main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Original CCG online gaming project

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Anonymous_Jedi, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Ok, so there have been a few attempts at a online playable SWCCG, and none of them (to my knowledge) have ever been completed. So I'm going to try to change that, I have some plans in mind for it, but I will need some help (no programming experiance required.) I am looking for older forum members (those that I know and (no offense to others) can trust) to help me, what will need to be done is this:

[*]Cards will need to be added to the database.
    [*]Keeping the database up to date with Virtual cards.
    [*]Adding user made cards/sets for users to have the option to play with.

More help will be needed if it becomes popular.

It would be built to seem like real-time (in an Flash projector) but would be in actualality loading a PHP script and using a database, simply checking variables to see what's happening. I still have to figure out how I'm going to do a few things (like responses in the middle of the game) but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Also, I have a question: Would I be able to use the card images or not? I was told earlier that they couldn't be used due to legal issues, has this change now that the don't have the license any more, or what?

Is there any interest in this before I spend a lot of time on it?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Would this end up being mac compatible by any chance?

3. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Yes, Flash supports hqx output, so yes, you would be able to run it on mac if I can pull this off.

4. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    Question is I suppose will it run in Virtual PC?

Restrainingbolt

5. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I already said it'd run on mac, so no need to worry about virtual PC, but I would suppose it'd run on that if you wish.

It's not done yet, nor started, I'm still trying to figure out how to do somethings.

6. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Legally I don't think you can do this. The images are copyrighted by Lucasfilm and Decipher, and the game text is copyrighted by Decipher.

7. Obi-Ron42

Obi-Ron42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Well I won't tell if you don't!

8. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Well the images I was pretty sure I couldn't, but the text too? Other programs have done it and said that they are including the images b/c of legality, to me that would mean they were using the text legally :-\

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think you'd have a problem with text-only cards...there are numerous card search utility websites and card organizer programs using the gametext and they've never really run into any problems.

I'd personally love to see the card images, but if you want to play it safe, i'd go text-only.

10. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I'm beggining to really wonder if this could even be done, I can't imagine how I'd get the thing to know the rules, and how the cards work, etc.

EDIT:
    "said that they are including the images b/c of legality, to me that would mean they were using the text legally :-\ "

I meant that they aren't including the images, not that they are.

11. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Some guy made a great online LotR prioduct, but Decipher stopped him. A pity, it was a great program that "knew" the rules and everything.

12. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Don't you think that Decipher might actually have something for LOTR's in the works? They did it for Star Trek. I believe they requested an online product for Star Wars before loosing the license. Not sure, but I do believe I read that somewhere.

R'Bolt

13. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I had to dig pretty deep into decipher to get this one:

Official News Release

notice the:...With exclusive, worldwide rights to produce trading card games and digital trading card games....

My opinion is that the only reason they stopped master craftsman was that they WERE, and still are developing an online tcg for LotR.

As for the card images, they NEVER had a problem with cardtable, which is IMHO okay (I just don't like having to list IP addresses and such), so I doubt they'd stop you for card images. Lucasfilm has no problem with people using their copywritten material for non-profit purposes(just go over to the fanfilms board). Decipher, though still owns the card template.

But what you would mainly want to concern yourself with, is that they still own the "intellectual property" of the game.

Now, I personally think that you should go ahead and try it. The main thing I'd want to suggest is something that ALL online games should have. A matchmaking service. Heck, if cardtable had that, I'd certainly play it a lot more. Just cut out the IP addresses, and incorporate matchmaking into the program, and it just might take off.

14. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    A matchmaking service wouldn't be hard to make, it's the matter of having the servers to host the games on. The way I am planning on making this would require a server, it would not be direct connect, this would allow for match making within the server your on. You would have to manually add servers to the list. I am still unsure on how to make it "know" the rules other than to make my own "mini" language for the game text and have PHP be the interperator.. even then, that would still be difficult.

15. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Curious when you plan on beginning this project or have you given it second thoughts? Would be neat to have a real option for playing CCG online.

R'bolt

16. Redldr12

Redldr12 Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    An online game for SWCCG is a very good idea

17. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    "Curious when you plan on beginning this project or have you given it second thoughts? Would be neat to have a real option for playing CCG online."

Well, I have given it second thoughts, unfortunatley, looking at it now makes me realize that it's over my head :-\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.