main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Repost: OFFENSIVE MISUSE of title ability by the Administration

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wattowatta, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    If I recall correctly, IGN and TF.n get money from ads. Their continued influx of revenue equates to their continued existence, which translates into Neck continually telling us what he had for lunch today with crazy colors on his title.

2. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    *sigh*

I'm out. Been in too many Internet Dramas lately here on good ole TFN. ;)

JMA

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    TF.N, not JC.N ;)

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Useless piece of trivia of the day: Dink is a character in Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (Hugo and Nebula winner), Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon.

5. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    If TF.n goes, it's not like this place is going to survive for very long, Reap.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    sigh, it's sad when someone has a problem here, they immediately get barraged w/ sarcasm from other posters. that's what i'm sick of.

7. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
  8. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    TF.N, not JC.N

haha, yeah, thanks Reaper.

[face_laugh]

JMA

9. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "Couldn't have picked a more convincing topic?"

Do you see my name at the top of this thread? I didn't pick this topic, I just happen to agree with the point being made against the offending mod.

10. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    LOL at Reaperfett. [face_laugh]

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Look, the issue isn't about racial slurs. The title was an insult long before anyone pointed out it also happened to be a racist term. Durr.

12. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    oh yes, Reaper's post had to be the funniest post ever! [face_plain]

13. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    The only thing that bothers me here is a mod NOT realizing that this was going to cause problems. DP obviously has a huge "following" at the JC. Did you honestly think he wouldn't make a huge deal out of this? It would have been MUCH smarter to either test it on someone like barry or give a mod's sock access to MSHQ, post in there, and test it. Or, hey, there's an entire THREAD for practicing markups in Welcome New Users. Why not test it on your own username in there?

14. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Does anyone really care about the titles? If the mods want to use them for practical purposes, that's great. If they want to use them for fun, that's their agenda. I think a mountain's being made out of a molehill here... if you don't like what a mod does with the titles then send them a PM. They won't mind. They'll listen.

15. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    I don't think anyone really wanted the damn things in the first place, Maddux.

16. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    The molehill is just the top of the mountain, Greg.

17. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    To be quite honest, no, I couldnt care less. I care about as much about that as when one Mod had an icon saying poop :)

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    i care. i think the mods have too many things over regular posters.

19. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    "I don't think anyone really wanted the damn things in the first place, Maddux."

I gotta disagree with you there. The advantage to titles is we can get rid of all the superfluous Admin and City Rep icons ...and save roughly 250K of server space... Okay, bad example. But I still think the titles are useful.

20. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    normal posters dont have to come in here to see thread after thread having a go at them.

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I don't understand what you're trying to say, Reaper.

22. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Now........I have to see both sides here.

Lord Bane and I talked about this kinda thing (how sometimes mods will all attempt to sweep things under the rug and invalidate complaints, no matter how legit), and this is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

First off, it's not the END OF THE WORLD that they did it. It's a misstep, but not an earth-shattering abuse of power, like Wattowatta (who seems to be orating to an invisible room of constituents or something in his posts) seems to think it is.

It's also not "nothing at all" as a few mods and members have stated. To see mod after mod come in and say "I'd never heard of it being a racial slur, this is a big shock to me" when in fact it's quite common knowledge that it's a slur on the Vietnamese (haven't you people ever seen Platoon or anything?), is pretty annoying to me. It's really common knowledge, the racial slur deal, and I don't think I'm giving people too much credit when I expect them to recognize it as a slur.

Anyway, my advice, unimportant tho it is, would be to just apologize publicly for doing it, never do it again, and stop arguing about it. Because in an argument like this, you get overreacting mod-haters quarrelling with underreating mods and mod defenders, and the end result is more division between them.

Thanks. Have a nice day.

23. Wattowatta

Jan 5, 2000
    Reap, has the thought occured to if the mods did their jobs the way they're supposed to, we wouldn't have to gripe and bitch about this stuff?

24. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    I was replying to tunik

Reap, has the thought occured to if the mods did their jobs the way they're supposed to, we wouldn't have to gripe and bitch about this stuff?

No, because all I see do a good job. Doesnt matter what happens, someones always there waiting to have a go at "them in charge"

25. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    but if that were the case, we'd never see Internet_Drama again! [face_shocked]

:_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.