main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Plot Holes and Inconsistencies in the Prequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by janstett, Sep 13, 2011.

1. sluggo

sluggo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    But the Jedi don't beliee that emotions are wrong. They are aware that SOME emotions (Fear, Anger, Hate) are dangerous to them (to anyone who uses the force) because they lead to the Dark Side. So part of a Jedi's training is gaining control over ones emotions so when they do feel fear or hate they can control the emotions and not give into them or act on them (ie - not murdering children because a loved one is killed). They put rules in place to limit/remove some of the biggest sources of those emotions.

A Jedi teaching a padawan is going to KNOW why those emotions are dangerous and while he'll have a bond with padawan he'll keep some distance as well and make sure the padawan understands the danger those emotions carry. A childs parents aren't going to have the same awareness or goals. Just because the Jedi don't form family bonds doesn't mean they will wipe themselves out, in fact they've existed for a long time using those rules.

2. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    YOu can argue "in the real world emotions are bad or not" all you want, but we aren't talking about the real world. We're talking about the Star Wars universe, and in this universe there is this thing called the force. And the force has a light side and a dark side. The Dark Side is accessed by using emotions like Fear, Anger and Hate. We KNOW THIS, in the Star Wars universe, this is fact. The Jedi (an order of beings who use the force) do see those emotions as negative because of were they can/do lead a Jedi. The Jedi KNOW that those emotions are dangerous TO THEM because of the Dark Side of the force so they HAVE to be in control of (not supress) their emotions to avoid the Dark Side.

Who has ever stated that the Jedi believe emotions are bad?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm afraid not. Your personal opinion, that Jedi should be held to a higher standard, is just that--your personal opinion. It does not constitute absolute fact.

In my opinion, which is as valid as yours, people are people no matter what profession they hold, and I am not going to expect someone else to act in a way that I am neither able nor willing to act myself.

I have negative emotions, as does everyone, therefore I expect Anakin, as a human, to have negative emotions on occasion. And no matter what universe we're dealing with, people are still people. What would be the point of watching Star Wars or any other film if we had to sever all connections to what we know in the real world?

As far as Anakin thinking the rules didn't apply to him, you are assuming that he had a choice about missing his mother after they were separated, or falling in love with Padme. Anakin had choices in many areas of his life, but none of us choose how we feel at any given point, we only choose how we act. You are also acting as if having an emotional, demonstrative personality somehow makes one a bad person. It doesn't. Obi-Wan was not a better person than Anakin simply because he was more reserved and therefore had the personality that the Jedi Order likes better.

You are certainly implying that. If an Order believes in isolating people from birth in order to ensure a lack of certain normal human emotions--at the price of suppressing great joy in order to ensure a total lack of certain negative emotions--I think it's safe to say that some of the Jedi think normal emotions are bad.

And the "but it worked" argument never flies with me. If the Jedi can't teach their Code without complete isolation and controlling the background of their subjects, they're either very bad teachers or very lazy. A real teacher can take the material and meet any student where he or she is, regardless of background or personality.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not fact either. Just Yoda's opinion, and Yoda is not a god. I think Yoda himself would agree that he isn't perfect. Plenty of Jedi felt those emotions without turning, in fact I would venture a guess that most of them did.

As far as controlling the emotions, I would agree, ensuring that such emotions don't lead to bad behavior is a good idea for everyone. But the reason that the Jedi had no idea how to teach Anakin how to do this, is because they had isolated themselves for so long. Until Anakin came along, they had refused to deal with anyone who had been raised in a normal environment.

If they had had experience training other padawans who had known their families, maybe they would have had a better idea how to help Anakin. As it was, they thought they could spout platitudes at him about fear and anger leading to the Dark Side and his fear and anger would just magically disappear. Since we don't see his training, we can't assume that they did more than that. And I saw no effort on the Jedi Council's part to present the material in a way that Anakin could understand--which, as I said, is a major part of teaching.

And as far as the excuse that "it worked for them"--any absurd philosophy could work in a vacuum, and the Jedi created a vacuum for themselves. And in the real world, slavery and oppression of women and minorities "worked for thousands of years" as well, until it didn't work anymore.

5. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    Excellent post and I very much agree.

It seemed to me that the other Jedi simply could not understand Anakin as he had an experience that none of them ever had. A loving parent. If all the other Jedi had been taken at birth, they never knew their mother or their father and so to them, the loss of either is no big deal.
    Also they never were attached to their parents so they have no idea how easy/hard it is to sever that bond. So they simply told Anakin to basically forget his mother and don't be attached to her any more. But they could not tell him how beyond a basic "don't have attachments."

As a teacher myself, I have to try and understand how my students understand something and then build on that. If I simply use my understanding then I run the risk of talking over their heads.

An other question that has been bothering me is this, a Jedi can not marry or have children. But what do the Jedi order to if a Jedi wants to leave and get married and have children? The rules against marriage and such are to reduce the risk of a Jedi turning.
    But if the Jedi is allowed to leave and marry and have children, does that Jedi not run the risk of turning? Would the Jedi order allow this? If the risk of turning is so great then they should not.

Regards
    Nordom

6. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    This is one of the issues I've run into over the years when it comes to topics meant to pick at the "problems" with the PT. After all this time, the topic either rehashes something that had been covered to death years ago, or they try to find something new and you can just tell they're reaching for the bottom of the barrel. Often times with the latter you want to reply "of all the things you could come up with to complain about, and you go with that?"

I don't know. It all just seems very tiresome after 13 years.

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Nordom, I think the thought is an ex-Jedi who left to marry and have a family ceases to be a "Jedi." Since we're not really aware of any Jedi who have done so (outside of EU I suppose), it's speculation but...

An active Jedi could have a family member held hostage to ensure a certain outcome in negotiations or something similar, might be the thought.

A former Jedi is not in such a position to affect things and so be not a "target."

The "occupation" and impact on others resulting from his/her official capacity has changed.

Or so it's possible that that is the thought. (Whew, convoluted.)

8. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Its absolutly a fact, we got a trilogy of movies telling the story of a Jedi who wasn't up to that standard and the issues it caused. Jedi HAVE to hold themselves to ahigher level, just like police officers in the real world. If you walk into someones house and see a husband punching his wife you may want to attack that man, a police officer probably has the same emotional responce but HAS to control it, he can't just go in and attack someone, for example. Anakin, like all Jedi, HAS to be in control of those negative emotions, he wasn't.

Anakin DID have choices - he CHOOSE to attack and murder the Tuskins. He CHOOSE to foster his feelings for Padme for 10 years then act on them when he met her. All choices he made. We've seen in TCW that Obi-wan had feels for the Mandalorian Dutchs, but unlike Anakin, Obi-wan acted like a Jedi. And its not that the Jedi Order "likes" Jedi like Obi-wan better, Jedi like Anakin are DANGEROUS. Have you even seen the movies? You do know what these emotions and actions lead too right?

You're making really weird and wrong assumptins about the Jedi. They are ENCOURAGED to love, but not get attached. YOu keep going off on these weird, extreme tangents that no one is arguing to try to make your point more relevent. A "real" teacher doesn't have students who can become evil and are dangerous if they feel fear or anger or hatred. Jedi can't be compared to "normal" people because they aren't.

9. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Thereis no point in talking to you if your'e not even going to "play" by the rules of the universe we are talking about. It IS a fact that feat, anger, hate lead to the dark side - if you won't even admit that I'm done talking to you cause there is no point in conitnuing.

You're opinion that everyone but Anakin is to blame for his actions is wrong - plain and simple. Anakin is responsible for what he did, no one else. The Jedi do things a certain way because the danger the dark side prossess. Anakin was a special case, but that means he had to work a little bit harder then other Jedi, and he didn't. He didn't "kill" his attachments to his mother or Padme, he foostered them, made them deeper, which is the oppsite of what Jedi are susposed to do. He didn't think the rules applied to him. Anakins failure is his own, not the Jedi Orders.

10. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    Actually the opposite is true.

