main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Racer Revenge for PS2

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/racerrevenge/images/screens/11.jpg] [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/racerrevenge/images/screens/10.jpg] [image=http://www.lucasarts.com/products/racerrevenge/images/screens/6.jpg]
    This game comes out on Thursday, anyone getting it?
    I know I am on gp since I own a PS2.

2. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I'll be getting it along with TPM for free. This is going to be so much better than the first one.

3. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I like the look of this, and I certainly enjoyed the first one.

But I tell ya, if LA do eventually port it to PC, and they do as crappy a job as they have done with Starfighter, I'm gonna be well pissed.

4. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I'm just happy that all these great SW games are coming out to hold me over for the next 3 months until EP.2 comes out.

5. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Rear_Admiral_Thong Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    I have it sitting in my car. Its waiting for me to leave the office in a few hours, so I can play with it.

I walked in to Funcoland today at noon, just as the UPS guy was leaving. He had delivered 4 copies of the game. I quickly relieved them of 1.

I'll let you know what I think of it, assuming my wife lets me play it tonight.

6. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    I got to play it for about an hour last night.

Its definitely more fun than the N64 version.

Great graphics, tight & responsive controls, awesome sound. The fact that it has more music in it than the N64 version might be the biggest plus, as it really helps boost the energy of the game. That was really missing in the N64 game.

Thumbs up, so far. It should keep me happy until Jedi Starfighter comes out (and then Jedi Outcast for PC).

7. dc1975

dc1975 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2001
    Got the game yesterday, and I love it. My friends and I played it all last night. I loved the n64 version, but this one is way better.

8. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I just got it today. I just got done playing a little bit. I just finished playing the trial circuit and wanted to come to the boards and post my thoughts. Over all I like this game.The controls are easy to use and a lot smoother than the fisrt. Music is great. TheGraphics are not earth shattering but is pleasing to the eye. One thing I'm likeing is the ko\bribe feature. It adds a little challenge to the game. Also the use of planets from the OT is cool. Any fan of the orinal game should pick this up.

9. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    "Now THIS is podracing!!"

10. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    How about some critiques?

Is the game too easy?

I've come in 1st place on about 8 tracks so far in Tournament mode, most on the 1st try. They were close races, and I was anxious to the end, but I'm still surprised at how well I've done.

Or maybe I'm a natural ...

Also, will the game be too short?

These are my concerns right now. I've had a fun few hours, and I AM impressed so far with the game, so don't get me wrong. It should keep me happy until the next thing comes along in a few weeks.

11. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    I'm picking it up after work today and isn't it nice to have a new Star Wars game for the long weekend?

:D

12. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    I just finished the tournament, with Anakin as my racer. It only took make an hour or two tops, not too hard. I got first place on every track, most the first time.

SPOILERS BELOW

I unlocked all of the obvious secret podracers that you see in silhouette when you choose your character.

However, I noticed in the credits at the end voice credits for the following characters:

Jake Lloyd as Anakin
    Somebody (not James Earl Jones) as Darth Vader
    Somebody else as Darth Maul

Thus, they must be characters that can be unlocked through other accomplishments or a code.

I've got more work ahead of me.

13. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I have to agree it is easy. I've gotten gold on all races with Ani so far. The challenge is getting par kos and gold.

Check the Pod Racer Concept art unlocked after getting all golds on the trial races.

Spoilers....

There are pics for Watto's pod,Darth Maul's pod,and Darth Vader's pod. Vader's pod is the coolest modled after a tie.

14. ZamWesell

ZamWesell Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2002
    there any pics of vader or maul's pod?

15. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    This happens BEFORE EPisode II events?

16. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I just finished the game with Anakin. Man this game is easy. Know I'm playing as Sebalba. This time around I'm going to try for all par KOs.

No pics yet. I'm sure once the game has been out a while you'll see some at game sites.

As for the time frame. It takes place two years before EP.2. A lot of cannonholics are not going to be happy with this game. For one thing Anakin has his orginal pod modified. While in the comics the pod was sold to Sebulba. But then again the orginal had Anakin racing a whole ciruit.

17. Lord Mauly Mall

Oct 21, 1999
    Ok I played for a couple of hours and it rocks!

Let me just say this to get it out of the way and especially for those who seem to be winning the game easy:

Use the Advanced controls!

The Advanced controls let you pilot the pods like in the movie, meaning the left analog stick controls the left engine and the right stick controls the right engine. It's the only way to fly! The buttons are for sissys! Whenever I play a game I try to use the analog sticks as much as possible and for this game it's almost essential to provide a kick-ass gaming experience that's just like the movie. To further enhance your gaming experience, I suggest putting the view in first-person mode in which you can see just the engines while using the Advanced controls. It's Wicked! Or should I say Wizard!

This game gives me new respect for podracers and it totally makes me watch TPM again which is what I'm doing right now.
    :D

18. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I'll try the two analog controls once I unlock everything. Right now I'm going for par KOs and gold at the same time. This is challenging enough. One thing I have noticed is that if you KO the track favorite and best lap\race record holders it makes winnig a breeze.

19. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    I replayed with Sebulba, making sure to get at least the par number of "kills" each race, as well as all First Place finishes. I was able to earn enough money to max out my pod at the end.

After I finished, I unlocked EP1 Sebulba, which also has a "maxed out" pod. So, now I have 2 Sebulbas.

Then, I tried to do the same thing with Anakin. I thought I would either unlock EP1 Anakin, or maybe Darth Vader (because the "kills" would make Anakin go to the dark side).

However, nothing unlocked after I finished again with Anakin. However, my Anakin now has a maxed out pod.

I'm guessing that, to open EP1 Anakin, Darth Maul, and Darth Vader, something arduous will be involved, like finishing all races with all of the podracers, or something.

20. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Thanks Thong. I did the same with Sebulba and was about to replay Anakin with par kos. Saved me some time.

21. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    The only thing I didn't do with Anakin is make sure I got MORE than the par kills for each race. That would have taken alot more time than I had. I ONLY made sure that I had the par amount (I got more than par a couple times just by chance).

So, there's a possibility that getting more than par in each race with Anakin will open something.

I'm also wondering if you might open a character if you kill off everyone in a race.

22. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Kills?! You get to intentionally kill the other racers in this game? Magnificent!

23. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    That's a good question. Maybe if you have so many Trugets(SP?) left after finishing the tournament you unlock characters. I might try that with EP1 Seb.

24. Rear_Admiral_Thong

Nov 30, 2000
    I took EP1 Sebulba through the entire tournament. I made certain to KO at least 5-6 racers per race. I accumulated about 80,000 truguts. However, I didn't unlock anything new. :(

25. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I did the same. I got 7 kos on all the boards except the last tournament set. The later stages ranged from 4-6. Man that wasn't as easy as I thought. I also played through Scorch Zandles(SP?) with par kos and golds. So with four all gold tournaments done still nothing. :_|

I'll do another tonight and let you know if anything is unlocked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.