main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Qui-Gon Jinn and the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I think an important element of the TPM as it stands was Obi-Wan's maturation and distinguishing him from Qui Gon in the sense that he sort of "rolled his eyes" and agreed with Yoda, Mace, etc. rather than heeding Qui Gon's teaching/advice, and it comes full circle in RotS, because we all know Obi Wan has to "fail" Anakin.

Echo Base likes this.
  2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    maybe a yoda spinoff pre-luke where he learns from Qui Gon, then is visted by a very powerful dark side user. the explainations are eu, but that dark side cave got dark sided for a reason.

3. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    If you look on that SecretHistoryofStarWars site at the article on the early draft of Phantom Menace, they originally were combined as one character. Only that end did Qui-Gon come into it in that draft.

4. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Fair enough. I still think Obi-Wan should have been the one to have found Anakin and the one to have initially desired to train him. The rewrites for that to happen would require Qui-Gon to be a more back-seat role, pushing Obi-Wan to the fore, but that's how TPM should have been! With Obi-Wan as the brash hero! It would have worked IMO.

5. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Interesting and I like this.. but by doing so, Qui-Gon's death would have been a lot less dramatic (he was the central character in EP I). The only way this would have worked is to have Qui-Gon survive Ep I. However, if Obiwan did discover and train Anakin, their duel at the end of EP III would have been a lot more emotional and intense.

6. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    Oh I'm with you there -- my comment was meant in regard to how it turned out. They could have worked it completely differently, and I think based on the OT it would have made sense for both Obi Wan and Anakin to have been older at the outset of the PT.

Satipo likes this.
  7. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    He should at least get a mention. Need to tie all the triologies together.
    As for an appearance? Only if its relevant to the story. Don't need any cameos for the sake thereof.

8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Maybe he's one the PT name drops that comes from MVS.

Echo Base likes this.
  9. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe as a mention or flashback, but I don't think it's really that necessary for him to be in the movie as a Force Ghost.

10. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I would love to see Liam Neeson reprise the role of Qui Gon Jinn. Even if only as a voice (not that he hasn't learned physical presence yet, whole other discussion). Not necessary in a teaching role, but one to reach out to Luke or his apprentice advising what they are up against. The question really then becomes, does he commune with Anakin? Wonder if there is a thread on this.

The more we know on the living force, the better off we and the not so in tuned audience will be when watching Ep. VII. And the fact it will flow from a character we all know and love, will make the moment that much more powerful. Obviously Yoda and Obi Wan should be present as excluding them would make us wonder where they are.

11. Haruss

Haruss Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    Especially Anakin. In retrospect, TPM just feels like waste of time when it comes to him

12. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I hope Qui-Gon simply fades away into the Netherworld of the Force in the future. He wasn't much of a character to begin with. Why someone had the idea of making him a Force spirit makes no sense either. There were other ways of getting Yoda and Obi-Wan to become ghosts.

13. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    In my own private world, the PT isn't canon.

propeller likes this.
  14. LastPadawan

LastPadawan Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2014
    Would be awesome to have Luke learning from the Force ghosts of Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, and Anakin. I wouldn't even need to see them, just maybe hear their voices from Luke's point of view.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I think it would be an interesting mirror to have Qui-Gon manifest as a Force Ghost, because if we have Plagueis on board as a Sith, I cannot see why Qui-Gon could not show up too even for a moment or three.

I think he'd be a more interesting Force Ghost than Obi-Wan because of his ambiguities and ties to Anakin.

That said, if it's fan service only, no thanks, I can wait until the Obi-Wan spin off to see him.

16. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    So Plagueis is going to be the new Sith Lord? (don't know how to hide spoilers, but that could be one) I would say that is an old rumor, but you never know. I would like Qui Gon, Anakin, Yoda, and Obi Wan play a role in the force ghost/voices.

Echo Base likes this.
  17. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I think Qui-Gon was the most interesting character in the PT. But honestly, what purpose could shoehorning him into the PT possibly serve?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  18. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    In TCW Qui-Gon speaks to Yoda but says he can't be seen because his training was "incomplete" as he put it.

19. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Meant to say ST. Why would Abrams even consider writing in a reference to Qui-Gon? As far as we know, only MVS should even have much of an idea of who he was. And perhaps Leia knew from her father... Just sounds like potentially the most pointless fan service possible. Might as well toss in a mention of Boss Nass, while he's at it. :)

Lord D'arg and Dra--- like this.
  20. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Qui Gon was awesome but nah, his deal is up, he only became back from the netherworld as a forcely sprite because he knew that was what Shmi was into....."Knocked up by the force you say?"

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in a way qui-gon is in all the ot since without him force ghosts wouldn't exist.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. So you say... in every single thread, on a daily basis, in complete defiance of our rules against OT vs PT debates and PT bashing. Consider this the first day of the rest of your posting career here or potentially your last day with us. Because it's beyond tedious at this point.

23. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013

I'll respond to this silly post with a more serious one since "netherworld" reminded me of reading something about Lucas's intentions to the sequel trilogy, it being more ethereal, and the possibility of battles on spiritual planes. There was also once consideration that Kenobi and Yoda would help Luke in Episode VI if I remember correctly.

If that were to "materialize" then I could see Qui-Gon Jinn coming back with Kenobi, Yoda and maybe even Luke (depending on what happens) to fight Sith spirits (from a tomb maybe?) in Episode IX. It would be difficult to pull off but man, that actually sounds amazing.

What would complicate it is Anakin since it would be hard to rationalize Hayden and old Luke. Maybe the explanation would become that you return as the last time you were truly a Jedi.

They could even justify the existence and ability to Force Ghost as it was in preparation for this battle, and then officially put them all to rest (aka truly become one with the Force) once it's over.

24. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    To be honest I'd be totally down with that, I actually kind of liked the fact that in the rough drafts of ROTJ they could dip in and out of the netherworld and into the physical if they so chose to (although had a time limit to do so which was running out) but didn't because it would alert the Emperor. The idea was that Obi Wan never died in ANH he just sort of dematerialised and came back in flesh and blood at the end of Jedi. Yoda also fought as a ghost in the final Sheev/Luke duel. Some pretty out there stuff but it's possible they were thinking of the bigger plan at the time and may offer a tiny glimpse of what could be.

I definitely see the role of Force Ghosts expanded upon in this trilogy.

Flapjack4 and Maharishineo like this.
  25. Luke'sSeveredHand

Jul 21, 2014
    A Qui-Gon reference/appearance would be a great way to tie the PT's most interesting character and arguably wisest Jedi to the OT cast, because there is a huge disconnect there; i.e., connecting the best of the PT to the best of the OT.

whostheBossk and Echo Base like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.