First, the Jedi are not some out of touch, ignorant group of monks who live in a tower and have no idea of anything outside of the force and ligthsabers. They know excatly the kind of bond and child and parent has, if they didn't they wouldn't see the reason to seperate the two. They also see the bond that Master's and Padawan's form, which very close to a child/parent bond. Anakin even says Obi-wan is like his father. Anakin says they are encouraged to love, its attachments they can't/don't form, and there are very good reasons for that.

Second, the council in TPM and Obi-wan in AotC seem very understanding of Anakin, his feelings and how he deals with them. Yoda and co. don't tell him he has to forget his mother altogether, but he has to be able to let go of people and not be attached so that hes scared of losing them (wonder if that lesson would have helped Anakin, had he bothered to listen). Obi-wan knows that Anakin wants to see Padme again and doesn't tell him to snap out of it or forget her, he reassures Anakin that she was happy to see him. Obi-wan doesn't tell Anakin he forget Padme and not care about her when she falls out of hte ship, just that Anakin has to do his duty not go running off after one person. Anakins teachers did that, he just ignored the lessons and did what he wanted. He KNEW he shouldn't be attached to Padme or Shmi, but did nothing to fix it, in fact he went out of his way to break the rules.

11. sluggo

Dec 10, 2001
    This is Yoda and Anakins talk from RotS

77 INT. CORUSCANT-JEDI TEMPLE-YODAS QUARTERS-DAY

YODA and ANAKIN sit in Yoda 's room, deep in thought.

YODA: Premonitions . . . premonitions . . . Hmmmm . . . these visions you have . . .

ANAKIN: They are of pain, suffering, death . . .

YODA: Yourself you speak of, or someone you know?

ANAKIN: Someone . . .

YODA: . . . close to you?

ANAKIN: Yes.

YODA: Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.

ANAKIN: I won't let these visions come true, Master Yoda.

YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.

ANAKIN: What must I do, Master Yoda?

YODA: Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

Yoda doesn't scould Anakin for having some close to him, for caring for someone. He doesn't tell him to kill all his emotions or be a robot. He simply tells him that deaht (and therefore loss) is a natural part of life that Anakin has to accept and that being attached to people to that point of making a statement like "I won't let these visions come true" is dangerous for a Jedi. Its the same message Anakin gives Padme in AotC

ANAKIN
    Or be with the people I love.

PADMÉ
    Are you allowed to love? I
    thought that was forbidden for a
    Jedi.

ANAKIN
    Attachment is forbidden.
    Possession is forbidden.
    Compassion, which I would define
    as unconditional love, is central
    to a Jedi's life, so you might say
    we're encouraged to love.

Its attachment and the negative emotions that result in people when lose things they are attached too that the Jedi avoid, not emotion all together. Yoda and Obi-wan (I'll give you we don't see much of Anakins training from other Jedi) aren't hard on him or unsimpathetic to his situation. Anakin also KNOWS he shouldn't/can't form attachments to people and does anyway. He thinks the rules don't apply to him. When confronted with loss he isn't in control of his emotions, he lets them control him. When Qui-Gon gets killed do you think Obi-wan wasn't angery and upset at Maul? The person who was basically his father was just killed infront of him, but Obi-wan didn't go on a killing spree, cutting down every Zabrak he can find, he was in control. Anakin let his emotions get the better of him and turn him intoa murder in AotC, and then a Sith in RotS. And all of that is on Anakin, not on Yoda, Mace, Obi-wan, the Jedi order.....its on Anakin.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sraight from the source regarding Jedi and emotions.

