main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX PS2 Game recommendations?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by old-master, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old-master

old-master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    Well, after the death of my PSone this month, I decided to move on to the PS2. So, for my 26th birthday this month, I buy the system. However, I am lost on which games to buy. So does anyone have any game recommendations? Or stay away from this one? I will buying Medal of Honor: Frontline, because those games kick arse!

2. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    PS2-

Must haves:

Grand Theft Auto 3
    Max Payne
    Jedi Starfighter

Maybes:
    Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
    Star Wars: Racer Revenge
    Silent Hill 2
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Stay Away:
    Super Bombad Racing
    Fantavision
    Metal Gear Solid 2

3. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
  4. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Maybe they'll re-release Unreal Tourny with the network options.

With this network adapter (which I'll have to get), soon the socially challenged, shut-in geeks won't even have to leave their homes to play console games against each other. And isn't there an EverCrack for PS2 coming soon too?

5. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    i'd get an xbox or gamecube

xbox = better games, better controler, better graphics

gcube = more good star wars titles, cheaper price

6. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd stay as far away from the Game Cube as possible. I recall a little system called the Dreamcast that was the first on the market. Everybody raved that you should buy it instead of going with the PS2 later. Now, can anyone fill me in on how many games are out for that system now?? Oh wait, is it even on the shelves anymore?? Thrift stores don't count either. Bottom line, Nintendo is dying a horrible death...they won't be around much longer. As for the XBox, I'll hold off on my verdict just yet, but my gut instinct is that it too will fall flat. In the end, get a PS2! Great games and a controller you are use to not to mention that you can still play all of your old and beloved games on the new system. And you need to ask yourself, "Why would I buy any other system that doesn't have the Final Fantasy title?" Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, NHL 2002, NCAA College Football, Spider-Man, and Grand Theft Auto 3 are all extremely enjoyable games.

7. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Sorry dude, Nintendo isn't going anywhere. And they won't, as long as they have one little thing--franchises. They have the exclusive on Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, and a bunch of other games that instantly sell millions of copies and keeps them in direct competition with Sony.

As a matter of fact, the system that's having the hardest time is the XBox, because they're starting from scratch in the market.

Plus, Nintendo OWNS the handheld gaming market. They aren't going anywhere, and besides, they've been putting out some really awesome games for GC so far. Rogue Leader, Resident Evil, Super Smash Bros....

8. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Yeah that new Mario (Politically Correct) game where Mario gets to run around and fight trash and polution is really going to rake in the money. And those Pokemon titles, yeah that wasn't a fad that is dying a horrible death. That leaves you with Zelda and Metroid. Two of possibly their strongest titles, but not really worth buying a system for. I, like so many others have grown up with Nintendo, matter of fact R.O.B. still gives me troubles and don't even get me started on that dog in Duck Hunt. But by the time the 64 came out Nintendo was just losing its touch. I have three nephews (ages 6, 8, and 10) and not one of them care anything about Pokemon anymore, Mario is lame to them, Zelda sparks their interest a little, and they have never heard of Metroid. Face it, they are Nintendo's future and they could careless about the Nintendo market. They are more interested in the XBox and PS2 because as they put it the games are cooler. So yes, Nintendo is dying because the only ones who care about it are grown men and even they are losing interest. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I even saw a kid with a handheld either. Not like back in the days of the original Gameboy. Kids are not interest. At least Sony got smart and didn't dumb all their money into Pokemon and other stupid kid titles. They at least targeted the older audience as much as the younger. So time will only tell, but unless Nintendo has a major comeback (A.K.A. an original idea)they are sunk.

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Everything I've seen numbers-wise says that Nintendo is doing just fine. They're still raking in cash hand over fist.

If you don't like Nintendo, hey, that's your perogative. But making a claim that they're going under based on nothing more (that you've said) than your nephew's opinions, well, that's not exactly what I would consider well-researched. That's generalizing based on a couple of people's opinions.

And these franchises that you're discounting are still selling millions of copies, so I think it's a bit premature to say they're dead.

