main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Raiders of The Lost Ark Special Edition!!!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Indy3, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Check This Out From TheIndyExperience.com

http://www.theindyexperience.com/september_2004.shtml#0000437

Raiders of the Lost Ark Special Edition DVD? -

09-02-04 Posted by Aaron

In the September issue of Total Film Magazine, they feature a special on Steven Spielberg where they have reviewed all of his films including Raiders of the Lost Ark (which also includes a cool Raiders poster). They also have an interesting interview with Spielberg. In the interview, Spielberg spoke about Indiana Jones 4 and later on in the article, the magazine mentioned the possibility of a Raiders of the Lost Ark Special Edition DVD that may include the shot-for-shot remake of Raiders! Here is an excerpt from the magazine:

Total Film: "So why embrace Indy 4? Surely you could knock that out in
    your sleep?"

Spielberg: "It's not for money or success. It's for good times. I've always
    said that I had the most fun in my life making those three movies with
    George (Lucas) and Harrison (Ford)."

Total Film: "It's been a fair old wait."

Spielberg: "It's a very good story. It's worth living that long to see."

In Total Film's review of Raiders, they included a quick paragraph about Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation possibly being included on a Special Edition DVD of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Keep in mind this is a quote from the magazine, NOT from Spielberg: "The ultimate compliment still awaits. Paramount is considering including their homage on a Raiders DVD Special Edition. Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase Indy-pendent cinema."

A Raiders Special Edition DVD? Believe it or not this isn't the first time we've heard this. Back in February of 2002, Dreamworks Fansite spoke with Frank Marshall after a screening of the Special Edition of E.T. where he had this to say: "We're thinking about doing this with Indy [Marshall] said, bringing it back out and spiffing up the effects." As you know, the special edition of E.T. which included new scenes and improved special effects was released on DVD a few years back. Could they be doing the same for Indy?

We're not sure where Total Film got this information about a Special Edition of Raiders. It could have been based on information Spielberg gave them (not very likely since they did not quote him) or it's just speculation on their behalf (the more likely scenario). We'll file this under "R" for rumor right now, (especially without any official confirmation or quotes from Spielberg) but remember: anything can happen. And even though it wasn't new info, it was still good to hear Mr. Spielberg enthusiastic about his work on the Indiana Jones films when asked about Indy 4.

You can read the full article on Spielberg and his films in the latest issue of Total Film Magazine. You can also check out the full quotes from Frank Marshall at Dark Horizons.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I hope this never happens.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Me too. Well, when the successor to DVD comes out in 10 years or so, maybe then I wouldn't really mind.

But if they're gonna do a spec. ed in the next few years on DVD I sure as hell won't be buying it.

And I don't mind if that fan-remake comes out on a bonus disc or whatever at some stage and they call that a 'Special Edition", it's the talk of more tinkering with the original I don't care for.

4. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I'd actually love to see that fan remake. But the film itself is as perfect as any film I've ever seen. If it ain't broke...

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I pray it won't happen.
    I don't mind when SF films are given new effects.
    Why in hell does Indy need new effects?
    There is no need for CGI in these films at all.
    No need to do this to Raiders.
    The picture quality on DVD is perfect.
    I'm glad I have the original copies on DVD already.

Terrible idea

-Seldon

6. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    The movie is near perfect.To make it truly perfect they should:

1. Digitally remove the cobra's reflection in the Well Of Souls scenes.

2. Digitally remove the (very visible) hydraulic lift under the truck that turns over and blows up (the one that has the basket that Marion is supposed to be in).

3. STOP!!!

7. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I talked to Paramount a day ago, and they were shocked to hear this news.

They have no clue where that news came from.

So we all should be relieved that steven wont mess up the raider's original magic

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > 1. Digitally remove the cobra's reflection in the Well Of Souls scenes.

2. Digitally remove the (very visible) hydraulic lift under the truck that turns over and blows up (the one that has the basket that Marion is supposed to be in). <

Didn't they do both of these things (definitely. #1) for the recent DVDs?

9. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
  10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I can't see the reflection on my DVDs.
    They say in the documentry that if you look real close you may spot it.
    I have never seen it.
    It is such a small minor detail whether it was there or not.

-Seldon

11. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Just one question about the site, Where's the X

12. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    There is no need for a Special Edition for Raiders of The Lost Ark or any other Indiana Jones flim.

13. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I've seen and read Spielberg commenting on Indy 4 a few times recently, but I think the Raiders Special Edition thing is bogus. Total Film is not as reliable as, say, Empire magazine.

14. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I don't think that they should change anything, but if they did release it on DVD, hopefully they would be smart enough to put some deleted scenes and an audio commentary, I was quite suprised that the recent DVD collection didn't have any of those.

15. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Spielberg isn't a fan of audio commentaries.

I definitely wouldn't mind hearing a cast/crew audio commentary on each of the Indy DVDs, though.

16. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    There will ofcourse be an HD-DVD version in the future

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.