main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Relationships

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tatooine Twilight Twins, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I don't think what is shown at CinemaCon is the official billing of a film. The billing for TFA was Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Isaac, in that order. I expect similar for TLJ. Poe was a supporting character who was actually supposed to die early in TFA and disappeared for a large chunk of the film. I do expect him to have a larger role in TLJ, but Kylo is the Skywalker; ergo, he's one of the three main characters.

[​IMG]

Then there's this.

[​IMG]

2. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    According to Rian Johnson, Rey, Finn, and Poe are the characters whose challenges will be the focus of The Last Jedi. That makes them our main characters.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-episode-viii-rian-johnson-1201956588/

Jacques who and sharasbeys like this.
  3. Classified8

Jun 8, 2016
    Nowhere in that quote does he say Rey, Finn, and Poe's challenges will be the focus of The Last Jedi.. It just says that he wants to challenge those characters. You put in the part about "focus", not Rian.

4. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    With Poe, Abrams originally intended to have him killed off early in the film but then changed his mind which is why we see his unexplained return later in the movie. Had Abrams not planned to write Poe out of the movie, we probably would have seen him have a bigger role in the movie which is unfortunate because I think it would've been fun to have scenes with him and Han Solo.

5. Classified8

Jun 8, 2016
    I like him too and I'm glad he survived. I just believe the trilogy was already planned out with three main characters. It will be interesting to see how they integrate Poe if, as I assume, he has a larger role in TLJ.

6. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    "Dig[ging] into what really makes [a character] tick" is the same thing as focusing on a character. Rey, Finn, and Poe are the characters Rian is digging into.

Luke is a supporting character in Rey's arc, which is why Mark warned us that his backstory would not be delved into in TLJ and would instead be explored in comic books and novels. Kylo is the antagonist in Rey's arc, and will therefore likely have less focus than the hero characters, which is why Rian didn't mention him. That is why they were on the poster, because of how they serve Rey's story in TLJ, not because they are some kind of trio.

Rey, Finn, and Poe are the three protagonists, leading three separate storylines, and the challenges Rian gives them is what will drive those three arcs.

Jacques who and sharasbeys like this.
  7. sharasbeys

sharasbeys Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 10, 2016
    Kthru12 I agree with literally everything you're saying here. Just because Kylo is the Skywalker doesn't mean he's a main character, and the teaser poster certainly doesn't point to that being the trio for TLJ. There's also Rian's notes from his first phone call about TFA and TLJ that he posted on Instagram where he's written down Rey, Finn, and Poe. These are the main protagonists, with Kylo serving as an antagonist. That doesn't mean Kylo isn't important, but Rey, Finn, and Poe are the main character trio.

Jacques who likes this.
  8. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I absolutely agree with Kthru12 and sharasbeys. I would even argue that Kylo is a main character, just not part of the hero triad. His being a Skywalker doesn't automatically make him a main character. Especially now that Luke is back and Rey could possibly be his daughter. In which case, the teaser poster could all be 'Skywalkers' and their respective positions within the Force. Pretty cool.

sharasbeys likes this.
  9. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Hilarious. So Kylo is not one of the main characters even though he's a Skywalker but KK's and Iger's quotes that this is "the Skywalker family saga" have been quoted over and over around here when that is used to prove something else. This is the Skywalker family saga and as per Story Group members Pablo and Matt Martin, Kylo is the Skywalker in TFA and fulfills the requirement for this being the Skywalker Saga. Grand romance between Anakin and Padme and grand romance between Han and Leia led to his birth. It's his story because it's his family. It's his saga. End of.

Also, they say the heroes will be challenged cause that's not a spoiler, but you bet that putting the antagonist on the same island with his uncle and Rey is actually bigger challenge for him than Poe butting heads with Holdo is for Poe. The former has high emotional resonance, the latter doesn't. When the movie's seen, you know which one will be discussed forever and which one won't.

So that isn't something that Rian would talk about. It's like when Rian talks about Luke and Rey because we know they are on the island together. he doesn't talk about Kylo because it's a spoiler that he visits them. We know stuff thanks to MSW but most people who will see the movie don't so the director acts accordingly.

10. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016

Literally no one is saying Kylo isn't important...? Just because he's not a protagonist, but rather the antagonist, doesn't mean he's not important. Vader was the antagonist of the OT, and was still an important character. And it's not his saga, but rather multiple characters' story. Rey, Finn, and Poe are all important too. Kylo isn't the sole main character.

I'll even amend my earlier statements to say the main characters are Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo, but I don't believe he's part of a trio. I wouldn't say that's my biases but rather a reading based on TFA and literally every other interview given by JJ, Kathleen, Rian, and even Oscar (who I doubt was lied to about the size and importance of his role).

11. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I see and agreed.

I don't think that there will ever be a proper trio (Harry Potter-like) unless Finn, Rose and Poe are one. Which is fine by me cause I find trios to be overrated and I hope SW moves away from that format. Mixing and matching people, mixing and matching duos, trios, 4somes 5somes, etc keeps things exciting. personally, I hope they take Finn and Kylo relationship somewhere. They started with Kylo letting him go despite obviously knowing that he disobeyed and then getting angry that doing so started a chain of events and ending up injuring Finn. Since Finn's Rey's best friend and Rey and Kylo have intertwined destinies very likely connected to bringing the balance to the Force, Finn and Kylo have to resolve whatever they have to resolve because they and Luke are most important in Rey's life for different reasons.

12. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016
    See, I'm in the camp that Finn shouldn't forgive Kylo, and I hope he doesn't. Between what the First Order, which Kylo is a part of, did to him and what Kylo himself personally did to him (and to Rey, and to Han, and to Poe), would make Finn not particularly warm up to Kylo. I see it as a relationship similar to Leia and Vader, where no matter what redemption Kylo goes through (if he does have one) Finn still never forgives him. Which makes sense with how the new canon has been playing with the ideas of redemption and forgiveness. Just because one is redeemed or trying to make amends doesn't mean that everyone has to forgive them.

That said, if Kylo does make strides towards a redemption arc, I would love to see him and Finn having to grudgingly work together. John and Adam would play it so well.

13. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017

I agree. Having everyone begrudgingly working with Kylo because he's working towards redemption could be great.

14. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    It isn't about forgiveness but grudging working together, for the common goal and for Rey. Working together =/ = forgiveness. It's simply a new, potentially interesting dynamics that SW movies haven't done before.

15. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016
    I must've misread your post then - I'm all for grudgingly working together.

On the subject of relationships, I read a "leak" (from reddit so probably/definitely not true) where Poe enlists Rose's help to get a comatose Finn off of the Resistance base during a First Order attack. I'd love that honestly - I know KMT hasn't spoken about working with Oscar yet but I do hope Rose and Poe share a couple scenes. At the very least, they can bond over their shared BFF Finn ;)

16. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    That "leak" doesn't match MSW spoiler that when Finn's taken out of bacta suit, he's in better shape than ever, what we jokingly call Captain America body. :) Also, the "leak" doesn't mention Finn being popular (John's interview). So don't believe it cause it appears very fake, but it makes sense that all 3 work together at least in the beginning. It's hard to justify why Poe wouldn't know that Rose went on a mission with Finn.

17. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016
    Lol I can't wait for Captain Finnmerica (if I am biased, it's in favor of Finn). And I'm excited for them all to work together - John and Oscar have excellent chemistry (and before anyone accuses me of it I mean as brothers in arms, not romantic styles this time) and Kelly is already such a sunbeam. The three of them would make an awesome team.

18. Classified8

Jun 8, 2016
    At the start of all this Kathleen Kennedy said this trilogy would be the continuing intergenerational saga of the Skywalker family. The only confirmed Skywalker among this new generation of characters is Kylo. So no, I don't agree that he's an adjunct to Rey's arc; he is one of the main characters with an arc of his own. No matter what Rey's origins turn out to be, Kylo is a Skywalker and therefore a main character. Rian saying that he's going to dig into the characters of Rey, Finn, and Poe is not the same as saying the movie's focus is on them. He didn't use those terms; only you did.

19. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    @sharasbeysbay Finnmerica better be shirtless when taken out of bacta. [face_dancing] I'd never forgive them if he isn't. [face_not_talking]

20. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016
    A little eye candy never hurt anyone tbh ;) but this isn't the Finn appreciation thread so I'll keep things on topic and say that two of the relationships I'm looking forward to most are Finn and Leia and Poe and Leia. If Rey is being mentored by Luke, I wonder if Finn will be mentored by Leia and it'll be a sort of parallel there.

21. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016

I think Leia/Finn mentorship is going to be more loose cause we know that Finn will be on at least 2 missions (Canto Bight and star destroyer). While Rey and Luke seem to be more of a classic, tight mentorship. However, it sounds like Finn will be a sorta mentor to Rose cause they say he'll help her figure out her place.

22. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016

Oh Finn/Rose. I'm so excited to see how that relationship develops. Kelly and John have amazing chemistry. But I do hope we see her interact with other characters as well. A Rose and Leia scene would be wonderful but I'm not getting my hopes up too high (now Rose and Luke on the other hand, that one I'm really hoping for, but that ties into my elaborate Rose theory I've had for a while)

23. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    I think that interaction between Rose and Poe is a given cause he is her and Finn's boss. So he would have to at least brief them or get briefed. Ditto Leia. She'll have scenes with Finn because he's their FO asset, but if Rose is officially involved in the mission (though first time is probably going to be something not legal - swept in by chance or joined on her own without approval or whatever) or did well unexpectedly, Leia may have a moment where she praises or scolds her or something. Also, they could also have scenes with Holdo since she'll be the new Admiral. Likely not as many as Poe since she is his foe but the Resistance gang could interact in many directions. We know that Finn and Rose definitely have interactions with DJ, the Slicer, Phasma, and Executioner Storm Trooper.

if there's any interaction with Luke and Rey (and possibly Kylo cause he's with them), I stick to my theory that FinnRose's star destroyer is sent to Ahch-to, until proven wrong by MSW. :) And that's how 2 plots converge IMO. Star Destroyer sounds like a third act thing based on the clapboard number (around 2 hour mark). So climax of the movie. I'm just flipflopping on whether they are on Snoke's star destroyer or regular one.

24. sharasbeys

Mar 10, 2016
    hana_solo I wonder how Poe's story will overlap with the Finn/Rose plot at the climax of the film. As much as it pains me to say it as a FinnRey fan, I doubt they'll find each other until the very end of the film if Rey returns to the Resistance. I'm guessing we'll see some sort of Finn, Rose, and Poe vs. the First Order stuff and Rey and Luke vs. Kylo, Force-centric climax.

25. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think the friendships will for sure be expanded upon especially the rey/finn friendship.