Nintendo and Sony aren't going anywhere. They have proven strategies and markets that they cater to. XBox is still undecided. They need to find their market niche and that takes a couple of years to do.

And another thing, to get back on topic--all three systems have a lot of merits. All three have some awesome games that are definitely worth having. I've never understood the whole mentality of "You MUST like one above the rest, and you must HATE the rest". It's kind of like the people that think if they like Star Wars, they can't like Star Trek, or Lord of the Rings. That seems like a waste of time to hate something just because you happen to prefer another product, franchise, or story.

There is room enough for everything here.

10. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Well Tim, since I'm the sort of guy who loves a challenge and since it is also my career to know the Stock Market I will take up your challenge. You intially stated that my opinion was simply based on a lack of research. To some degree most opinions are... hence they are opinions and not facts. Grant you, I was simply stating my opinion and didn't go as far as giving solid proof why I felt the way I did. But since you asked so nicely I will be happy to state one of last week's edition of the USA Today under the TECH Investor section had a very interesting article about Nintendo. To sum it up nicely Nintendo has reported a 42% slide in group operating profit for the latest year due to slack game sales. It goes own to explain the amounts lost in yen and dollars but finishes up by stating that the weaker earnings, which analyst say had been factored into Nintendo's stock price, reflected sagging sales of GameCube game consoles. Grant it, the Market isn't hot right now, but neither Sony nor Microsoft suffered as bad. You can also say, well they have so many other products to keep them up. That may be true, but it's those other products that will allow them to keep producing. You are right in one sense though, Nintendo isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They have as you put it a Franchise. A very valid and honorable point. What is hurting is that they aren't selling the games and consoles as well as the other systems are. How does that effect somone who might be considering getting a GameCube? Simple, if a product isn't doing well the company will not keep throwing money at it. No money...no new games. Plain and simple. This is why I have suggested other systems. I brought my nephews up because they serve as an example of the public's lack of interest...at least here in the U.S. Do I have anything against Nintendo? Matter of fact I don't, I'm actually a big fan of Nintendo and would love them to start coming out with better games again. But in the meanwhile I'll play my PS2 and wait to see who comes out on the top in the end. Now...can't we all just get along. ;)

11. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    you say thom-ma-toe i say tah-mah-toe

12. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    That's cool. BTW, I'm Brandon, not Tim. :)

I'm going to be very interested in seeing what happens once Gamecube starts putting out some of their bigger titles such as the rest of the Resident Evil remakes, the new Zelda game (which will hopefully be better than it looks, unfortunately---how can they screw up something that cool?), and the new Metroid.

And you're going to see numbers through the roof once they finally come out with a GC version of Mario Kart.

However, my only point in all of this was just to illustrate that there's room in the market for all three systems, and none of them are going anywhere. :)

13. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    To back Brandon up on one point, there has been and will be room in the market for 3 systems. We have had Nintendo (NES, SNES, N64, GCube) and Sony (Playstation, PS2) for decades, and we just traded Sega (Saturn, Genisis, Dreamcast) for Microsoft (XBox). It's like some Wiccan "Rule of Three" or something. (didn't your mom ever tell you that video games were made from Satan?) I don't see that changing anytime soon. You have the expensive/cutting-edge/adult-targeted system (XBox), the cheaper/stable/child-aimed system (GCube), and the average-priced/medium-technology/games-made-for-all-ages system (PS2).

Now for a point of my own: GCube and XBox have not even been out for a year yet (11/01). I think it would be foolhardy to assume the demise of either system so early in the game (pun intended). This time last year, PS2 was in the same position and everyone was swearing that it was going to fail as soon as GCube and/or XBox was released. Guess what? Look at it now, one year later. It has not only made it's mark in the gaming market, but it has become the standard by which BOTH the other systems are compared. And that goes for their revenue, prices, graphics, playability, quantity, quality. Kevin is right that some of Nintendo's franchises are failing or have failed, but they have a HUGE name in the industry with many other wonderful franchises that are flourishing. Or in the case of Metroid, coming back to life. They also have several great Star Wars games coming soon (Bounty Hunter, Clone Wars). They already have Rogue Leader. None of these titles are on XBox. True XBox had the "Obi-Wan" exclusive, but who cares. It sux. XBox also has the "Starfighter" series, but that title (along with most Star Wars titles) is shared with PS2.

