main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PHPBB2 & My forum

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Kapil-Y, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapil-Y

Kapil-Y Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2004
    Hey guys! I have a forum up http:\\www.kyforum.tk

I want to move it to another place. Does anyone know how to make PHPBB 2 use another website's database during the installation. I have another host where I want to move my forum to, but I need to get the database from another place.

Thanks!

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    What you would do is use a SQL tool (phpMyAdmin is a very popular one) to create a dump of the database. Usually you can download a zipped version of a .sql file. Then you upload the sql file from the same tool, but on the new website.

¤Night

3. Kapil-Y

May 16, 2004
    The only problem is that the website I want to move it to (let's call it X) asks me to pay for a MYSQL database, so I got a MQSQL database from another provider(let's call it Y). What I want to know is can I use the database from Y, but host my forum on X. So, basically I want to use a remote database host.

4. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Oooooh.

Short Answer: probably

When you install phpBB, there is a field called "Database Host" that is usually set to localhost, IE the same computer. You would want to modify that field to point to the other host.

The trick is, I've never done this before, so I don't know how this works, plus there's a possibility (maybe a probability) that Providor Y will not allow these types of connections.

Try changing the host in phpBB's configuration.php file after installing, and see if this works. If it doesn't work right away, either inquire as to Y's policies in this matter, or google for remote phpBB databases and read up on how they work.

¤Night

5. Kapil-Y

May 16, 2004
    I tried doing that, yet it says cannot connect to database host.

In the field which first says "local host", is that where I put in the web adress of Y, my database host?

6. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    Yes, that is where.

I havn't tried doing this before, (and I forget what the phpBB install screen looks like) but have you tried using the IP address instead of the domain name, or checked with Host Y to see if they allow remote connections?

This is the only result that google gave me unfortunetly.

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.