main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Patriots 2003 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Hood, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Eagles Fan here. What is a Super Bowl? I thought there was only one back in the 80's.

Good luck on the 1st.

2. TricksterGoddess11

TricksterGoddess11 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 11, 2003
    :grumbles and shakes head: MEN....

3. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    So is this where Panthers fans come for good-natured trash-talk and a little fun for the next couple of weeks?

practice what you preach.Like you said Good natured trash talk ;)

If you think the Colts are playing for personal stats, then you obviously need to air out your room before you pass out from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Did I mention Indy by name? No, I didnt think so.But I do agree with you that they did have a chance to come back and win in the second half. But they didnt so I guess that arguement is moot right now ;)

4. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    The Patriots no more play as a team than the Colts do, they just played better as a team that day compounded by our team coming out flat.

That's it. The Colts were flat. The Patriots didn't come out and smack them in the mouth all day and take the fight out of them. Let me guess, the Patriots had the Ref's giving them the calls all day as well. They were holding and taking cheap shots too.

Sounds an awful lot like what we heard from St. Louis a few years ago.

Edit: Let's not forget that if Christian Fauria didn't drop two TD passes we would have blown the Colts doors off.

5. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Sounds an awful lot like what we heard from St. Louis a few years ago.

Agreed ;)

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
  7. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Remember two years ago in the Superbowl when the Pats decided to be announced as a team rather than as individual players? I'll bet they do that again and make it a Pats tradition. I thought it showed a lot of class to do that two years ago.

8. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I remember that very well. When they came out like that I turned to my buddy Matt and said,"The Ram's don't have a prayer".

9. Alderaan_Viceroy

Alderaan_Viceroy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2004

You beat the Rams by a stinkin' field goal. You did not blow them out. Remember that the 2003 Panthers are a mirror image of the 2001 Patriots. You must know that the Panthers were not supposed to beat The Cowgirls, Lambs, or Eagles either. They, not you are the team of destiny this year. Enjoy your AFC Title.

10. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    Them's fightin' words! ;)

11. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    practice what you preach.Like you said Good natured trash talk

You do not find my trash talk good natured? I have nothing but love for the Patriots. I used to have an astonishing Steve Grogan card collection.

I just think if anybody should have an appreciation for the underdogs in the Super Bowl, it's Patriot fans. It's just weird that suddenly this Patriots team is supposedly so much better than the one from two years ago, that it is somehow preordained that the title is theirs. Other than an improved defense and some experience under Brady's belt, I don't see a huge difference.

12. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Personally, the fact that the Panthers beat the Eagles (which honestly surprised me, after the trouble they had putting the Packers away) wa a bit of a wake-up call. Carolina has an excellent defense, and Stephen Davis gives their offense some respectability.

That being said, I think the Pats are superior. A lot depends on how healthy Davis is. If he's good to go, it'll be close. If he's hurting, I see the Pats in a blowout.

13. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    You beat the Rams by a stinkin' field goal. You did not blow them out.

Actually the Pats were man-handling the Rams throughout the entire 1st half. The only reason the Rams were able to catch up was due to a couple of big pass plays and a handfull of mindless (and painfull) penalties on behalf of the Pats late in the 3rd and during the 4th QTR's. If McGinnest didn't hold that Rams lineman, there never would have been a need for that kick, the game would have ended right there with Law's INT!

14. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Did I mention Indy by name? No, I didnt think so.

Sorry, somehow I must of misinterpreted the following:
    (quoting Jedi_Outcast77): Deion, Dan, and Boomer did go with the Pats and gave more praise to them as a team of great players than they gave to Peyton as one player.

Thats because the Pats play as a team. Not like other in the league who are only playing for themselves and their stats.

:p :p

"That's it. The Colts were flat. The Patriots didn't come out and smack them in the mouth all day and take the fight out of them. Let me guess, the Patriots had the Ref's giving them the calls all day as well. They were holding and taking cheap shots too."

Have I said anything but praise for the way you guys played? I'm mad because the Colts didn't play like they had been playing for the previous 3 weeks. They pulled the same flatline performance against Denver a few weeks back, but I was expecting that it was left in the past. The Patriots punched them in the mouth, played their game like they've been doing, we didn't punch you back.

And me, blaming refs? Puuuulllllease. I've been to football/basketball games where the only reasonable explanation for the poor calls is utter stupidity or Network Television Rating Conspiracies, and that wasn't it. I didn't even hear a murmur of complaints about refs until I got home and everyone who watched it on t.v. started yammering for something to point fingers at. You guys played great, we played poorly, and that's that, until next year anyway.

