main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel Trilogy love - the prequels were great

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Deliveranze, Jan 2, 2016.

1. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I think (it's only my opinion and I am not any expert, of course XD), from my point of view, The Phantom Menace has the most homogeneous effects of the prequels. Maybe it's due to those practical effects that you comment. It's a perfect mix between the practical and digital. I love it. I think Episode 2 and 3 (though I love them) have more ups and downs in the special effects because they had less practical effects and more CGI in some shots (though in general they are impressive if we consider the technology they had in those years).

2. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    To me all 6 star wars have cgi that makes newer CGI films like even jungle book pale in comparison. And jungle book is good at what they tried to do.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    tpm the only sw film with children as main characters. the pt is the only trilogy with kids in it.

4. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Yea for sure. TPM really benefited from the extra years in production. Most of the effects still hold up so well and the blend of real/"not-so-real" was perfect. AOTC looks dodgiest but man, most of what looks sub-par is the stuff no one had ever done before. Padme riding that lizard thing in the arena comes to mind. Really daring effect, and now it's in a lot of movies. Still doesn't look quite right though.

5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    For me, the CGI in the PT looks rad to this day. I watched AotC on blu ray a few weeks ago and made a point to analyze the effects and I was impressed yet again. In fact, my appreciation of that film has risen, particularly due to the use of CGI.
    Specifically, the opening scene, the Zam chase, all of the Kamino scenes (incredible) and the duel with the Count. Incredible, really!

6. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I agree. The scenes "not than perfect" were the ones which have new ideas and techniques (though they are very good and, as you've well said, have opened new ways). The effects in AOTC and ROTS were something new and they were exploring new terrains. It's amazing what Lucas and his crew did and the horizons they broke. When I think on things like the Clone Wars (at the end of AOTC) I get goosebumps. It was 2002 and they are getting an amazing results on an epic battle with dozens of Jedi, robots, huge terrain and everything... I think if Lucas had made Episodes VII, VIII and IX, had tried very new things with technology. He says on the documentaries he always pushed ILM to new limits and ILM agrees with that. They say they have done many incredible things because Lucas always came with something new and barely possible. They had to make a tremendous effort to achieve the goals.

Yeah! The Kamino scenes were really stunning. The atmosphere, the mix of elements and the fact they were working with rain (I think that is difficult, because the drop of water are a tricky element).

7. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I agree also. AOTC is experimental. The effects were so damn new, that they did have some slip ups. But at the same time, they were discovering a boundary, that no one wanted to go past.

That's what makes it amazing. It groundbreaks the visual medium.

8. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Over-all the prequels were amazing - but the JarJar scenes in TPM shouldn't have been made, not that JarJar is a *bad* character, it's just that he's given crap, like he is messing about and being an oaf but ends up destroying a tonne of tanks and bad guys? Get real. Sure he's annoying, but annoying doesn't = bad, always, kids love him, I don't think he should have been axed, he just shouldn't have dumbed the important war scenes down to something that would look ridiculous in an episode of Mr Bean. Anakin could have a little bit older and there could have been a lot less of him in TPH, his discovery and force potential were far more important to the story than his own presence, so a lot of the rubbish could have been cut, like accidentally destroying the enemy ship (he's supposed to be a great pilot, so if they wanted to highlight that why not just have him fly up and destroy it easily while the rest of the ships fleet were having trouble?) and the pod race could have been much shorter. Much more Maul would have been great, obviously,
    There are of course, many ways that we can all think of to improve the other movies, but over all, they were all good, the weakest being TPM and I really wish GL had have gone for a version with the changes I've mentioned, and I'm sure that the consensus view is that that is how it should have been... We can all debate that too and think of things to add or whatever, but over all that would have improved it a lot.

9. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Force Ghost star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    I always cite AOTC as my least favorite, but I can't figure out why while I'm watching it. It's dope as ****.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  10. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Episode III is my favorite film in the saga (And all time)

Episode II is my second favorite film in the saga (And all time)

episode I is my third favorite film in the saga (And all time)

I love them all, beyond words, I wouldn't change a thing. They are awesome the way they are. :D

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    (quote="SuperPersch, post: 53502866, member: 1123158"]
    I always cite AOTC as my least favorite, but I can't figure out why while I'm watching it. It's dope as ****.[/quote]

Same thing happens to me. Despite it being my least favorite of the seven films I tend to watch it often. Maybe it's because how different it is from the other films, but who knows.

SuperPersch likes this.
  12. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Well the Prequels are the greatest movie trilogy ever.

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    *nods head approvingly*

:p

14. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    You may as well add James Cameron to the list. He indirectly praises the prequels quite strongly here.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    You can add James Cameron to the list! http://screencrush.com/james-cameron-star-wars-force-awakens-review/

16. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017

I need this on a shirt lol.

Tonyg likes this.
  17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Doesn't surprise me that Cameron would be a bit meh on TFA. Funny how he and Lucas had a similar approach to CGI/technology in wanting to expand the notion of what SF films looked like, while certain younger directors primarily want to recreate the look of what has already come before. Stereotypically the younger guys should be pushing the bounds of imagination, and the older guys sticking to the old ways. :p

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Mostly Handless and Deliveranze like this.
  19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    The pioneer work they did in AOTC paid of three years down the road as well. The space battle that opens ROTS still holds up today, also there is a lot of CGI in AOTC, such as Zam's alien face that's good in its own right as well.
    Riz seems like a great guy, I'm glad he's going to be at Celebration Orlando.:)

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    I had no idea Riz Ahmed liked the PT that's great. Now I must do a Google search. Its great he is going to Celebration.

If only more Prequel actors were going to Celebration it would be even better.

Mostly Handless and Darthman92 like this.
  21. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    I believe Ray Park (Darth Maul) is going.:)

22. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017

Yes you are right he is. Okay thats 1 lol.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  23. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    IDK if you count Ian McDiarmid:emperor: , since his first appearance was in ROTJ, (I do since the majority of his screen time occurs in PT) but I belive he is supposed to be at SWCO as well.:)

Skywalker Family likes this.
  24. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    Yes I will count him. Do you have the 3rd person I don't know about?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  25. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Daniel Logan, AKA young Boba Fett:boba: http://www.starwars.com/news/anthony-daniels-and-riz-ahmed-coming-to-star-wars-celebration-orlando
    [​IMG]