main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Rolling Stone possibly steps in it

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 17, 2013.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah ive read some pretty good serious political news from them online. better than the 24-hour media standard, anyways

2. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

because it associates them with charlize theron

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pandering to chicks who like bad boys.

4. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    True, but it's not like the 24-hour networks have set the bar high or anything . . .

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  5. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i'd be flattered

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree that they actually have some quality journalism in there, but the cover is just for monsters. Or dead Doors singers.

7. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Zimmerman needs to lose some weight and get a makeover if he wants to get on the cover.

8. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Meh. Rolling Stone has been garbage for a couple decades now anyway.

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This cover could have worked if they had used it in clear juxtaposition of how a seemingly innocent kid becomes a monster, or of how our many of our preconceived notions of terrorists are wrong.

The problem is that the article doesn't do either. It's an overly long narrative of Dzhokhar's life with hints about what drove/triggered him to an an act of terrorism. Now, in of itself, that doesn't have to necessarily be a bad thing. But it never really transcends these details. It doesn't talk about statistics or demographics of terrorists, the dangers of domestic terrorism, why people like Dzhokhar do what they do and what could be done to prevent this. It just tells a sad story of a kid. And as a result there is nothing shocking or creative about using this picture. Instead it emphasizes this image of Dzohkhar as sympathetic, and that's only going to make potential backlash against the article worse.

So for me, it's stupid journalism and it is offensive -- to my sensibilities and my intelligence.

Fail, RS, Major Fail.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's bad because it doesn't paint him as a 1-dimensional cardboard cutout Michael Bay villain?

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    imo they should have photohopped in a jagged scar on this cheek and given him a communist hat like che or mao and a possibly an eyepatch or cigar

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't know that I would ever combine the biography of a single terrorist with a broad survey of the sociological pressures that drive terrorism anyway, even if it were someone like Khalid Sheikh Muhammad or Mullah Mohammad Omar. It's just sort of unwieldy. At best, if I were writing a book length biography, it may come up as a single chapter or two in a narrative that still centers on the subject's life.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    an anthropologist would. but they'd be writing for an academic audience

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, yeah. Of course qualitative data collection and analysis has a very important place in academia.

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, if the headline had been "How did THIS become the face of terror?" or something I can see the picture working, but the problem is that that's not the headline. The headline they used is generic, and the subheadline tends to be more sympathetic than anything else -- Oh, he was popular and promising, but then some other people failed him and he fell passively into radical Islam and isn't it all tragic that he got let down by someone else, rather than the tragedy being that he made the decision to kill innocent people. Selecting the picture where he's in his Armani Exchange T-shirt, making eyes at the camera and trying to take a dreamy selfie to pick up chicks, rather than any other picture, where he still looks shockingly like a kid rather than a killer but isn't posed up like Rolling Stone is trying to sell the new bad boy cover model, is kind of tasteless. And it compounds the problem of it being the continuation of this myopic media fascination with this kid's apparent normalcy that's trying to turn the narrative into yet another lurid, maudlin personality story about a photogenic, "troubled" killer rather than about the tragedy of what he did, the victims, and the actual issues of terrorism.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Guys if you have to go through a thought obstacle course to make this cover bad, it is probably not bad.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Thought obstacle course" made me lol.

18. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, I respect creativity and freedom of the press, so I wanted to be clear why I thought this COULD have worked and been truly thought provoking and also why it wasn't.

But I'm happy to dumb it down for you: It depicts a terrorist as a troubled young musician because he looks like Jim Morrison.

After all, keeping it real, that's probably all RS really cared about.

19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    All RS really cared about was that Internet reactionistas would talk about the cover, thus leading to better exposure for RS, thus leading to more magazine sales. As this thread demonstrates, mission accomplished.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    QMOAFT

Vivec's been on fire in the last 24 hours.

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i have a distinct impression of uggo jealousy here

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    *dejectedly tips table of bomb building materials into the trash*

(lisped juicily through headgear) whasch's the use!!? ill probably never get on the cover of rolling schtone anyways...

23. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, blame the people offended, that isn't grotesque at all.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's really not what she said at all, but don't let that stop you from building the narrative that you want to -- here, I have some straw for you to use.

Ok, then why make a cover story biography of the terrorist at all? What is the goal you are driving at with the article, if not to highlight that his story is just one of many stories that could lead to domestic terrorism?

The accusation is that it's insensitive glorification of this guy -- and you're saying that of course the emphasis on his biography is important. Well, if it's not for insensitive glorification, what is that focused biography for?

Only thing worse than the "reactionistas" are those who are "too cool" to fall for it. ;)

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Let's be clear, the controversy isn't over the article. It's over the cover.