Now it's time to switch gears...I've got some Pacers basketball to watch.

15. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    I see the Pats in a blowout.

I don't understand how anyone thinks the Patriots will blow out the Panthers, with a healthy or unhealthy Davis. The strength of the Pats is the defense, the offense is hardly worthy of blowout status. The Panthers and Pats were actually neck and neck in total offense during the regular season (and I can think of only twice where I'd qualify a Panthers win as a blowout this year). And while I think Brady is a great QB, a lot of his stats are inflated because NE doesn't really have a running attack so they run a bunch of short passes out of the backfield. Plus, it's not like the Pats are going against a bad defense. Once again, the Pats and Panthers were virtually identical in team defense stats for the regular season. The only thing that really leans in the Pats favor is that they've been there before and while it's nice, it's hardly a reason to assume a win, let alone a blowout.

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    The strength of the Pats is the defense, the offense is hardly worthy of blowout status.

Lets think about what you just said for a second there Dal--Intrepid. Mull over these numbers and you tell me if the Pats are capable of blowing out the Pathers.

The Pats had 9 out of 16 wins that they won by 7 points or more. The Panthers had only 4 out of 17 wins that they won by 7 points or more.

The Pats scored 30+ points in a game 5 times this season. The Panthers scored 30+ points in a game 1 time this season.

Think about it :D.

17. Alderaan_Viceroy

Jan 13, 2004
    I would like to remind you Pats fans that you have your only Super Bowl Title thanks to maybe THE WORST officiating call in the history of the NFL. The Raiders should have won that game.

18. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Yeah. Good thing that check cleared 8-}

Hey. Leave us alone. The pats are the only team we have right now that we can brag about 8-}

Remember two years ago in the Superbowl when the Pats decided to be announced as a team rather than as individual players? I'll bet they do that again and make it a Pats tradition. I thought it showed a lot of class to do that two years ago.

I also remamber that the league fined them for it to. How freakin' pathetic.

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I would like to remind you Pats fans that you have your only Super Bowl Title thanks to maybe THE WORST officiating call in the history of the NFL. The Raiders should have won that game.

Now you sound like a pissed off ex-Raiders fan who jumped off their bandwagon after last years embarrasment at the hands of the Bucs.

20. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I guess he's talking about the Tuck Rule. That rule may be dumb but it was called correctly. Even after the call the Pats still had to kick a tuff FG and the win in overtime. There wasn't any tuck call in OT.

21. Dal--Intrepid

Mar 13, 2002
    The Pats had 9 out of 16 wins that they won by 7 points or more.

So 7 or more points is a blowout? OK. Then we just have different opinions on what a blowout is.

But basically, you can make the numbers say whatever you want. Let me pick an arbitrary number - How about the Pats scored 12 points or less in a game 4 times this year and the Panthers did that only twice? True, but I'd hardly consider that a major factor anymore than your numbers about 7+ point wins.

The fact of the matter is when you look at total offensive and total defensive stats for these two teams over the course of the entire regular season, they are literally back-to-back in the league. I am not even necessarily saying who will or will not win. I'm simply saying that a blowout is not likely. In fact, I hope we're not bored to tears by a 7-3 or 10-7 game. If that's the case, I wanna see some hittin'!

22. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I don't think seeing some hitting will be a problem with these two teams.

23. Alderaan_Viceroy

Jan 13, 2004
    Don't insult me like by calling me a Raiders fan. I'm much worse than that, I am a Miami Dolphins fan who lives in Charlotte part-time and likes some of the players on that team. Your only team to brag about? Oh yeah that Red Sox thing....

24. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Ahhh, this is great - all this pre-Super Bowl drama and angst. I love it. :D

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    If that's the case, I wanna see some hittin'!

Ohh don't worry about that. With guys like Wilson, Law, and Harrison on our team there will be planty of hitting going on.

I'm much worse than that, I am a Miami Dolphins fan...

You're right, that is much worse. Nothing is worse than a team who starts out strong then chokes after week 10. Sure the Raiders sucked big time this year but at least they sucked from the start and didn't flop like the fish did (no pun intended).

Oh yeah that Red Sox thing....

Say what you will about the Sox losing to the Yanks and your Marlins beating them in 5. It was great that your team won but even with their 2 championships they still haven't won as many as the Sox (even if it has been 85 years since they won it all :().

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.