main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Why "He Should Have Complied" Does Not Apply To Stephon Clark
    From the article:

The police do not identify themselves until after he is already dead and the second unit arrives.

The police claimed that they saw him with a gun, and the excuse everyone is making for that is, “Well, it was dark.”

Well, guess what? Stephon Clark was in that same darkness and had no way of knowing who was coming toward him in that darkness as he stood in his own backyard.

Have you ever been on the other side of a police flashlight? Those things are blinding and make it impossible for you to see anything. If the police didn’t identify themselves as officers, how was he supposed to know who they were?

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly. The cops have flashlights. Clark just had a phone, and for all we know he got it out to try to turn on a flashlight to see what scary people were chasing him.

Honestly, this is probably the worst example of "the cops are just another gang" I've seen out of any of the killings in recent years. How can they not even identify themselves? That is the most basic thing they have to do, always.

3. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    We need to continue to honor her legacy.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Just saw that. The fact that this isn't surprising is one of the most depressing things ever.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    maybe of interest:

"People are constantly telling Amara La Negra that she doesn't fit anywhere. Sometimes, she's "too black to be Latina." Other times, she's "too Latina to be black." But Amara says afro-Latinas aren't rare and they're no cause for confusion — they're just in dire need of more representation."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think afro latino men are at least known because of DR's incredible contributions to MLB. But I would agree, I don't think I've hardly ever seen afro latinas on TV or in film.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Today is the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination in Memphis.

13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    We must do more to realize his dream, particularly as he articulated it during 1967 and 1968.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Young black man applies to 20 different colleges, gets accepted with full ride scholarships to all of them. FOX News calls him "obnoxious" and "ridiculous."

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Is that one of the Sinclair stations?

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    It goes to show how anti-intellectual Fox is.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I came here to post that. And to point out that this guy is a child. A child.

There may be times when felony murder does make sense. If you cause someone a heart attack while robbing them and they die, you can make a decent argument that you directly caused their death (though I'd argue that this is manslaughter, not murder).

Accomplice death during a felony should not be one of these cases. Especially when the robber in question was a literal child.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    @SateleNovelist11 : Indeed. How dare he want to learn! Who does he think he is? Better than 71-year-olds who have never read an entire book in their lives?

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, there is no point where it's defensible solojones. Well, no - if you want to keep childraping the concepts of law and governance as America has proudly done since the late 18th century, sure you can throw out the common law fundamental of mens rea when trying to label things murder. In fact, you might as well because the more things you can **** up into the murder category, the more options you have for indulging yet another of your third world passions as a nation and getting a death penalty conviction, right?

We could play a fun game, where we take the most outlandishly capricious statutes from the developing world, and the USA, and play a guessing game as to which ungovernable hellhole this pernicious law stems from. "Felony murder" - Oh that would have to be Yemen, right? No? Zimbabwe under Mugabe? No? The US? Bull****! No way!"

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    They must prefer the corpse of Jerry Falwell.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ender, if you read my post, I said the cases where felony murder is usually applied should be manslaughter, not murder. So I'm not sure what you're shouting at me about.

24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    There was a famous case in the UK where someone was convicted on the basis of "joint enterprise" and was hanged .
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case

obviously we no longer have the death penalty but I think the basis of "joint enterprise" is still in law .