main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba'sFirstCousin72

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 21, 2017
    And now we're back to the Adam and Eve parallel. As being the first of the new thing.

2. Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker

Obi-Wan Solo-Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    Here's an even better example from a Lucasfilm film written by George Lucas, Willow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And after they threaten to kill the other a few times in one movie, this happened while they were still fighting on opposite sides.

[​IMG]

Also, the way Kylo said, "I will destroy her" was not sounding convincing even to himself.
    Which of course was followed by him looking like a sad puppy knelling.

3. milena

milena Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2018
    I think this is really interesting. This was one thing that I really found fascinating about Rey's character, how she dived into the dark side when she needed something, and we also see how the light pulls at Ben and he can't resist.

xyloren and Valency Jane like this.
  4. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Agreed, that is true. I also think that TLJ put more spotlight on Kylo's light too. For example, when you compare TFA and TLJ, he came off much better in TLJ. For one, he didn't hurt any beloved character while faceless Resistance escape pods, that he didn't want to order his troops to stop shooting, are no1curr. He choose not to kill his mom. He performed arguably the most epic/heroic act of ST so far which is cutting Snoke in half to save Rey, and than he was a part of the ST's most badass duo when he and Rey took out PG. He's canon remorseful about killing Han ("split your soul to the bone") and he didn't hate his father. He loves Rey but is terrible at expressing it cause he's a hot mess. He Force-b*tchslapped Hux. ^:)^

So, IMO, he did really well and power grab upon Snoke's death is no big deal. Definitely not even close to killing Han in TFA which was and always will be his biggest transgression. Redshirts of any kind (villagers, Resistance, etc) are no1curr. If TLJ really wanted to make him look bad than they would have him shoot Leia, kill Luke (the Projection Luke was one big Plot Armor for Kylo not to end up killing him) and Finn would have sustained some terrible visible/crippling injury. None of these happened. he didn't want to kill his mom, Luke decided to die on his own terms far away from everyone and Finn recovered fast and without any problem. In fact, his wake up was played for slapstick comedy.

5. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    Exactly. Luke told her to resist it, she did not. Then she has a conversation with shirtless Kylo where he says "let the past die" and she goes right back to that dark cave for answers about herself and her past, knowing that Luke reprimanded her for going there the first time.

6. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    This so much.

xyloren likes this.
  7. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    I always thought the problem with the prequel Jedi is that they got too far away in practice and belief from the original Jedi philosophy. They evolved into an overly ordered religion which forget its roots and original philosophy, which was about the nature and balance of the Force.

I think Rey will likely get closer to the roots of what a Jedi was originally supposed to be with her own judgement and morality and some guidance from Force ghost Luke, etc., The old texts (which predate the prequel Jedi) and whatever other lore is out there will play a part too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  8. MeadowofAshes

MeadowofAshes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2016
    Oh yeah, progenitors of the New Jedi. I love that allusion. Adam and Eve. Temptation, forbidden fruit, angry God, snake reference. They even managed to get the Tree of Knowledge in there.

9. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    YES great points! Not to mention Cassian's actions in R1 too, starting from his first scene. I like that aspect in Rebels too, with the interactions between the Ghost crew and the Mandos and others (Saw, Mon Mothma, Bendu etc.) I do think that overall the introduction of more ambiguity and sides to all this, in the last Jedi too with Rey and Ben connecting and also in DJ's character, plus Luke's whole "thinking the Jedi have a monopoly on the force is hubris" thing and Rey's whole first session with the force means more of that in 9, hopefully.

I do fear that, depending on the time jump, they may relegate the revelation to a book or something or just not address what happened when she revealed it, & make her & the Resistance one big happy family. [face_nail_biting]

Poe's route will be interesting, whether he really has learned from Holdo & Leia & restrain himself in his tactics going forward or not.
    Lol, scavenger/nobody Rey and Rey Palpatine were my two favorite parentage options after TFA. Palpy mainly because of what a wild card that would've been. :p (I was also a fan of Snoke = Darth Plaguies the wise, heh.)