"This is obviously a very pivotal scene for Anakin because this is reuniting with his mother and his youth and at the same time dealing with his inability to let go of his emotions and allow himself to accept the inevitable. The fact that everything must change and that things come and go through his life and that he can't hold onto things which is a basic Jedi philosophy that he isn't willing to accept emotionally and the reason that is because he was raised by his mother rather than the Jedi. If he'd have been taken in his first year and started to study to be a Jedi, he wouldn't have this particular connection as strong as it is and he'd have been trained to love people but not to become attached to them. But he has become attached to his mother and he will become attached to Padme and these things are, for a Jedi, who needs to have a clear mind and not be influenced by threats to their attachments, a dangerous situation. And it feeds into fear of losing things, which feeds into greed, wanting to keep things, wanting to keep his possessions and things that he should be letting go of. His fear of losing her turns to anger at losing her, which ultimately turns to revenge in wiping out the village. The scene with the Tusken Raiders is the first scene that ultimately takes him on the road to the Dark Side. I mean he's been prepping for this, but that's the one where he's sort of doing something that is completely inappropriate."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"The scene in the garage here, we begin to see that what he's really upset about is the fact that he's not powerful enough. That if he had more power, he could've kept his mother. He could've saved her and she could've been in his life. That relationship could've stayed there if he'd have been just powerful enough. He's greedy in that he wants to keep his mother around, he's greedy in that he wants to become more powerful in order to control things in order to keep the things around that he wants. There's a lot of connections here with the beginning of him sliding into the Dark Side. And it also shows his jealousy and anger at Obi-Wan and blaming everyone else for his inability to be as powerful as he wants to be, which he hears that he will be, so here he sort of lays out his ambition and you'll see later on his ambition and his dialogue here is the same as Dooku's. He says "I will become more powerful than every Jedi." And you'll hear later on Dooku will say "I have become more powerful than any Jedi." So you're going start to see everybody saying the same thing. And Dooku is kind of the fallen Jedi who was converted to the Dark Side because the other Sith Lord didn't have time to start from scratch, and so we can see that that's where this is going to lead which is that it is possible for a Jedi to be converted. It is possible for a Jedi to want to become more powerful, and control things. Because of that, and because he was unwilling to let go of his mother, because he was so attached to her, he committed this terrible revenge on the Tusken Raiders."

"The key part of this scene ultimately is Anakin saying "I'm not going to let this happen again." We're cementing his determination to become the most powerful Jedi. The only way you can really do that is to go to the Dark Side because the Dark Side is more powerful. If you want the ultimate power you really have to go to the stronger side which is the Dark Side, but ultimately it would be your undoing. But it's that need for power and the need for power in order to satisfy your greed to keep things and to not let go of things and to allow the natural course of life to go on, which is that things come and go, and to be able to accept the changes that happen around you and not want to keep moments forever frozen in time."

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance. It's easier to succumb to evil than it is to be a hero and try to work things through

13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    That's the one thing, when talking about Anakin'd downfall, that people always seem to forget, ignore, gloss over, what have you. He had Palpatine in his ear for over 10 years slowly poisoning his mind. Luke didn't. And guess what? Luke still nearly crossed that line in RotJ. Knowing that, can it really be much of a surprise that Anakin did? Under much more difficult circumstances, no less.

14. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Also consider that Qui-gon was taken from Anakin, who was a much better fit that Obi-Wan. I hate to diss Obi, but he was not ready for someone like Anakin, and his treatment of Anakin allowed for Palpatine to be "the nice guy" for anakin to fall back on and reveal his deepest secrets.

By the time Obi and Ani are on equal and strong terms with each other, its too late as Palpatine has a hold on anakin and is just waiting for the right moment to make things fall apart like in ROTS.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If you insist that I watch the films and view the Jedi Order through the exact same lens that you do in order to have a conversation, then you are correct, we should not have one. It obviously isn't going anywhere, and I find it pointless to attempt discussions with people who believe that their own perceptions and points of view constitute "fact". Your way of watching Star Wars is not the only "correct" one, and if you insist that it is, then we should simply agree not to discuss this further.

However, unless you can pull a quote from my posts in which I said directly that "Anakin bears no blame for his fall, it's everyone else's fault"--and you will not find one--I'll ask you not to put words in my mouth.

Thankfully the issue is not nearly so black-and -white as "the Jedi were 100 percent correct and Anakin sucked because he didn't fall in line" or "the Jedi sucked and Anakin was perfect". Star Wars would be very yawn-worthy if Anakin's fall could be summed up in a soundbite.

16. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I do agree with that. His fall was the result of many factors, it's not a black-and-white thing.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If Anakin bore no responsibility whatsoever for his fall, his redemption would be meaningless, because he would not need redemption--only the person/people who "made" him fall, would need redemption.