Now don't get me wrong. There are many good games out for XBox as well. Halo is the perfect example. But they focus more towards adult games at higher prices.

Oh, and by the way Kevin, I DID by a GCube JUST in anticipation of the new Zelda and Metroid Games. Rogue Leader and Res.Evil were just bonuses. The only game that was pulling me toward the XBox was "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic", but then I saw that it was being released on PS2 as well... which I own and have been VERY happy with since it's initial release almost 2 years ago (11/00).

In my opinion, if you are just getting your first game system or this will be your only system, go for the PS2 with it's versatility and variety. It plays PSOne and PS2 games as well as CDs and DVDs at no extra cost or equipment. It's games range from brainless-baby (Lilo & Stitch) to hardcore adult (GTA3). How can you argue with GTA3?

Hope this helps Old-Master out, and stops the bickering between Kevin and Tim... errr, Branson.... errr, Brandon. DOH!! ;)

14. old-master

old-master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    I still am morning the loss of the Atari...
    I will be going with the PS2. Due to the fact that I can play my old PS games, hey am man cannot live without Tenchu! And I can play Metal Gear. And I can play DVD. I like the X-Box with the Bruce Lee game....but that no a reason to buy a system. I do not care about those SW games. Most have been disppointments, ie Jedi Power Battles, and the lame Starfighter line. PS2 seems to embrach my thinking, First person shooters, and original Japanese titles. I really want a Aliens vs. Predator game. Anyway time to end my rant. Thank You for everyones input. You are true gentlemen.

15. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Word, dude! Tenchu like a MF'er!!! ;)

Great game, good sequel.

Oh, and if you're waiting for AvP for console, you're really missing out. AvP for PC rocks and AvP2 is even better. It's amazing how accurate they made the sound effects, atmosphere and storyline. Word of warning, however--the second game at least WILL scare the crap out of you on numerous occasions.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and at least play the second one, if your computer can take it. :)

16. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    word is that xbox brude lee games sucks major ass. been getting one half star reviews on most game sites.

OK
    my time to really chime in here on the discussion.

i own a PS2.
    i own a XBOX.
    i own a Dreamcast.
    i own a N64.
    i [used to] own [until some a-hole stole it at the line for ep2] a GAMEBOY
    i plan to purchase a GCUBE now that they are cheaper.

because i'm a gamer.

now, rarely do i agree with brandon, but he and mike are right. the xbox aint going anywhere. 3 consoles is good, most good games will be on all three [like spiderman] and maybe even on PC. now why i own multiple consoles, is for the games that are one system only. frankly i want to play the games, i dont like being limited if i dont own the box to play it on, so i own them all.

only thing that might interfere with the xbox is the new platform M$ is dev'ing that combines the XB with a UltimateTV and DSS.

and dont give me that crap of M$ is a big evil corporation bent on world domination. dood, it's called capitalism. sure they make alot of money and bully people around. so what? dunno if you noticed but M$ pretty much won their antitrust suit.

i am sooo tired of the "anti-microsoft" camp always running their mouths off.

and dont give me crap about linix. linux sucks ass. once capitalism gets ahold of linux it will no longer suck ass, but until then...

you want to know who is truly EVIL and worth our efforts to destroy, yet nobody seems to notice? American Online.

anyways.
    enough of my rant. i know how much i hate reading posts over 2 paragraphs, so i'll stop now.

17. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Yes, death to America Online!!!!!

Microsoft is not evil. Nor are they good. They strive only for perfection. They add others biological and technological distinctiveness to their own. They are inevitable. Resistance is futile.

