main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read Star Wars Gamer for the galaxy information? You might want to see this...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Moridin, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    Hey guys,

I know a lot of you Lit fans read Star Wars Gamer for the information provided about the Star Wars Universe. Well, I've gotten issue #9, and I've got some bad news. It seems that they'll be expanding the coverage of the TCG and video games, reducing the number of roleplaying articles which provide the meat of the information that non-gamers like yourselves enjoy. If you would, surf on over to this link, read my argument, and then reply or e-mail WotC with your feelings on it if you agree.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Damn them. Then they get enough of complaints from those people that said that it was too much already? I personally didn't think that it was bad how they have it currently, but if they do this it will make it bad. Those previous complainers complaints are going to grow even further.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Gamer seems to be heading down the same route as Star Wars Tales. An occasionally good article is contained in each issue, but overall, there's been nothing very great since last summer. I think that they reached a zenith with issue 5.

I suggest that they add 10-15 more pages per issue. The last issue did in fact have an extra 30 pages or so, IIRC.

4. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    This is really pissing me off. I will cancel my subscription to it if this is the case... I will not play that new CCG game and I want more EU stuff... If only we could get the adventure journal.....

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    "What an interesting smell you've discovered."

[face_plain] Freakin' A. This news is about as enjoyable as the news that Infinities would be given a wider scope beyond the Infinities mini-series. Stuff like this makes my jangos ache. [face_plain]

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    "What an interesting smell you've discovered."

Freakin' A. This news is about as enjoyable as the news that Infinities would be given a wider scope beyond the Infinities mini-series. Stuff like this makes my jangos ache.

:D :D :D

Tell it like it is!

7. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    As long as its on RPG-type games and not... strategy games... its a-okay. MMORPGs are RPGs, ya know. And flight combat sims and third and first person things are role playing at least. RTS games tell a story through major events that you control. Not exactly the same.

And I enjoy the little RPG stats they have for parts of games. Like Nim and his ship from Starfighter, Naboo and Trade Federation ships from Battle for Naboo, and all that stuff they had from Galaxies awhile back.

Too me, Galaxies and Knights of the Old Republic should not only be included, they should be almost top priority in some cases. They are RPG, not the same as the RPG game, but still. And games are as big a resorce for new Star Wars fodder as the novels and comics and source material. Games have their spot, and if it grows from time to time, so be it.

But I seem to be all alone here. Maybe I should know the specifics, but the change dosn't bother me much. As long as I get my fiction and my info, which I am sure I will receive.

They could just make the mag a bit bigger, ad a buck or two to the cover price, and get a bit more content for each section in each issue. Ohh well, thats probably complicated.

8. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    What I wouldn't give for a new Adventure Journal...

9. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    Thanks to everyone for their support! Here's hoping the Gamer crew reads the boards. And keep adding your thoughts on that thread.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Up to compare with latest information.

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That was nothing. This is attrocius.

12. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I don't want more coverage of video games. I'd be extremely pleased to see that coverage reduced in favor of more fiction and RPG articles.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It may perhaps be tied together on some level though.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. But, as long as Keyes novel gets published somehow, I'll be happy.

15. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

As long as its on RPG-type games and not... strategy games... its a-okay. MMORPGs are RPGs, ya know.

For the imaginationally-challenged, maybe. I'll take a well run RPG with a good Gm ANY day of the week.

As for the Massively Multi-Player crapola, yeah, there's nothing I like more than watching 50 loser guys hit on the 2 girls in the entire place.

And flight combat sims and third and first person things are role playing at least.

You aren't really playing a role, rather directing the actions of a character, a major difference, IMO.

RTS games tell a story through major events that you control. Not exactly the same.

In the comparison to Outcast or Starfighter, they are exactly the same. What is the real difference in moving Jim Rayor through a Starcraft map, interacting with his environment in a limited way, attacking Zerg units then sitting back and listening to pre recorded diolog to that of directing Kyle Katarn through an Outcast map interacting with his environment in a limited way, attacking Stormtroopers then sitting back and listening to pre recorded diolog, other than perspective? Right, nothing.

If this is their decision for Gamer, then perhaps they should split it into two magazines. One for video games and one for RPGs and CCGs.

Better still, why not keep it all together and just increase the quality and make it more widely accessable to more people.

16. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I did go back and read Moridin's thread on the Wizards boards, and then I hit myself in the head. So stupid of me reasponding without actually reading into everything.

But, habit you know.

17. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    ::shrugs:: I've got no problem with the changes.

18. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Wow, kind of a nifty landslide on the ol' feedback page. Nice job, Moridin for bringing this to our attention. I agree with your stance completely- I want MORE role playing and Expanded Universe stuff, not less.

WotC probably did a demographic study and found out there are still Star Wars fans not reading it. Well, maybe if it wasn't so damn expensive or hard to find, more people would read it. I have heard a lot of people complain that it's hard to find, so maybe they should look at their distribution rather than content as the problem.

19. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I see it in nearly every bookstore these days. It was just the first 2 issues that I could never find, and that cover price is attrocious. I'm glad I subscribe. Er, subscribed... :(

20. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Sturm,

You live in California, and you can get ANYTHING there, so I am not surprised you can find. I live in Minneapolis, and I have seen it regularly in 2 stores, both of which are gaming shops. None of the book stores I have been in carry it. $7.00 for 100 page mag, eeesh. Of course, I can't complain, I get the Star Trek magazine and that's almost $10 an issue.

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    sigh, :(.

22. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Man we need an EU magazine, I could write a column!

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    We do need an EU mag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.