main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Retiring

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    To my fellow SMTers,

As most of you already know, I've burned the candle of leadership down to the nub over the past three years as President of the SMT. I've put in countless hours and spent thousands of dollars in my efforts to make this club as enjoyable as possible for all, both for individual members and the club as a whole. In the process, however, I've often failed to make it entirely enjoyable for myself, which has become apparent to myself and several others in recent times.

I have come to realize that the SMT is like any organization- it runs upon the efforts of a dedicated few. These dedicated few have been the ones whom I have come to rely upon for the maintenance of this club, and it is has been upon these same handful of people that, like myself, the vast majority of all the work has fallen. I have come to absolutely loathe the fact that I have to call upon these people again and again to take care of everything for the entire group, and it because of this that I have undertaken so many efforts myself in fear of burning out these charitable, diehard members who give so selflessly in the name of the entire SMT. This is the reason why I took it upon myself to take care of so much instead of delegating responsibility to others. This is my flaw- my failure. It is my job, though, to see that everything is taken care of as planned. Leadership sometimes asks that nothing is left to chance when things need to be done.

I had hoped this problem would subside as the club grew. Unfortunately, this hasn't been the case. I had hoped all my hard work would bring in many more fans. Apparently, my efforts are in vain, which makes me feel that they're not what this club needs after all. Also, in light of recent individuals- whom we will not name- who have come and gone, I've also come to the point where I am of two minds about our growth: Part of me wants to bring in new fans, while the other part of me cringes at the thought of just who may end up a part of this club. This is not a good line of thought for someone who should be leading this club.

Finally, and most frankly, I'm beginning to feel that a lot of my efforts are unappreciated by a lot of our members. I don't think some of you realize the amount of work that goes into even the more "simple" events which I have hosted. With the recent reaction by many of you to the cancellation of Vaderpalooza, I'm starting to see that my feelings are not entirely unfounded. I don't wish to offend anyone, but I don't think many of you truly understand what it takes to put events like "Drive-In Nights" and The SMT Masquerade together. However, I know that I have a tendency to go overboard, so I am most to blame for letting the benchmark be raised continuously to levels that are harder and harder to achieve. Therefore, by removing myself from the responsibility of leadership, I will be removing the flame to which the moth is attracted, so to speak.

Sadly, I feel that the time for my departure has come, and that my retirement is well-earned. So, as of November 30th, I will be stepping down as President of the SMT. Starting Tuesday, November 1st, I ask that we move to begin special election procedures to find my replacement. Any candidate who wishes to take my place should let their intention to run be known as soon as possible.

I can only hope that I have left some big shoes to fill after the past three years. But, I am confident that a new leader will take this group to levels that I have been unable to achieve.

Thank you.

-Tim

2. Valeska

Valeska Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I understand and support your decision to retire. I doubt we will find anyone as charitable and charismatic as Tim to run our club but he has as much right, actually more since he has put so much into it, to enjoy himself without the corresponding headaches of leadership. I fully support Tim's decision and any detractors can contact me to be set straight.

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    You've done an amazing job, Tim! This is a wonderful group of fans and friends; and our events are the envy of many a FanForce. You should be very proud. =D=

This has been an extremely busy year. You've planned and/or facilitated events surrounding/involving: various Costumed events/charities, MidSouthCon, Celebration III, pre-ROTS and ROTS release hype, I lost count of how many Drive-In Nights, the Masquerade, and TimmyCon. Don't be so hard on yourself - nobody could keep up that pace! [:D]

I, for one, am honored to be part of this group and hope for many good things in the future that can now be built on the foundation you've established.

@};-

4. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    Tim, I cannot say any more than what others have said. I will support your decision to retire and hope that you can have a chance to just rest and enjoy what the group was founded on. Part of me believes that most of us have forgotten what this SMT was origionally based as. Nothing more than a group of friends sharing what they love the most. You raised a monster screen to give us something to watch. You organized costuming that most of us would not have started without you. You brought about the by-laws and club dues which as a club grows, is needed. The gears are turning, the die is cast. Sit back enjoy.