But I'm not going to play by the "rule" that the Jedi Code was 100 percent flawless and that Anakin should have just gone along with it like a good little drone either.

And lest there is any misunderstanding, it's not any individual Jedi that I blame for contributing to Anakin's fall. As I said earlier, it isn't their fault that they had no clue how to differentiate their instruction in order to teach him the material in a way that he could grasp it. By their own design, they had had thousands of years of "one-size-fits-all" teaching. It would be the equivalent of taking a teacher who has always worked with upper class students from homes where education was valued, and giving that teacher a student who did not have upper-class advantages or parents that value education. That being said, I do believe that such a teacher would be obligated to recognize that that student comes from a different background and not attempt to teach him in the exact same way as the other students. I think Obi-Wan is the only Jedi who tried to differentiate instruction at all, and he did not have the training to do so.

Anakin's fault lay in trusting the wrong person, in lack of patience, and in not tempering his "wanting more", even when he knew he shouldn't "want more", as he said. He also had too much pride and was not willing to ask for help, case in point, in ROTS when Padme asked hin to go to Obi-Wan and he said "We don't need his help." And then later in that same film, when he didn't want Obi-Wan to worry for him because he wanted to be fine, and wasn't ready to admit that he wasn't OK. I would also say he is to be blamed for being willing to sell his soul to the devil in order to save one person. But is loving Padme or his mother in the first place, "wrong" or a character flaw? In my mind absolutely not, and there is no convincing me that it is.

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey, Anakinfan, you know I don't oppose you to be contrary because we actually think fairly alike on this though we express it differently and from different angles, but contrast "not allowed" to love with:

"The Jedi are trained to let go. They're trained from birth," he continues, "They're not supposed to form attachments. They can love people- in fact, they should love everybody. They should love their enemies; they should love the Sith. But they can't form attachments. So what all these movies are about is: greed. Greed is a source of pain and suffering for everybody. And the ultimate state of greed is the desire to cheat death."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 213

"It's about a good boy who was loving and had exceptional powers, but how that eventually corrupted him and how he confused possessive love with compassionate love. That happens in Episode II: Regardless of how his mother died, Jedis are not supposed to take vengeance. And that's why they say he was too old to be a Jedi, because he made his emotional connections. His undoing is that he loveth too much."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine Interview; June 2005.

Maybe we should reframe this discussion less in terms of do the Jedi shut out emotion or forbide love to Anakin's detriment to how was it and why was it that the Jedi and Anakin didn't get to a point of mutual understanding of "Jedi love"?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm on board with that. I don't think anyone could dispute that Anakin handled his emotions the wrong way or that he was a bit extreme. I find the psychoanalysis of why he did that, as well as why he become desperate enough to try to cheat death, fascinating, but that might be another topic.

Let me look up the different forms of love as defined by the Greek terms as well as the Eastern philosophy that Lucas pulled from, and come back to this.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, here goes:

1. We both love Karen Miller's books, and she focuses quite a bit on the good of the group vs the good of the individual, and how Anakin and Obi-Wan viewed the issue differently. And I would agree that the answer to the question "Is it acceptable to sacrifice several people, hundreds of people, thousands of people, to save one person?" is a profound, "No! Absolutely not." And I think that is what the Jedi tried to teach. However, in not allowing familial attachments at all in order to avoid the remote possibility that some Jedi might be tempted to sacrifice a few people in order to save his mother, I think they went overboard. The closest comparison I can think of is the ever-extending regulation on child products. It is a common joke in discussions with fellow mothers of small kids, that eventually the Consumer Products Manufacturers Association is going to ban floors in houses where small children live, because a small child could always fall down and bump his head on the floor.

The Jedi, in order to keep themselves "safe" from Dark Side temptation, ended up isolating themselves completely--and then having no clue how to help a kid who came to them after living a semi-normal familial existence for the first ten years of his life. I'll add that I find the irony a bit amusing: fear leads to the Dark Side, but the Jedi fear of of the Dark Side led them to take such drastic measures with their training methods.

