main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Richard Hug (and Erlich), I'm calling you out!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jansons_Funny_Twin, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I was reading the Washington Post this weekend, and I find myself extremely angered.

Article here

Richard Hug raised over $10 million for Erlich's gubernatorial campaign, and was placed on the Maryland Board of Regents (Erlich's first appointee as a matter of fact). He recently submitted a proposal to increase student tuition 100%. In other words, Richard Hug wishes to DOUBLE tuition in University of Maryland schools. That covers 13 major universities and many more community colleges. This will effectively apply to around 250,000 students. We've already had a 20% increase this year.

Do you know what Hug's reasoning for this is?

1) It will motivate students to finish their college career in 4 years.

Yeah, because people will be too poor to pay for anything more.

2) It will make Maryland schools "seem more prestigious."

"Seem more prestigious?!" Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Perhaps if they'd provide the funding, Maryland schools could actually be more prestigious, rather than just seeming prestigious.

3) It'll bring in another $600 million a year.

This assumes that all students will stay in school and that they'll continue paying full tuition. Wishful thinking.

Erlich Opposes Tuition Increase

This Sunday, Erlich said he'd oppose this. However, I just do not have faith that this man has the balls to say no to the man who raised $10 million for him.

Hug is expected to take the Chairman's seat on the Board of Regents sometime in the next year or so.

If this increase goes through, I'll have to drop out of college. Being the media fiend and rabble rouser I am, I can garauntee both Erlich and Hug will regret it come election time. 250,000 student and their parents...that can make or break an election.

Anata Baka?!

2. Solosgurl

Solosgurl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2001
    Well...we did get a tuition increase. Only 9% though, but still enough to carry on the tradition of ripping off middle class families who want to pursue an education. Thanks Bobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.