Jabba'sFirstCousin72 likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I got to watch Willow one of these days.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Her advantage will be that she is studying the Jedi way for the sake of the Jedi way... and not an agent of a government or stationed on Coruscant. She does have a chance to grow as a Jedi unencumbered by all of the added ideas which come from being subject to a governing body.

civilsecret, oncafar, milena and 2 others like this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well I mean they both die so why not?

13. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    To add to this, she dived into the darkside and didn't fear it like how Luke feared it when she went straight to the dark/and not resist in Lesson 1. I think it probably says a lot about the Jedi order and their rather extreme emphasis on the "fear" aspect of it all. I think Rey can use darkside aspects to greatly benefit her but in balance within herself. We could say her fighting method greatly pulls from the "darkside", ngl i absolutely loved her battle roar and aggressive fighting style!

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On Rey and rebuilding the Order, and the PT Jedi:

I like that Luke indicated in TLJ that the Light Side of the Force is not property of one “religion,” meaning the Jedi, and the PT Jedi are great examples of a religious group that has the right idea and good intentions but becomes more and more dogmatic and inflexible over time with interpretation of those texts.

Rey has the texts, and can put her own interpretation on them.

I also like the idea of her being guided by Luke and Yoda’s ghosts. If Luke’s ghost does not appear several times in Episode IX, I’m going to be disappointed.

15. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    NO1CURR LOL

Exactly, and it hit me today that Kylo refused to kill his mom, without even knowing if she hates him :( just something sad to think about. But you're right, he really didn't kill in TLJ as much as some other characters. His TFA crimes were briefly addressed and then move along. That's why I think he can still do some amazing, heroic acts in IX and the audience will swallow down his redemption like a glass of fine wine.

16. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    That is an excellent point. That was something that I believe led to the prequel Jedi “losing their way,” so to speak.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Let's hope you are not disappointed then.

18. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Which is wonderful way to show coming of age. The young will have to disagree and break away from their elders and figure things out for themselves through trial and error. They couldn't be guided forever cause that would mean repeating the old way and that wouldn't lead to any progress. They have to move with times.

So it's perfectly reasonable, and follows coming of age steps nicely, that young Rey sided with young Ben. Young seeks young. I think that Luke figured that out at the end, that he cannot save Kylo/Ben cause someone else could. he isn't on the same wavelength with his nephew but Rey can reach him in that Ben could begin to turn back to the Light for her. And that, again, is perfect mirroring between all 3 trilogies:

Romantic love couldn't save Anakin cause it wasn't unconditional. Familial love saved Anakin cause it was unconditional.

Familial love couldn't save Ben cause it wasn't unconditional. Romantic love will save Ben cause it will be unconditional.

19. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    And it could be the same for Ben. He's not balanced right now, but once he finds his inner core and balance, he might find that things turn for the better.

20. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Rey might end up being subjected to a "governing body" in the form of the Resistance. Having to face the PT Jedi problem there might come sooner than one might think. The Resistance IS political.

21. milena

Jan 5, 2018
    In all honesty, I wouldn't mind if the whole Resistance vs FO disappeared. It's always the same fight.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He definitely would find things turning for the better.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t know why the Resistance members would try to dictate how the Jedi conduct themselves, so I don’t see Rey being subject to a governing body.

As far as the being “saved by love,” the insinuation seems to be that Padme did something wrong and that she could have “saved” Anakin if she had agreed to go along with him?

I hope I read that wrong, because that reflects pretty badly on the purpose of these characters. I thought Padme’s biggest mistake was not walking away from Anakin earlier.

I can’t imagine Rey loving Kylo more unconditionally than his family did either; if what Han displayed on that bridge in TFA was not textbook unconditional love, I don’t know what is.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    When Rey makes her new order whether that be with Kylo or not it should not be connected to a government.

25. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    That would be a terrible precedent for the new Jedi. From a storytelling prospective, it would be interesting if there was pressure from the Resistance (which wants to bring back the Republic) for Rey to do things a certain way she would push back on, but I have doubts the Resistance will be portrayed in that light in Ep. 9. We shall see.

I hope whatever new “Jedi order” is established, it is free from influence and pressure from any governmental entity such as the Resistance, the New, New Republic, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.