main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT "Pass on what you have learned." An alternate interpretation.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Binary_Sunset, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Yoda's last three sentences were: "Luke...the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned. Luke...there...is...another...Sky...walker."

The first of those sentences talks about the Skywalker family. The third refers specifically to Leia. The second sentence can naturally be understood to be talking about the same subject as the third sentence (that is, Leia). In other words, "Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned to Leia, who is also a Skywalker."

In this interpretation, Yoda is not telling Luke to train a whole bunch of Jedi. He is instead telling Luke to train only Leia. Why? To help him confront and defeat Vader and the Emperor.

Thoughts?

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    We all do know that grammar isn't Yoda's strongest suit, but I admit that the chronology of these three sentences is somewhat ambiguous.

Had it been a) The Force runs strong in your family b) There is another Skywalker and c) Pass on what you have learned, I agree it would probably point exclusively to Leia.

But let's not forget that before these three sentences Yoda also says "when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be." Add "Pass on what you have learned" and I remain certain that Yoda wanted Luke to train and educate a new generation of Jedi, but - undoubtedly - with Leia being first.

Admittedly the confusing part (IMHO) is whether Yoda and Obi-Wan knew that the confrontation between Luke and Vader and the Emperor was imminent (and that therefore Luke would first be able to train Leia).

Little does Luke know that the GALACTIC EMPIRE
    has secretly begun construction on a new armored space station even
    more powerful than the first dreaded Death Star.

LUKE I'll meet you back at the fleet.

LEIA (over comlink)
    Hurry. The Alliance should be assembled by now.

LUKE I will.

It's inconconclusive whether Leia knows what the Alliance assemby is about (attacking the second Death Star) and whether she told Luke.

whostheBossk and Benoda like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. Because Leia is right there where Luke can find her, she would be his first Padawan Learner. Afterwards, he would train other potential Jedi. Now, did Yoda intend for the two of them to face Vader and Sidious? Not at that point. This is why Yoda and Obi-wan are insistent that Luke face Vader again and not train someone else first. Nor is he a Jedi yet, which means that he's not fully ready to train Leia, when he himself is not ready.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    er....no he's not telling him to only train Skywalkers.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    The way The Last Jedi ends, I wonder if Luke didn't pass on more to Leia than we realized. Or at least that was the orignal idea for Episode 9.

whostheBossk and Avnar like this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'd say undoubtedly. At the end of ROJ Leia does know that she, too, posesses this power. Just because she's mentally stable and organized, doesn't imply that there would never be a situation where she might be tempted by the Dark Side. I'm very confident that Luke passed on at least the essential training.

(P.S. Interesting avatar. My daughter is currently crazy about Disney's Robin Hood, I have to read her the childrens book every night)

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That brings up an interesting point. If Luke trained Leia, he might have had other individual apprentices before starting a new Jedi Temple. Luke might not have been the only teacher there.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
  9. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    One of the new canon books reveals Yoda believed Leia to be more likely to be the Jedi's savior than Luke.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's based on how Yoda said that Luke wasn't ready to Obi-wan. The book just explicitly stated it.

11. Tremblingblustar

Tremblingblustar Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2018
    Better question would be why wouldn't he tell Luke straight out that "Leia is also a Skywalker" instead of leaving it to chance that Luke just happens to stumble upon Obi-Wan and he explains everything. Given that Yoda had issues with Luke being too old to train in Empire, I'm not sure why he'd think Leia would be a good candidate. He did tell Obi-Wan in Empire that "there is another" when discussing Luke being their last hope, but that was written before they decided that Luke and Leia were siblings, and Lucas apparently had plans for Luke to search for another Jedi to train in a second trilogy.

Which one? I only ask so I can avoid reading it, because that sounds kinda dumb, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Be very careful with that comment.........

@anakinfansince1983

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Personally it makes sense to me that Yoda would be saying "pass on what you have learned" to other Jedi-in-training in general, rather than specifically Leia. Makes sense after hearing him say Luke is the last Jedi. If we still are wondering, we could always look to his words in TLJ: "Heeded my words, you did not: Pass on what you have learned." Yoda was not talking about Leia there.​

14. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    What might have happened if both Luke and Leia trained with Yoda during ESB? While there was a danger that both could be discovered by the Empire it seems that Yoda had chosen his place of exile well.

Leia may have very well been able to convince Luke to complete his training and worked as a team to bring down Vader and Palpitine and to have provided a better depth of training for the new Jedi.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda is saying the same thing that he heard himself say, over twenty years ago. He's basically fulfilling a self-fulling prophecy. That's why he leaves it to Obi-wan.But as to Leia being a Jedi over Luke, that's obvious.

YODA: "Ready, are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained! A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away...to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh! Excitement. Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless!"

Leis is more disciplined than Luke was when it came to taking her responsibilities to her family, to the Senate and to the Alliance. Her only draw back being her anger when it came to people like Han, who irritated her. Luke, on the other hand, lacked patience and had an air of arrogance about him, which had worsened over time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    It’s in the From a Certain Point of View ANH book and it’s not dumb.

PadawanGussin likes this.
  17. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Maybe Yoda meant pass on what you learn as in, when someone tries to get you to do something like say, "Hey, lets put sweaty gym socks in Yoda's stew", and you say, "pass" to indicate you don't want to do it.

18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I always thought he meant to pass his teachings to other pupils, which Luke *tried* to do with Kylo but failed. He then attempted it again with Rey and he...kind of succeeded, to which Yoda had to come in and bop him on the head with “failure is the greatest teacher” thing.

19. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    As far back as the PT we see Yoda having become concerned that the Jedi had become too overconfident. He also saw how the mishandling of Anakin and how a somewhat muddy ancient prophecy lead to the downfall of the entire Jedi Order Then in ANH and ESB we see the entire focus of Yoda and Obi Wan on Luke and to a leaser extent Leia. Yoda and Obi Wan both preached to Luke on how "a Jedi Knight with the Force as his ally will conquer Vader and his Emperor.". And on his deathbed Yoda focuses on "another Skywalker" as his very last words.

OMP -

Yoda had wanted to institute a Jedi version of the Sith rule of two but this got short circuited when Luke flew off to Cloud City before his training was complete. Before Luke was able to return Yoda became too sick to complete Luke's training. When Luke did return Yoda again got sidetracked with Luke demanding answers about his father. Yoda simply died before he could pass on his plan to Luke to have a very few Jedi starting with Leia to avoid the events of the PT repeating themselves.

At this point Qui Gon, Obi Wan and Yoda were the only Force ghosts and still trying to figure out what they could and could not do in relation to the physical world. So Obi Wan did the best he could to calm Luke down and focus on the immediate crisis namely the defeat of Vader and Palpatine..

By the time the Force Ghosts completed their training Luke had already established and lost his academy and Ben Solo. Lea, despite having some training was no longer a viable option to becoming a full Jedi so the Force Ghosts created Rey and gave her tremendous latent abilities that would be unlocked when the time was right.

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The Force ghosts created Rey?
    That’s an interesting take on it!

whostheBossk likes this.