As far as Anakin, I think he genuinely believed he should not have to choose between saving an individual vs saving a group. He thought he should have the ability to do both, especially being the "Chosen One." Until the mid-point of ROTS when he became completely deluded, I don't think he ever had a "**** everyone else, only Padme or my mom matters" attitude. He simply thought that he, as a gifted Jedi, should have the power to save everyone.

2. Using the Greek terms for love: Anakin was right in that the Jedi are encouraged to have agape love or unconditional love. I'd call that an action more than an emotion. The other types of love--eros (passionate desire or longing), philia (friendship and loyalty), and storge (familial love)--the Jedi discouraged or outright banned. Again on Anakin, I think these other three types of love were such a part of who he was, that telling him not to feel them, would be like telling him not to see the sunset with his eyes or not to taste food with his tongue. It wasn't something he could simply turn off like a switch, and because he had probably always been encouraged to have these types of love before joining the Jedi, he probably did not understand why he was supposed to shut off feelings that he had always considered positive. And the Jedi, because it had been ingrained in them practically from birth that all types of love other than agape were "dangerous," they wouldn't understand why their explanations weren't computing with Anakin.

3. Eastern philosophy and "detachment:" I'll be honest, maybe it's my Bible-belt upbringing, but I'm not big on it. I consider the Zen philosophy of "there is no emotion, there is peace" to be a fantastic ideal, but an ideal that 99.999999 percent of humans are simply unable to reach--similar to a Christian trying to be Jesus Christ. One can strive to be as close as possible but no one gets all the way there, or even close. Yoda was probably as Zen as they get, and if 900 years old I ever reach, piss me off or scare me nothing will either. But expecting Anakin to take Yoda's Zen platitudes and think, "OK, cool, I'll let go of anything I fear to lose now," is simply not realistic IMO. Again with flipping a switch, it wasn't something Anakin was capable of simply turning off, and he probably did not understand why it would do him any good to try.

4. Lucas mentioned greed. I don't consider familial attachments "greedy," I consider them a normal part of human existence. If I allowed a thousand people to die in order to save my hus

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    My favorite kid warning (on strollers) Remove kid before folding.

:D I kind of agree on the fear "of the dark side" but then there's healthy fear and unhealthy fear. Kind of like Obi-Wan's "if he was afraid" because he pushes fear aside to do what he must.

Although you're right we both love Wild Space, I don't always agree with it (in fact, sometimes I think she switched Obi-Wan and Anakin in little ways that only us fans would notice) and I don't consider it definitive, especially a lot of the Jedi stuff (Yoda). It indicts Yoda and his top-down stamping out of emotion as something far beyond anything I've seen in the movies even by implication, and doesn't mesh well with other sources I've read.

Man, I'd love to go over a few scenes with you, dissecting and discussing them, but - well, anyway.

But how isolated are they really? Somewhat, of course I'll agree, having no families but I would also argue that the Jedi are a bit of an extended family but certainly not a nuclear family. They interact with different cultures - as visitors, I would agree, but they do interact, not stay tucked into an ivory tower with their fingers in their ears (so others won't misunderstand, you've never implied that nor do I mean to imply you ever did).

On Anakin I totally agree - he thought he could have it all. If anyone tried to tell him about possessive love (IF) then he either didn't want to listen or listened to Palpatine instead. IMHO. And this "able to do anything" definitely was egged on by Palpatine's sweet nothings.

I've sometimes wondered if Anakin was "that connected" to the Force in his young/teen years of training that he should have been allowed to follow it without hindrance - but then I slap myself because even child prodigies need some direction and training I would believe.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Yoda was quite as heartless a ***tard as Miller made him out to be in the first few chapters of Wild Space. Case in point, when Obi-Wan was injured, I think he would perfectly understand Anakin crying about it, and there would have been nothing to "forgive" as Miller indicated.

It's Stealth and Siege that focus on the forest vs. trees philosophy with Obi-Wan and Anakin, bringing the scientist into play and her (wrong) choice to sacrifice millions on Chandrila to save her family. And Anakin, prior to the attack on Chandrila, understanding what she was trying to do.

They were, and they certainly felt love for each other, but their total shun of familial blood attachments kept them from understanding why Anakin needed the connection with his mother.

