main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ot lines with new meanings...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Orgasmatron, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orgasmatron

Orgasmatron Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2003
    "Everything that had transpired has done so according to my design!"

This line takes on much greater significance after viewing the new films. Are there any other lines you can think of that have the same effect?

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Not so much lines that Ben says, but just the way he says them. That distant look of regret he has. That sense of longing for something gone. Alec set it up so perfectly for a backstory for the character, and Ewan has perfectly fullfilled that. Obi-Wan's sadness and character in the OT just seems to be even more deep to me now.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    When Leia talks about her mother in RTOJ. think it went like she was beautiful but sad. Not much of a new meaning but now with the PT you get to see what Leia really means when she says that.

4. rayblueline

rayblueline Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2003
    When Leia talks about her mother in RTOJ. think it went like she was beautiful but sad. Not much of a new meaning but now with the PT you get to see what Leia really means when she says that.

Lucas was a genius to forsee in '83 that Portman would barely be able to contain her misery on the set.

5. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Yoda's "old friends long gone" or his urging Luke to not rescue Han and Leia
    "Thank the maker!"

The Vader-Ben duel on the Death Star feels a lot more tragic now.

6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Beru: "He has too much of his father in him."

Owen: "That's what I'm afraid of."

Now if Lucas didn't originally plan to have Vader as Luke's father, that line is really spooky. Even more so now because of the PT.

7. Darth_Ebriated

Darth_Ebriated Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2002
    Yoda: "Do not underestimate the powers of the Emporer"

8. EU-King

EU-King Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2003
    I have you now

that has a new meanning to it now lol!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

9. suineme

suineme Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldnt allow it.

Obviously we haven't seen episode 3, but I would suspect that it suggests that at some point, Anakin was someone who was excited about the idea of having a son. It sounds stupid to say, but I think it reminds the audience that he wasnt always such a bad guy.

And of course there was a "and he was a good friend", line. I must say Sir Alec Guinness did one heck of a job- especially when you consider the frustration he had with Lucas. I think the credibility of the whole movie franchise rests on how he handles the role of Obi Wan Kenobi. I mean, was he told by Lucas to briefly pause before answering the question "how did my father die?" My guess is no. He was so introspective in that role- it really is amazing to watch. If anyone else had played that role, or if Alec chose to play it another way, Obi Wan would have just looked like a damn liar and we would have all felt duped.

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Thank the maker!
    When C3PO said that as Anakin, it really sunk in that all those times he says it in OT, he's actually talking bout DARTH VADER!

Or as Anthony Daniels said, "could you imaging the theropy bills? I mean,Darth Vader...my Father! OH MY!"

The son of Skywalker must not become a JEDI
    I just think this one is interesting because Palpatine is refering to Darth Vader's true identity...as if talking about a completly different person. Whatever Palatien does to turn Anakin to the dark side, he must have felt confident that Vader would never side against him. It also would indicate that Anakin knows he had a child with Padme (and this could play a large part in Episode III)

11. EyeH8EU

EyeH8EU Jedi Master star 3

Sep 30, 2003
    Hey, I started this thread, but I guess my name was a little racy for the site.

"Thank the Maker!"

I about messed myself when you said that.

Good points about Sir Alec. He and Harrison Ford really held the acting credibility together in the series.

12. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Another vote for Leia's lines in ROTJ.

Hearing those words now make it even more poignant especially now that we've gotten to know Padme' so well.

13. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I feel that Ben's speech to Luke about his father, specially the small pause before he tells him that Vader killed Anakin, is incredible now with the PT. Guinness' acting is marvelous, he is a man who knows fully well he is going to lie.

I also love the moment Vader is looking at Palpy eletrocuting Luke. Its full of meaning now that we know that Anakin went to the same thing.

14. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "If you leave now, help them you could but... you would destroy all for what they have fought and suffered."