Is it any wonder that the XBox's colors are black and green? ;)

An experiment comes to mind. If you put an XBox and a PS2 next to each other and left the room, would the XBox sprout those two assimilation needle hoses and attach to the PS2, and when you come back in the room, you then have two XBoxes? I wonder.....

;)

18. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Sorry about the screw up on the name there Brandon. Should have done better research before I assumed who you were. :)

19. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    To everyone else, upon looking back on my previous posts it does appear that I was a little moody yesterday. Sorry about that guys, long days at work can do that I suppose. No hard feelings. And to just clarify, I have nothing against having three systems on the market (sort of like three different political parties, you can decide who is who),or have made any opinion on whether or not the XBox will hold up in the Market. My only concern was whether Nintendo's GameCube will hold water. I guess that verdict will be left undecided until Zelda, Metroid, and a few other titles are finally released. And as for Stone, you truly are a Capitalist's dream. I think my wife would kill me if I owned as many systems as you do. I just want to take the time to thank you for single handling helping to float our Market through these hard times. We can use money like your's! ;)

20. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Ummmmm.... I own GCube, PS2, Gameboy, N64, SNES, NES, Atari 2600. And I plan on buying an XBox when either I can afford it or the price drops again (which it probably won't). Within the last 2 years I have given away or sold my Dreamcast, Genisis, and PSOne. Dreamcast was a good system, for it's time.

On a side note, about Nintendo, I heard on a trivia game that they have been around since the 1800s. They started out making decks of cards and printed games in Japan and have just developed through the decades. They know how to survive, so I highly doubt that they are gonna go anywhere. You just can't piss away a centry old corp. Plus, take a look across the ocean. They are still going very strong in Japan too. They may be having some local problems here in the US, but they are too global to let that get to them.

21. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Maybe I need to correct myself. I don't think Nintendo is going to go belly up and close their doors. Like you said Mike, the culture of Japan wouldn't allow it. I just feel that as an individual product (the GameCube) will not/and is not turning the profits that were originally speculated by Nintendo. In that sense, Nintendo might turn its attention to another product, which leaves all those with the GameCube up a creek without any new games. But all this is only speculation at the time since we are all waiting to see what the franchise titles bring to the table. The reason I'm also skeptical about the GameCube is due to the 64's failure. Yes, I know a lot of people ran out and bought a 64 when it came out but the system didn't even turn 1/4 of the profit that Nintendo was hoping for. To make up their losses they tried making variations of it along with latching onto the Pokemon rights. That in turn allowed them a little larger margin of profit but in the end they pulled a lot of their money out of it and into the GameCube. For Nintendo's sake, I hope this decission works out better for them. But I'm just waiting to see them make a larger profit on the GameCube then they did on the 64 before I'll feel safe to get a system. In the end, just get whatever you want. I just like a system that guarantees me plenty of games.

22. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    Back to the topic at hand here, Good Games you should get.

Onimushu, a must have RE of the Samuri Era
    Devil May Cry, is nothing to cry about :_|
    Medal Of Honor(Allied Assult) Very Real
    Extermination, a very good RE game and worth the time, but the ending kinda sucks.. Overall a B game

and Like Mike said Earlier GTA3

If you like killin Pimps
    taken ho's money :cool:
    and doin drivebys then this is your Game

If you Rather Car Jack
    get some action in an alley (Im Talkin bout Ms Jackson) :eek:
    or Snipe a Mob Boss, Then its still the game for you

If you Rather be a renegade Cop
    Kill BadGuys
    put out fires
    And Save helpless people

Then Guess What its still the Game for you.

There is so much to do you will be looking for things not knowing what your looking for.

If your a fan of Dukes Of Hazard and like jumping your car a 100 feet over a few trucks.

Well I think you get the point.

Red 5 Out

PS. by RE I mean Resident Evil.

23. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Mike, I need to get that power cable for my 2600. What games do you have for that?

Any other dudes out there with their old systems still up and running?
    I would kill to get my Colecovision back!

24. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Thanks for reminding me Clay. I'll grab one when my mom gets back in town. All that old stuff is stored in her garage.

Oh, and Kenley, what's a topic? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.