main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Question about Starships.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JammerPickle, Dec 13, 2016.

1. JammerPickle

JammerPickle Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 20, 2016
    I know this is not about the prequels but I thought it fits most here. So, I was recently looking through the star wars wikia legends timeline, and thought about when the first ship capable of space travel was created. The timeline seemed to skip that and when I looked in my reference book(though outdated) it skipped right to the formation of naga sadow (the sith empire).So has there ever been a answer in canon or legends.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    which book is that ?

3. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    Star Wars: The Essential Chronology by Kevin J. Anderson and Daniel Wallace. I got it at a local used book store.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive/Legends

Possibly the first ever hyperdrive was the Hyperspace tractor beam, used by the Celestials in 1,000,000 BBY. This early Hyperdrive demanded massive amounts of power, supplied by gravity wells, although this type of hyperdrive was outdated by Hypergates which functioned on similar principle.

Though the Columi developed interstellar travel nearly 100,000 years before the Battle of Yavin, it is not known if they developed a true hyperdrive; what is known is that the fragile race soon gave up their interstellar travels to focus on other scientific and mental pursuits. The first interstellar space drive known to make use of hyperspace was developed by the Rakata, who built their Infinite Empire around technology using the dark side of the Force to travel through hyperspace.

Humans developed sleeper ships to first explore the stars, and later hyperspace cannons that boosted ships into hyperspace, before they in turn developed the hyperdrive. At a similar time, the Devaronians and Gossam devised the tumble hyperdrive to explore the galaxy.

Around 25,053 BBY, almost two hundred years after the fall of the Infinite Empire, the peoples of the planets Corellia and Duro finally discovered ways of working around the Force-attuned components of the Rakata technology and produced their own version of the hyperdrive; the Duros also independently created such workarounds. Within twenty years the technology had been stabilized to the point of general use, and the Corellians began to sell hyperdrives to nearby star systems (though some considered the trade practices of the Corellians during this era to be exploitation). The earliest hyperdrives would be considered slow by the standards of the early third decade ABY. Limited in range and often unreliable, hyperdrives gradually advanced to allow increasingly large ships to travel increasingly longer distances with greater safety, ease and speed.

So, for "first confirmed true hyperdrive" you've got a date.

5. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    Thanks a lot.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. JammerPickle

Nov 20, 2016
    Thanks a lot.