A nice tie with the Dooku duel in the hangar. :)

15. Darkehelmet8907

Darkehelmet8907 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2003
    "I am a jedi, like my father before me"

16. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    "Oh, no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is you who are mistaken...about a great many things"

17. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    "You may take Captain Solo to Jabba the Hutt after I have Skywalker."

Now we know that Jabba was a familiar figure to Anakin. Did talking about Jabba remind him of Watto and Shmi?

18. EyeH8EU

EyeH8EU Jedi Master star 3

Sep 30, 2003
    Nice one about Jabba.

I love watching the OT and picturing the man inside, and if he remembers the past.

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Me too! Just watch the conference scene in ANH, where Vader chokes Motti and says "I find your lack of faith disturbing".
    If you imagine Anakin doing that, I guarantee you´ll get the creeps!

20. StormtrooperJay

StormtrooperJay Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    Ben telling Luke..."so what said was true. From a certain point of view." If you look at the entire saga, a lot of different theories evolve...from certain points of view!

21. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    The line "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father" will be powerful after EpIII.

22. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "And I am C3PO, human-cyborg relations."

Seeing that it was Anakin who made him, C3PO was literally having relations with a future cyborg ever since the time he was created, yet it was the droids who were more human than the Maker.

23. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    There are alot of things that tie in and I hate to be a bubble buster but remember this?

Yoda says something like this in ESB.

"so full of anger, just like his father"

and Ben says

"and was I any different when you trained me?"

I know that isn't the exact way it was said but its one and the same.

I don't remember any anger in Obi-Wans heart during the PT.... except for when hes about to kill Maul, but Yoda never sees that. Plus Yoda trained Obi when he was a youngster.

24. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Luke's probably thinking of Coruscant, yet the two brightest stars in the universe both began on Tattoine, Anakin and Luke. Palpatine's darkness spread out from the center.

25. BruceWayne1

BruceWayne1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2004
    Great topic, Orgasmatron . .or should I say EyeH8EU?

:-]

Actually, this is probably my favorite topic regarding Star Wars because I love watching the original trilogy and discovering new pleasures and in-depth lines or images that we would have never noticed if not for the Prequels. Since this is my first post ever, I will only post two scenes in A New Hope which ALWAYS seem to add new resonance for me:

1) Think about the scene right before Obi Wan allows Vader to swipe through his own body with his lightsaber and therefore, make him "more powerful than he can possibly imagine". Replay it in your mind: He looks over at the twins (who are running toward the ship as he sees them in the hallway) and then he looks at Vader and gives him this amazing, sly little smile. That smile seems, for me, to signify a great many things . .

It is as if he is saying . ."There are your children, Anakin, and you don't even know it . .and both your children will be the undoing of you and your dreaded Master."

Ah, chills. It is so amazing how everything gets reversed: in the PT there were 2 Sith hiding to bring down the Republic and in the OT there are 2 Jedi hiding to bring down the Empire.

2) The next scene I wish to discuss is not as dramatic but it is necessary in terms of the Star Wars structure as a whole. First of, let's consider that the first half of A New Hope essentially wraps up the Prequels and sets the next three films in motion.

Therefore, the famous (and in my mind pivotal) "The Force will be with you . .Always" scene in which Obi Wan says good-bye to Luke Skywalker for the last time represents, for me, almost the halfway point and a crucial, endearing moment between these two very important characters.

For me, this scene for many years now has always been the "passing of the baton" so to speak, from one hero to the next. When Kenobi punctuates, "Your destiny lies along a different path then mine" . .it is as if he is saying "I was the hero of the Prequel Trilogy and Luke, you are the hero of the next Trilogy . .and you must carry the torch now."

We know that Kenobi has to face his old student and set the next three films in motion. . .and we know he must die. This scene now resonates so much more for me because of the mere fact that Kenobi's tragic character, for many, is at the forefront of the Prequels and that the son of Skywalker is the designated hero of the Classic Trilogy.

Okay . .I will bore you all no longer. But I have many, many more scenes to discuss in the future.

First post ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.