"J"

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm very proud of what I've accomplished here at the SMT, and I hope that we are still in our infancy. I hope the groundwork I've laid will be fruitful for those who follow, and that we shall continue to thrive for years to come. I'm looking forward now to sitting back and enjoying the fruits of my labor for a while. I'm very ready to move over to the passenger's seat. (You know you can take a snooze there when you want to!)

6. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003

You just better make sure Kevin isn't driving or you may hear the loud sounds of rumble strips and screaming as you drift off to sleep!

Tim, I would tell you I told you so, but I don't listen to myself or anyone else when they tell me that!

You've done a heck of a job keeping the club going, and I've enjoyed being a part of it. You guys (and gals) were a blast to hang with at the MSC costume contest, and have been my friends ever since.

You're a perfectionist. I can relate. When you want something done right you end up doing it yourself- nothing half-assed, either ful-assed or nothing! ;)

Every club I've been a part of or worked with has some who go above and beyond the call of duty, others who just show up, and others you wonder if they still are members.

Sit back, rest, and enjoy. You've done good.

Martini anyone..?

Lin

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Did someone say martini?

Just promise me that you'll do Adam West impersonations while we're driving along, Lin.

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree, Tim. I think you deserve the rest and you've left big shoes to fill. I'm not sure if we need a Co-CR, most of my contributions have been monetary/administrative, but that position would also need to be put on the ballot. I count my years as wonderful ones, also. You guys are a great group and I'm sure your new leaders will do wonderful. I'll still hold functions at my house, I'm always up for a good party, and you guys will always be friends.

Party on, Garth. [face_peace]

9. DarthToddy

DarthToddy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2004
    Cheers to Tim and Traci....for all the great things Tim has done.....there was a good and patient woman to support him!!! cheers to both!!!

10. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    Oh yes! Thank you Traci! Without your patience and support we wouldn't have the events that Tim planned so thoroughly! [:D]

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, y'all have no idea....

Traci has been the one slaving to straighten up the house while I've been doing setup all these years. Plus, she's played second string to my commitments to the SMT much too often. Really, she deserves as much credit as I for what we've accomplished.

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [face_blush]

Thanks!

[:D]

The first question we'd get from a marriage counselor: "What's a 'Drive In Night'? And why does your wife's eye start to twitch every time you mention it?"

8-}

[face_laugh]

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Too true. Too true.

14. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    Remember all good things come to an end.

The Rebels blew up the Death Star . . . twice.

Seriously, Tim, Traci, Rhonda, and Lin thanks for all your hard work. I'm buying you guys and a round of margaritas!

[face_dancing]

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Margaritas, eh?

We are so there!

16. Valeska

Oct 30, 2004
    We can do it Sat after the con. It'll be my b-day and like most hobbits, I like to treat on my b-day. [face_dancing]

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    So how ARE things in Fan Force land this lovely day?

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Heh.

Where's your other persona, Roo? You know... the one that usually shows up right about now?

19. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    I just heard the news. 'Tis a sad day, but I certainly understand how and why you came to this descion. Although our own group hasn't been around as long as this one, I can see some early signs of what you speak about. All I can hope to do is learn from what you were talking about and either try and steer around those obsticles (if there even is a way) or "retire" as well. Anyway, it sounds like this group does have some great solid members. So... I hope the SMT lives on and that other members step up to the plate to take on some responsibility.

Good luck! [:D]

20. DRAMA

DRAMA Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2004
    Ah, I knew I heard you guys callin'. I just love this place.

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Come get yer tehdrama.... Hot off the grill!

22. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    you know, I'm not a big fan of DRAMA. Personally I can live without it. So if you guys don't mind... please pass the remote.

23. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    I really love that album from YES. Highly underrated, but DRAMA is a really good listen. ;)

24. Echo7Solo

Echo7Solo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 10, 2005
    I was going to pick on you about listening to YES but then I remembered that Chicago is one of my favorite bands.

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Aw, now... Come on....

That Peter Cetera... He was one bad mother...

WATCH YO' MOUTH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.