. Next, I'd like to fit my costume better and not be as out of breath during my short duels at the game.

I know I have a nasty habit of not eating breakfast and eating late at night. i started bringing oatmeal with me to work and opting for a healthy snack late inthe day as opposed to junk food. So far, so good for about 6 days now.

My personal goal is to lose about 60 pounds. Planning to start a quick diet shortly. Mindy's dad has lost about 25 pounds in about a month, so i feel confident I can do it. I know I'll have to continue to watch what I do as well as get more exercise to keep it off.

Hoping to grab the treadmill from Lisa soon...

4. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    Let me know when you can come on over and the treadmill is yours Chris! Love my gazelle much better than the treadmill collecting dust downstairs. ;) Oh, I guess I should make sure it still works first right? [face_laugh]

We started "Get in shape in 8" at work. Basically we are just weighing in every week for 8 weeks and if we lost or maintained we are put into a hat for a $10.00 prize each week. Somehow I have lost over 2 pounds the first two weeks... I really think the 3-4 hours of dueling every Saturday is really helping with burning calories! I looked it up and for 3 hours of dueling practice you can burn over 1100 calories! No WONDER I am STARVING afterwards! [face_laugh]

We also got a Wii Fit Plus for our family Christmas gift and really love it!

5. WookieeJedi

WookieeJedi Merchandise Coordinator/North Ridge Diplomat star 4

Jun 15, 2009
    Yeah I always say every year I am going to get into shape and lose some weight so I can get some of my speed and endurance back for the sports I still do. Also feeling the extra weight in my joints more. So I plan to try and lose 30 pounds by april or may. Already cut out soda pop bevrages and drinking more water since jan 1st. Still would love to join that bufalo fencing group if anyone is interested. Plus the fact of going back to the single status helps for motivation as well too. LOL

6. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    WOW.

I definitely have some peak energy levels between 9:30pm and midnight.

I got onto the elliptical tonight, planning on doing about 40 minutes or so. I ended up staying on for over an hour and a half, burning off 1700 calories in one session. That was definitely the longest and most I've burned in one session EVER. I can't even believe I stayed on that long.

7. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Good luck everyone on their weightloss goals.

The eliptical is awesome, when I went all the time last winter I'd do an hour and blast out 1100 cals then I would hop on the treadmill and do another hour for another 1200 cals. Unfortunatly. For me money got tight and the gym membership went.

I go to weightwatchers everweek and have been doing good the last few weeks dropping just under 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I really want to get back to 300lbs by the bisons game. I lost all that weight a few years ago and gained most of it back so I'm behing the ball but it can be done in 5 months.

I can average about 3 lbs a weeks if I stay on target and exercise.

I have both the fit and the ea active and must say for the money the active is the way to go.

But as I said before good luck to everybody and thanks BP for starting this thread as its nice to hear good words of encouragement from you friends.

8. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    3 pounds a week is really impressive, Dan. That's great to hear that you can achieve that. :)

9. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Thats cutting out all sodas and staying to a semi strict diet and exercise plan. I've averaged 3lbs a week this month at least. The doc says I can go up to 5lbs a week until I hit 300lbs. He doesnt want to see any more than 5lbs a week though.

The key is eating breakfast and not eating 3 hours before bedtime.

10. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I've been bringing breakfast with me to work.

Had some yogurt & granola with a banana today. Doing my best to stay away from coffee, hot chocolate, and pop.

We ordered pizza last night - veggie pizza. Not nearly as much grease as a regular c&p pie and just as delicious!

11. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    I can always bring my weight watcher starter book for people to look at to a meeting. it gives you the basics and it works if you follow the plan. Remember when I lost all that weight......

12. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Good going with the breakfast Chris.

I can't do veggie pizza. But I picked up a tip of patting a greasy slice down with a napkin before eating it, it'll cut as many as 50 calories off right there.

I need to cut down/out my pop intake. I don't drink all that much anymore but I noticed a significant difference when I didn't drink any at all.

Hoping to hit the gym again tonight after rehearsal. We'll see how I'm feeling.

13. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Steve - The Fencing Club is great. I would definitely recommend it. Kevin, the instructor, is a great guy. I know Lisa had him for an instructor a while back as well. Sadly my schedule doesn't really allow for that too often, but I definitely appreciate having at least the groundwork to build off of. :)

14. starwarsarmboy

starwarsarmboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 9, 2002
    I need to cut down/out my pop intake. I don't drink all that much anymore but I noticed a significant difference when I didn't drink any at all.

All I drink is Wegmans Flavored Water, its awesome + no sugar added!

15. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    The flavored water's a great idea. Thanks Jay!

Went to the gym for a bit after rehearsal. I was pretty wiped but got another 341 calories burned. So that makes 2041 for the week thus far.

16. MakanPyralis

MakanPyralis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    I too have been working on loosing weight. who's ever seen boba with a big o belly? I've done a lot of research and am seeing a doctor for it.

I have a few tips

17. the pop is the biggest thing to cut out.

18. eat 5 to 6 times a day to keep your metabolism active. eat a smaller breakfast, 2 - 3 hours later eat a small snack like a piece of fruit or a granola bar. 2 - 3 hours later eat a small lunch. 2-3 hours later eat another small snack. 2-3 hours later eat dinner. and finally depending on the time eat a small snack.

19. don't eat anything after 7 - 7:30, or at least 3 hours before bed. but not eating past 7:30 is best. just like big dan mentioned

20. drink more water. like jay said, flavored water. crystal lite isn't has healthy, but it is still a lot more water then say iced tea. or if you are like me, and can't stop drinking iced tea, make it very weak by using less mix

21. getting a little cardio in. even if it is just taking a walk for a half an hour 5 times a week. (ok this one im guilty of not doing!:oops:

22. eat a lot of salads. now this one can be tricking. a salad is only has health as you make it. then number one thing that gets messed up on salads when people are dieting is the salad dressing. the biggest thing to do is to use diet dressing ( i know, ew) and the next is using as little as possible. if using regular dressing and too much of it, you might as well be eating a big mac!

23. since i got my apartment i stopped most of these. once i get back from albany i will be picking back up.

Since i started in november, I have lost 15 - 20 pounds. Not really sure, i havent been to the doctors since december, but from november to december, i lost 11 pounds. I am at 280, my goal is to be down to 200 before chistmas and then maintain it. Im thinking of getting a gym membership, idk...

any ways there is the tips i have learned.

24. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    Yup, this is where I got my start! Kevin is awesome and was my mentor. The Master fencer that used to run Les Ames fencing club (the old name) unfortunatelty died... :(
    I would LOVE to go back, miss it! The only issue is my knee. My lunging knee is my bad knee... I think fencing started the whole process of my knee damage... that and being almost 40 pounds heavier! So I would love to go, but don't know if I could. :(
    There used to be a Kendo studio in town, but they are no longer where they were. I don't know if they closed permanently or just moved to a new location... I believe they are gone. :(

25. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    I've never been able to eat salads. Just never been able to successfully eat lettuce. Weird.

But I'm trying to make sure I hit the gym on a consistent basis to help make up for that.

Got another 535 calories burned last night on the elliptical. I believe that makes 2576 for the week thus far.

26. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Man, saber rehearsals really are a great exercise. I was glad I was able to make it again this week. :)

Hit the gym again today. Started my week off with 1000 calories burned. I'm going to try to see if I can get to 3000 this week.

27. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Keep it up BP! Remember persistence conquers all.......

28. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    I almost didn't go today. But then I pulled up the Museum Replicas page just to look at that Luke costume some more. :)

29. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Bought some Propel last night to keep near my desk at work. Hopefully this will help keep me from grabbing a pop out of the vending machine.

30. starwarsarmboy

starwarsarmboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 9, 2002
    I'm part of my "Live Well" team at my work. We got free pedometer and other stuff, so far today I walked 16509 steps. . So now I'm going to start working out again...look out world, here comes a lean and mean Jay [face_cowboy]

31. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005

Good Luck Brotha!

32. BPStoyle

Jan 5, 2010
    Awesome, Jay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.