main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Perpetual motion machine?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Yunzabit, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    In Star Wars, they have broken the law of physics, by making an object accelerate faster than the speed of light. However, is their any evidence to suggest in Disney canon, that a perpetual motion machine exists in Star Wars?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Not sure but this post reminded me of this

JediBatman and Darth_Duck like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't think so-technology in Star Wars canon and Legends is pretty darn advanced and isn't "scientific" in terms of plausibility and was never intended to be but I don't think such a thing as a perpetual motion machine exists.

4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Even other Sci Fi works like Star Trek or Doctor Who don't have perpetual motion machines. In fact I looked up "Perpetual Motion Machine" on TvTropes.

It seems like most examples of the trope are jokes (like the Simpsons clip above), curiosities, or side projects by mad scientist types that don't really play a huge role in the plot. In two examples (the train in Snowpiercer and the Reapers in Mass Effect), there's a machine that never stops and never runs out of energy. But the words "perpetual motion machine" are never said in those two works. The plot requires a machine that never stops, and that's all there is to it. In cases like the Hyperdrive, the writer has invented a piece of Sci Fi technology to get around the laws of physics. (Because a story where Luke's journey from Tatooine to Alderaan took several million years wouldn't be very interesting.) But things like a "perpetual motion machine" are different. Instead of making a device to get around the First Law of Thermodynamics, the writer will usually just ignore it, the way stories about shape shifters ignore the Conservation of Mass.

This makes sense when you think about it. If a "Perpetual motion machine" was something Han could pick up from the store right next to the spare hyperdrives, it wouldn't really advance the story at all. It would just raise questions about why this hasn't solved all of society's ills. You could no longer do stories about ships running out of fuel or needing to steal fuel or resources for the Rebellion. If Star Trek, with its peaceful utopian future and physics defying replicators, doesn't have perpetual motion machines, then you're not going to get one in a "used future" war story like Star Wars.

MandaloreRex2015 and Sarge like this.
  5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Star Trek warp engines require Dilithium and so on to function. And Trek I'd say is not yet a full post scarcity society(the federation specifically I mean) but it's getting there.

Star Wars Legends has more advanced FTL yet I'd say at the same time there are still constraints. In Star Wars there seems to be an unequal distribution of resources-some planets are densely populated, others are lightly or unpopulated. Whole worlds are used for agriculture and mining others aren't.

Perpetual motion machines render the need for such economies useless.

JediBatman and Yunzabit like this.
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    But warp speed is faster than .5 past lightspeed.

7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Maybe but star wars ships can go faster longer, and get farther. Trek ships can probably travel short distances faster but can't traverse galactic distances like Star Wars ships can.