main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V OT young reader adaptations by Alexandra Bracken, Adam Gidwitz, and Tom Angleburger

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jun 6, 2015.

1. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Ah! That's what I was wondering. I didn't realize Tion etc. had made it in. Now I'm even more interested in this.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I never said Tion has made it into Barcken's book, though! I was just giving example of things that were in the radio drama. That being said, I'm eager to discover what elements she was allowed to use.

3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Sorry. I guess I should have worded my initial post better. I'm a huge fan of the Radio Drama, so the prospect of seeing elements from it canonized is pretty exciting.

LelalMekha likes this.
  4. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I know, right? :)

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  5. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    How is my man Sheev treated in the ROTJ adaptation?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sadly I don't have a review copy and he wasn't in any of the excerpts I found, so I couldn't tell you. I do know that Angleburger specifically said we'd get more Jerjerrod than we'd ever wanted, though! (To which I'd reply, I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit!)

In a different interview, she said that Michael Siglain (head of Disney Publishing) told her that the two sources they consider canon were the script and the radio drama. I wouldn't take that literally, but canon was her word. She later went on to specify she was told she could freely adapt from either with only minimal changes suggested to her (though she also had liberty to make her own changes to stuff from Daley she disagreed with or wanted to change, like the example of datatapes sounding dated or with Luke not being sensitive to Leia when he was crying about Kenobi's death).

She also added she used as much EU as she could as part of her "own little rebellion," which is wonderful.

There's no mention to Tion explicitly, but there's an off-hand reference to the battle in the beginning of ANH not even being the first battle she'd had that week or month or something.

There's a lot from the radio drama, including -- and this is my favorite part -- the prologue and epilogue adopting the grand mythical tone of the Journal of the Whills (from the novel) and the intro to each radio drama episodes. I eat up that kind of lofty tone so I was glad to know that it was by design, though it was pretty clear she was channeling that stuff.

I have to admit that despite quoting the RD about Alderaan a lot, I hadn't ever heard it until the recent Humble sale. I loved the RD and I'm glad it's getting a comeback as well as novel references (Jason Fry directly adapted from it too, in Weapon of a Jedi). My only complaint about the RD is that it makes the Empire come across as really icky and evil, nigh unworthy of any support at all. :p :p

That's silly of course. Clearly it is in-universe propaganda -- Voren's fanfic, let's say. 8-}

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Xammer and B3 like this.
  7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Gotta love that woman! Can we keep her? Pleeeaaaase, Father, say yes!

Xammer likes this.
  8. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Cool interview, it's awesome that Alex is such a big Star Wars fan! These books are all on order at my library so I'll definitely at least check out the ANH one.

Xammer likes this.
  9. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    Looks like they are trying to get the young kids excited for TFA. Wonder if they will make PT young reader adaptations.

10. JediMasterAang

JediMasterAang Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2015
    I think at Celebration or something they said that there weren't any plans, but if these are well recieved they would easily consider doing them.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Mine just arrived in the mail at my office. I've only flipped through the ROTJ one so far. I was bummed that they didn't add any details to the Battle of Endor (or very, very few new ones), plus the descriptions of the battle are essentially the scenes we see in the movie.

However, Mon Mothma gets some interesting scenes and we learn about her background and POV.

Endor has some errors. They refer to the SSD as the "Eclipe" not the "Executor" and the Imperial fleet has "ten, eleven, maybe more" Star Destroyers, which doesn't match what is shown on screen.

I'll read all three, but don't expect the level of detail from the original Novelizations. HOWEVER, they add some new scenes to canon that are very interesting (Mon Mothma trying to talk Leia out of the Endor mission) so they get points for that.

--Adm. Nick

Darth Zack likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the Executor was never actually named onscreen - might this be a sign of an upcoming retcon?

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm gonna say no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xammer likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I certainly hope it isn't, at least.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Good man!

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not likely. Executor features heavily in Lost Stars. Probably just an oopsie.

"Maybe more" is a great escape hatch -- Lost Stars describes thousands of ships at Endor.

There are three things I'm looking out for in ROTJ: Jerjerrod is supposed to have more scenes, the Ewoks are supposed to be vicious (it's possible they can be MORE vicious?!), and Mothma and Leia have that conversation so that ROTJ passes the Bechdel test.

17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    They'll ask to change the name of the Endor SSD.

And I'll whisper, "no."

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It's bad enough that some one on the Wookiee has decided the Annihilator at Endor is the SSD from the Vader comics...

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Those bastards...

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Leia & Mon Mothma scene passes the Bechdel test. We do learn more about Jerjerrod too. I haven't looked closely at the Ewok parts yet.

--Adm. Nick

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Does the ANH one say anything about Jawas, Sandpeople, or the Massassi Temple?

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    One addition to canon I wholeheartedly approve of.

"All craft, prepare to make the jump to hyperspace on my mark. For the Rebellion... and for the Republic...now!"

Ackbar just got that much more badass. Lots of references to how the Rebels are fighting for a restored/new Republic, which makes me happy. :D

--Adm. Nick

23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm sorry, but this is not true. It is Lost Stars that mentioned an Annihilator at the Battle of Endor, and it's not mentioned on WP that the two are one and the same. On the contrary, the Annihilator from Lost Stars is assumed to be a regular ISD.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if the two were one and the same - they could be reconciled with the old "Super Star Destroyer term covers a wide range of battlecruisers and dreadnoughts" explanation. The Annihilator hasn't been seen from the outside in the Vader comics, after all - it might not be Executor-class.

25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I was just making a Rorschach joke. Don't really care what it's called.