main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm guessing sets and "OMG I'm soo happy" are the only things they are allowed to talk about now

2. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    The highest grossing film of all time and box office benchmark depended on CG. Maybe that?

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999

Not likely. He is talking about Star Wars, in which it's last set of films were widely criticized for overusing CG and blue screen sets. No doubt in my mind, that is what he is getting at.

Wish he would say something more along the lines of what someone like John Williams said, when he stated that he was honored to be apart of continuing George Lucas' great odyssey. This nonsense of these actors and crew members continually taking subtle jabs at the prequels and their "overuse" of CGI gets tiring to hear. It's kind of a turn off to me too.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He should bash it.

5. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999

Or not.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But we need one Negative Nancy!

7. Lady Warp Spasm

Lady Warp Spasm Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2015
    ^ LOL...

you're not sick of all the Negative Normans and Nancys here?!? ( I know, you kid...)

8. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I think they're also allowed to talk about the amazingness of everything.

9. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

You base this on what?

Issac has never said anything derogatory about Lucas or the Prequels. He stated in an interview that he didn't like the changes of the OT Special Editions but also said it was Lucas' right as an wrist to what he wanted with his creation.

Which actors and crew members are "taking subtle jabs at the prequels and their "overuse" of CGI" ?

All of that is coming from other sources like this forum and other media sites.

I heard that Anthony Daniels has supposed passed such comments, but I haven't seen the interview so I don't know what was said, however Issac's excitement about the ST and his love of Star Wars is clear in everything he has said.

Nothing in that is belittling of Lucas or CGI. He just said that it was amazing to see what was done on the TFA sets.

10. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    I am not saying he said anything derogatory. I am saying it is a subtle jab in an indirect way. If you don't feel like he is aiming those comments at the prequels, then what else would he be referring to?

Also, he wasn't just marveling at the sets. It was him making a comment like, "there were actual REAL AND TACTILE sets". That is another way of saying "finally after the last ones they are doing it right." No other way around that. It is a jab no matter which way you slice it, whether it was mean spirited or just a benign opinion. It is what it is.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    If he isn't saying anything derogatory, then what are these "subtle jabs" supposed to be about?

When you have a "jab" (or a go) at someone, you are being derogatory, mean and you are belittling them.

There is none of this in what Issac said.

Sounds to me like Issac was "just marvelling at the sets" and was praising the people and creativity of TFA and you are using this to put words in his mouth.

Saying nice things about a project you work on is not automatically belittling the past work of others. Issac said nothing bad about the Prequels, Avatar, Transformers, etc. in this article. All he did was say "they actual built such-and-such (for example the Falcon) and it isn't all computer generated".

Where is the mean spiritedness?

What is work with saying that the Original Trilogy is awesome and Lucas didn't need to tinker with it, but, that it is all cool because he can do it whatever way he likes?

I would have preferred if TPM had started with Threepio and Artoo having been together for years already, but Lucas thought different, so whatever...

Am I mean spirited?

12. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    A subtle indirect jab is when someone makes a comment that is NOT directly or obviously bashing something directly by directly stating it. They could say something positive about something else in a way that also implies (in a subtle way) their negative opinion about the subject they are jabbing at without actually saying it. You obviously don't know much about this sort of thing if you think one has to be derogatory in a very direct sense in order to throw a subtle indirect jab at something or someone.

Also, I never said he was being mean spirited about it like Simon Pegg is when he rips the prequels. I said I have no way or knowing if his intention was mean spirited or just a benign distaste of the prequels. One can certainly dislike the prequels and not be mean spirited in their approach to displaying their distaste for them. I would likely bet that he isn't trying to be mean spirited about it, but he certainly has made it a point to continually state this in interview after interview, which would certainly seem to be a pattern.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Well, there is a not so subtle jab right there. [face_plain]

Issac stated an opinion on this one project in that article. He praised people he worked with for constructing wonderful environments - all he did was say that those sets were real, not CGI.

There is nothing subtle about that one way or the other. He said nothing bad about CG FX. Nothing. No snide remark. No nudge nudge, wink wink.

If a person has a preference for one thing as opposed to another, they are perfectly entitled to say at will or when asked.

The fact is that Issac made no "jab" at CGI or it's artists. He praised the practical sets, etc. and once he seen the CGI work on the film, he will have something to say about that too. It is possible that the man has no opinion on the CG FX because he hasn't seen them yet.

What is this "pattern" in "interview after interview"? Can you post links to a few?

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  15. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Jab or not, the fact is there's a lot of scenes where the actors were working with fully green screen rooms.

People try to act like the OT had just as much green screen when it's just not true. Are you trying to imply you know more than people working on the movies? People like Anthony Daniels has said the same thing, you are saying you know that the PT has just as much actual sets when actors from both series have made comments to suggest otherwise?

This isn't a PT or OT thing this is a person who is saying it's great to have a lot of scenes with actual sets. It could be a jab but whatever, he's not wrong. As an actor it's much better to work with actual sets than big green screen rooms.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    starocean90 likes this.
  17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, I don't think thats going to happen. Perhaps Finn becomes a pilot in between films? I guess thats possible. There is nothing it seem to be indicating that those X-wings are two seaters.

Perhaps, there was early concept art that played with the idea...

18. Lady Warp Spasm

Feb 19, 2015
  19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, that Oscar Isaac article didn't even mention the prequels specifically. There was no bashing. He was simply saying he liked that there were lots of actual sets.

I am excited to see how the CG will look mixed with actual sets/models. But just like how there's lots of people that don't realize how many props, sets and models are used in the PT, I think some people are a bit misinformed in their assumptions of just how much will be real and how much will be animated in this one. I think that people will see much more CG in TFA than they are seemingly expecting. I know there will be many more tactile props/sets than we've seen before, but there will still be lots of CG. JJ said so himself.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  20. Sheev

Sheev Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2014
    Poe's X-Wing: 3 times faster than the usual X-Wing? :p

21. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    It's Isaac's opinion and shared by a lot of people. Why is he not allowed that?

Danfromumbrella likes this.
  22. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    He's entitled to state his opinion and it's not a bad opinion to have.

Imo of course ;)

23. Lady Warp Spasm

Feb 19, 2015
    And because these folks are in a movie which continues from the OT trilogy forward, I would expect them to be excited for that.

I just ignore the PT slandering, I like and / love many aspects of it and I dislike some too. I respect that there are lots of fans who love those movies. And that's great.

My personal taste, I never found an entire series of movies perfect. I'd like to talk about the positive, not the negative. And the great thing about Star Wars there really is something for everybody.

24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Who are you directing this at? You haven't quoted or tagged.

That isn't the issue. Luukeskywalker believes that Issac was making negative comments about Lucas and the Prequels by how he said what he said.

However, Issac was simply praising TFA and it's crew by say the really built some of these things and that it isn't VFX.

My point is that Issac can only comment on what he has seen. So far he has seen the sets and practical make up and I'm sure once he has seen enough of the digital elements to form an opinion then he will comment on those too.

Issac obviously has no issue with CGI, he has signed on for X-Men and his character is half digital, by all accounts.

25. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Had Isaac said "the sets were great. They were massive and true to Star Wars and I had goosebumps when I walked on set", then you would have a point.

But his comment was, "there were actual real and tactile sets on this picture", as if to say that hasn't always been the case with this franchise. Of course it's talk to promote the film and instill confidence in the fans who might be jaded.

Come on, I wasn't born yesterday and neither were you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.