Amph Paranormal Activity (original, sequels & spin-offs)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Point Given, Oct 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Saw had a complicated mythology. PA started off with bare bones backstory and has slowly been building one (though not one as tightly woven as Saw's was, since it deals with far fewer characters), but I think they made things a bit convoluted this time around without explaining enough.

Show Spoiler
    (such as which child is really Hunter or if Hunter is just a common possessing spirit, and if so, where'd the other kid come from and how'd Katie lose him? If Toby is possessing Katie, how could he be in the house also?)

Sequels do tend to go down in quality (Saw 5 was the low point for that franchise, though I felt 6 recovered nicely and 7 went a bit sideways). I think in the case of PA4, they just didn't innovate enough this time around and played it safe. There was nothing as innovative or world-building in 4 as the oscillating fan and coven backstory in 3.

They need to shake things up a bit for the next film and either find a new direction to take events or start building towards a conclusion. I think the obvious choice would be to focus a film on the person (or persons) actually reviewing the found footage from these families and connecting the dots- perhaps even using what they've learned from these videos to combat/confront the witches/demons (ie: observation attracts/empowers Toby, IR lights can detect Toby, physical objects like doors can obstruct Toby- so it is possible to contain Toby, and crosses seem to repel or cause those he possesses pain- so it's possible to harm Toby). Take a sort of Dream Warriors approach so far as turning the tables go, and make it feel like the experiences of the prior films were about something more than just audience scares.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Oct 22, 2012
    Barbecue17 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Now it seems they'll be releasing the Latin spin-off (teased in 4's stinger) in January 2014 instead. That has been given a title now as well: "Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones". Paranormal Activity 5 will then hit afterwards in October 2014.
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Caught The Marked Ones last night and, overall, it was better than I had expected (I had lowered expectations in, of course). Though still found footage in style, this one is much more of a traditional horror film than the other PA films- it breaks format with its kin and is far more overt in supernatural acts.

Oddly enough as a result it's not as scary, though still an improvement over the lackluster PA4.

Much more surprising is the fact that this movie actually gives us a lot of answers about what's been happening in these films (while still raising new questions, of course). I did not expect that to happen in the "Latino spin-off" as opposed to the core numbered films- a welcome surprise, for sure, as it gives it stronger ties to the other films and not just a side experiment.

Will be interesting to see if PA5 picks up any threads from here.
    Barbecue17 likes this.
  5. Barbecue17 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    OK, so you mentioned that Toby was explained in the Marked Ones in the other thread? I think I might have missed that. I got that the witches were using the possessed boys once they became 18 in order to create an army and that the coven has the opportunity to cross time and space through the door.

I like your comments about a future film entering "The Dream Warriors" territory. I would love to see some of the surviving characters take on this evil at some point.
    Last edited by Barbecue17, Jan 7, 2014
  6. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I would like a conclusion to this series goddammit. 3 was relentlessly terrifying, but at the end, I was like "oh great we're going to get 8 more of these and a 3D reboot".
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    This is the first time we've heard about them making an army of males/Marked Ones/demons, though.

As for Toby's origin, I could be wrong but I believe it's being suggested here that Jesse (or another Marked One like him) was Toby, traveling from 2012 through the gateway to the unholy places of the prior films, rendered invisible by the process- as Hector seemingly was here.

Additionally, the director & producer have revealed that there is an end game for this series:

Now, 'Marked Ones' director Christopher Landon tells Slashfilm that he, director/producer Oren Peli, producer Jason Blum and various others involved in the franchise have settled on an "ultimate ending" for the series when that happens. The catch? It's a few movies away.
    Landon calls 'Marked Ones' part of a bigger piece of the mythology and that it's trying to "tee up" things that are coming, especially in the fifth film. He then went on to say:
    "We've always been looking ahead. I'll say this much. There is a very specific end goal and I'm hoping we have enough time in the franchise to get there.
    We have a really big idea that's at the finish line but we need time to get there. So we're hoping the fans keep coming back and allow us to get them there."
    Landon went on to say hints of that ultimate ending are laid down in the first film, but it wasn't until they started making the second that the "crazy ideas" began to be bandied about. However in the fourth film they got a bit lost so 'Marked' tries to get things back on track.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jan 7, 2014
  8. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Lol. I like the bizarre mix of naturalism and lunacy.

"You thought it was a demon? You silly superstitious person. It was actually an invisible time-traveler. . .possessed by a demon."
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It is a much more out-there twist on things than one would have anticipated, ha. On the upside, PA4 had some chronology issues with the demon, so the whole time travel thing opens a potential loophole in addressing those concerns.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jan 7, 2014