I would call that philia, but I haven't delved into the philosophy that much. I'm reminded of the ROTS novelization conversation between Obi-Wan and Mace, when Obi-Wan discusses the fact that Anakin is loyal to people, not ideals.

They are allowed friendship, but I am under the impression that they are not allowed loyalty. Again reminded of an ROTS novelization conversation, this one between Obi-Wan and Yoda, in which they discussed how easily they would sacrifice each other for the "greater good." Maybe it's another aspect of my Southern upbringing but I can't imagine actually saying that to someone. "Yeah, I'd let you die, if society needed it." On some level I understand where they are going with this, but on another level I expected someone to interrupt the conversation with, "You guys are kidding, right? This is some sort of really dark joke?"

Disclaimer: I'm a Christian because that's what works for me, but I also believe there are many paths to God (or one's Higher Power, whatever people choose to call him or her) and one does not have to believe in Jesus Christ to have the "correct" path.

And I don't think anyone got evicted from the Order for failing to match the aspirations, but I've seen a lot of talk on the boards that Anakin was somehow a bad person because he couldn't flip a switch and stop worrying about his mother.

Thankfully my mother is still around, but I've been told that the loss of one's mother leaves a gap that never really closes. It seems that the Jedi expected Anakin to shrug off that gap or flip a switch and have it close automatically. Again going back to the fact that they had never personally experienced such a loss. I don't think such an expectation was fair.

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

But I think that while his reactions to some aspects of familial attachments were extreme, the familial attachments themselves--the concern for his mother, the falling in love with Padme--were simply a normal part of being alive.

On that we agree.

How he handled that - well, that's been the source of thousands of posts over the years.

As for Stealth and Gambit, I thought KM did a WONDERFUL job of contrasting the "greater good" vs. "the individual" viewpoint. There's merit in both positions - you tilt towards one and I the other, but we do agree on that.

I think Qui-Gon would have gone the Anakin argument - the scientist knew her family/friends WOULD die if she didn't cooperate, the Jedi and everyone else knew that if she wasn't stopped 100's, 1000s, millions or more would die - but they weren't in danger NOW.

Qui-Gon would say worry about your family; we'll worry about the others if and when we need to.

I don't think there is a black and white "correct" answer on that one, hence I found the whole argument compelling and fascinating to watch unfold. That same argument repeated on a smaller scale in the town - save the townspeople NOW while they were endangered vs. endangering them in order to survive long enough to get the the virus details out to save others.

Anytime an author has me rooting for one viewpoint then another I consider that a fairly balanced presentation of the most complex of issues.

Anyway, are we dragging this off-subject?

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    IIRC this whole line of discussion started with some poster stating that Padme falling in love with Anakin was a "logic flaw" because in that poster's opinion, Anakin was an idiot. Or something.

There have been a lot of discussions like that over the years. And I admit to expecting characters to behave and react in a way that I might behave and react, and not "getting it" when they don't. Not that that makes "why did Padme fall in love with Anakin" discussions any less pointless.

Discussions on Jedi philosophy are usually interesting, but yeah, maybe off topic. [face_peace]

Makes me want to read Stealth and Siege again though...

25. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If you believe that the Jedi code is flawed, then how come only 2 Jedi fell to the Dark Side? How come nobody joined the Sith before Count Dooku did? The fact that nobody in the Jedi Order had succumbed to the Dark Side throughout the 1,000 years before the events of the Phantom Menace should tell you that the Jedi Code was indeed working perfectly. Neither Dooku nor Anakin would've become Sith Lords if Palpatine/Sidious weren't around to influence them nor would they have let their attachments get the better of them. Even when Luke Skywalker, the last jedi left in the galaxy, is in the same room with 2 Sith Lords, he didn't let either of them corrupt him into becoming one of them despite that they came so close to succeeding. Why? because he had both Obi-wan and Yoda's teachings to fall back on which come from the same Jedi Code they've been upholding their whole lives. Nobody has to be "good little drones" but they can't allow themselves to be mentally unstable or else, they'll become a threat to everyone and themselves like Anakin was.