main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rank the Comics of the New Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darkslayer, May 26, 2017.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    1. Vader
    2. Lando
    3. Doctor Aphra
    4. Han Solo
    5. Poe Dameron
    6. Star Wars

The rest I'm sort of just neutral to meh on, and haven't read Vader vol. 2 yet.

2. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    As a completist, I've got them all in TPB so far, but the only one I won't be hurrying back to re-read is Yoda's Secret War.

3. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Top best
    Darth Vader
    Doctor Aphra
    Son of Dathomir
    Main SW book

Okay ones
    Kanan
    Shattered Empire
    Lando
    Poe

Worst
    Leia

Never let Waid write Leia or any SW book ever again.

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Darth Vader (the 1st series)
    Lando
    Kanan
    Obi Wan & Anakin
    Star Wars
    Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir
    Shattered Empire
    Princess Leia
    Chewbacca

5. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Kanan Vol. 1: The Last Padawan (One of my favorite arcs of any ongoing series so far.)
    Darth Vader Vol. 4: End of Games (This made me wish Darth Vader had continued on hunting the Rebels all the way to Hoth. Look forward to getting into the new series.)
    Star Wars Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes (This really kicked off the line for me. The art was great and story really did it for me.)
    Darth Vader Vol. 1: Vader (With Star Wars, I really thought it was a good way to kick Marvel's run off.)
    Vader Down (This was a great culmination of everything we had seen so far in SW and DV)
    Kanan Vol. 2: First Blood (Good prequel to TLP. It was good but not a good as before)
    Star Wars Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger (The most interesting thing about this arc was the introduction of SCAR squad. Hope to see even more)
    Star Wars Vol. 5: Yoda's Secret War (I was really looking forward to his one. Hoped to see more Jedi stuff but just an adventure.)
    Star Wars Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon (I liked this was a good continuation from what we got before.)
    Darth Vader Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets (I thought we got a bit of a sag in the Vader series here.)
    Darth Vader Vol. 3: The Shu-Torun War (Better than DV 2 but not as good as Vader Down)
    Star Wars Vol. 3: Rebel Jail (Same with DV 3)
    Poe Dameron Vol. 1: Black Squadron (I was really looking forward to this one but not a fan.)

Han Solo (This was the most beautiful looking art Marvel has released with Star Wars.)
    Lando (This was one of the most interesting miniseries we've gotten. I personally just didn't like the art.)
    Obi-Wan & Anakin (I was hoping for a lot more Jedi stuff in this one but it was cool to see an adventure.)
    Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (Dark Horse's last miniseries. They also went out with a whimper. It was fine for what it was. I would like a sequel: Siege of Mandalore.)
    Shattered Empire (I was really looking forward to this one. However, there was no payoff.)
    Princess Leia (This was pretty underwhelming for Marvel's first miniseries.)
    Chewbacca (The art style was interesting but it did not do much for me in terms of reading.)

C-3PO: The Phantom Limb (I didn't like the art and the story was not worth telling.)

6. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Darth Vader (2015) - While I admit I do find Aphra to be a bit overrated I loved the plotline and the intrigue in the story. Volume 4 End of Games was amazing.
    Kanan - Again I loved this one too. The only complaint I have is that I wish it was as long as the Vader series.
    Vader Down - The action was good (it reminded me a bit of the CW microseries a bit) but with it being in the middle of the Vader series I wanted to get back to the Imperial plotting.
    Obi-Wan and Anakin - The actual story is forgettable but the flashback scenes are great. The Palpatine scenes in particular.
    Shattered Empire - Short but sweet. The art is nice and I hope we see more of Shara again. Personally I enjoyed this more than Aftermath and Life Debt.
    Lando - This one was highly recommend to me but it it was a bit too weird for my tastes. I liked the first part with Lando stealing the yacht but after that it was just bizzare. Which is a shame because it started out well.

7. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    I've been including the comics in the Rank the Novels thread.

So far all I've read is C-3PO: The Phantom Limb and Princess Leia 1-5.

LOVED Phantom Limb. For a story that didn't need to be told about a character that I never viewed as being able to carry his own tale, I quite liked it. It was an interesting look into what it means to be a droid in the Star Wars Universe and how they feel about it.

Leia was so-so and honestly, disappointing. Unlike Phantom Limb, it starred a character I absolutely wanted to see front and center with a story that was interesting from the onset. Leia saving Alderaanian refugees?! Cool! But the way the story played out was just so underwhelming and uninteresting. Nothing of intrigue happened and Leia never felt like Leia the entire time I was reading it.

I've got Darth Vader Vols 1 and 2 up next as well as Vol 1 and 2 of the main Star Wars series. I also wanted to check out Chewbacca, Lando, and Kanan as well.

spicer likes this.
  8. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    ForcePushUp After you read the Vader series (1-25), you will definitely want to read the Doctor Aphra series. It is excellent.

ForcePushUp and spicer like this.
  9. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    In a certain sense the Darth Vader run will likely continue until Hoth. Doctor Aphra is a continuation of the run and the creative team are taking over the main Star Wars title. We are going to get those same plot points one way or another.

Also, I'll rank the title in terms of how they have been recently)

Doctor Aphra
    Darth Vader (Soule's run has been surprisingly good)
    Darth Maul
    Poe Dameron
    Star Wars

Jedha John likes this.