main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Questions Answered: Ben Kenobi finds an answer amidst a tragedy. **Thanks for the nom!**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Summary: Obi Wan discovers an answer to the many questions he has had for some time on Tatooine.

The M*A*S*H quote was: BJ: ?You may have treated a symptom, but the disease lives merrily on.?

I've had this little vignette in mind at a certain point while re-watching A New Hope recently. I found a way to include the M*A*S*H quote in this. Enjoy and review as you see fit!

Questions Answered

How would I do it?

That was the question that had been inside Obi Wan?s?Ben?s?head for roughly two decades.

How will I take him away from them?
    They had accepted their role as parents with courage and pride all those years ago when Obi Wan first handed the infant to them. After that moment, Obi Wan had renamed himself Ben and stayed on Tatooine to keep a watch on the son of Anakin Skywalker.

And then what?

What sign had Obi Wan been waiting for to indicate that it was time for Luke to fulfill his destiny? Over the years, Obi Wan called on the Force to help him foresee when that moment would be. The images he received were too vague. He pondered at how he was to separate Luke from his adopted parents. Would that be fair to the Lars? Would Luke understand? From Luke?s point of view, what right did Obi Wan have to take Luke away from the Lars? Would that be any different than the Jedi Council tearing Obi Wan away from his own family? The difference in Luke?s case was age. Obi Wan had been a small child when he was separated from his family. His family had been prepared for the separation. Luke was nearly outside of his teen years. It was an age when he could decide his own fate and develop his own sense of reason. When would Luke see the reasoning of his own destiny? Obi Wan had come to the conclusion that fate would decide when that moment would come.

How would I begin to tell them when that moment presented itself?
    It wouldn?t be an easy task. Owen Lars had developed an overprotective guidance with Luke. He went so far as to hide from Luke any connection to Obi Wan, the Force, and especially Anakin Skywalker?s true nature. Obi Wan could hardly believe it when Luke said he was told that his father was a navigator on a spice freighter. Oh, how Anakin would have laughed at that. There were so many obstacles against Obi Wan when it came to leading Luke to the path of his destiny. Owen Lars would have been satisfied if Luke?s destiny was to become a lifelong moisture farmer. Fortunately, Luke?s inherited genes would prevent that dream. Although, there was a time when Obi Wan thought that Luke might have adopted his uncle?s cautious philosophy.

Five seasons ago, Obi Wan had felt Luke?s cry for help in the Force one night. He was with his friend, Windy, and it seemed their dewback had thrown them off in the middle of the Jundland wastes. From listening to the Force, Obi Wan received Luke?s position and he set out to rescue them. Obi Wan thought this chance encounter would be the perfect time to hand down Anakin?s lightsaber to his son, so he brought the ancient weapon along with him. He never got the chance to give it to Luke.

Owen Lars should have been thankful that Obi Wan?Ben?had saved Luke from death in the desert. Instead, Owen scolded Ben for coming near his nephew. Luke had witnessed his uncle?s tirade against Ben, and the old Jedi could sense Luke?s fear of taking any more risks or having any further adventures.

Obi Wan remembered with great clarity his remark to Owen after the man yelled at Ben to never come back. Ben said calmly to him, ?At least I have suspended the boy?s adventurous spirit.?

Obi Wan would never forget Owen?s reply. He could hear the man?s rugged voice as if he were in front of him at that moment. ?You may have treated a symptom, but the disease lives merrily on.?

Obi Wan countered with, ?His destiny is not a disease, Mr. Lars.?

Owen neared to Obi Wan closer and uttered out of earshot of Luke with an intense certainty, ?I will always be grateful to you for bringing the boy to us. But the day that you take him away and force him to enter the same life th

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

And there it was. The answer. The moment had come. In order for Luke to be allowed to follow the path of his destiny, he needed to want to take it. That was what the Force had been counting on.

Unfortunately, the price to get to that path was the death of Owen and Beru Lars. Their sacrifice could very well pave the way for a new free world. The images that the Force gave to Obi Wan regarding Luke?s future involved a position of great responsibility and leadership. Owen and Beru?s upbringing would be the cause of that path. If Luke was to be the galaxy?s last hope, the Lars may never gain the recognition they deserved in raising him.

Obi Wan sat back in the landspeeder?s passenger seat and reached deep inside the Force. He had touched the lifeforce of his old master on several occasions in this state. This time, he focused on two new souls in the Force that had been recently added to its power.

Thank you, Owen. Thank you, Beru.

You have done well

Bravo - done well has the author as well! =D=

You worked the quote in well and I love how Ben remembered Owen - and thanked him and Beru for raising Luke.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely Obi-Wan nice as always with kind words to Owen and Beru.

Great response to the challenge

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautifully done, and a magnificent use of the quote!

It was much different from the determination in Luke?s voice at the destroyed sandcrawler.

There?s nothing left for me here now. I want to learn the ways of the Force. I want to become a Jedi, like my father.

And there it was. The answer. The moment had come. In order for Luke to be allowed to follow the path of his destiny, he needed to want to take it. That was what the Force had been counting on.

Unfortunately, the price to get to that path was the death of Owen and Beru Lars. Their sacrifice could very well pave the way for a new free world. The images that the Force gave to Obi Wan regarding Luke?s future involved a position of great responsibility and leadership. Owen and Beru?s upbringing would be the cause of that path. If Luke was to be the galaxy?s last hope, the Lars may never gain the recognition they deserved in raising him.

Obi Wan sat back in the landspeeder?s passenger seat and reached deep inside the Force. He had touched the lifeforce of his old master on several occasions in this state. This time, he focused on two new souls in the Force that had been recently added to its power.

Thank you, Owen. Thank you, Beru.

You have done well.

=D=

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved the look into Ben's mind as the years passed by.

It's too bad he worried over how Luke would have to leave the farm instead of just trusting the Force to provide a way.

the day that you take him away and force him to enter the same life that destroyed Anakin will be the day when I am stone cold dead

I wish that didn't have to be the case :_| :_| :_|

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow that's something that never occurred to me before... [face_thinking] that the loss of owen and Beru was the catalyst and mechanism for Luke to embrace his dream and destiny.

Super use of the quote.

:D

7. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nicely done. Another great response to the challenge.

8. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Thanks to Valairy_Scot earlybird-obi-wan , and VaderLVR64 for your kind words.

KELIA - I loved the look into Ben's mind as the years passed by. I plan to look into his mind in this same era if the right plot bunny comes a-calling.

It's too bad he worried over how Luke would have to leave the farm instead of just trusting the Force to provide a way. Guess that's what old age and heat did to him.

Jade_eyes - the loss of owen and Beru was the catalyst and mechanism for Luke to embrace his dream and destiny. Surprising how some events that help shape history go unnoticed.

MiralukaJedi - Thanks for the praise and the idea for this challenge!

9. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Really good response to the challenge. =D=
    You couldn't have used the sentence better.

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I enjoyed this fic greatly and thought Ben?s narration was right on target.

Owen neared to Obi Wan closer and uttered out of earshot of Luke with an intense certainty, ?I will always be grateful to you for bringing the boy to us. But the day that you take him away and force him to enter the same life that destroyed Anakin will be the day when I am stone cold dead.?

Nice piece of dialogue. It is a rather ominous piece of foreshadowing and some self fulfilling prophecy as well.

I?m a sucker for Lars recognition. Very well done, madman007.

11. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Beautiful little story!!! You so deserve the nomination for best vignette!!!
    =D= =D= =D=

12. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Speaking of that...

Thanks to all who nominated and voted this little viggie of mine! [face_love][:D]@};-

And it's my first nomination here or anywhere!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.