main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rule of the Strongest

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Exar Koon, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Exar Koon

Exar Koon Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2014
    I just notice the usage of both contexts in "rule" for the the Rule of Two A: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere B: exercise ultimate power or authority over

zompusbite likes this.
  2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It's relevant to the storyline of Legacy. And I'm only concerned with original timeline. Couldn't care less what Disney announces as canon.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

No; just like the Jensaarai weren't either a Sith or a Jedi sect simply because some of their teachings stemmed from both. The fact the group also doesn't identify as Sith helps, along with the fact Millenial never completed his training.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Palpatine did seem to care about the Rule of Two, even if he allowed lesser darksiders. In his fight against Maul and right after he kills Savage, he goes onto saying how there can only be two sith, and that Maul had been replaced. He also did not try to convert Anakin without having Dooku die, same goes for Luke and Vader. Perhaps if he did not care at all about the RoT, he would try to have both Dooku and Anakin, or Luke and Vader, but he always seemed to want one to off the other, and replace the others position.

Gamiel and Exar Koon like this.
  5. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    ^Very true; at every single point he could've built up his forces with powerful Force users and then played them against each other if he'd really wanted to. But he didn't. most likely because it ties back into the reasoning Bane limited the Order to 2, having multiple apprentices opens up the path to them banding together to take you down. (Which, incidentally enough, is exactly what Vader wanted to do with Luke anyways)

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I agree with Palps caring about the Rule of Two. Having multiple darksiders didn't bother him, as long as they weren't Sith, or powerful enough to be a problem. He didn't have an issue with Ventress until she grew strong enough to be a potential threat, and he made Dooku get rid of her.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    Guys lets talk mad **** about Darth Krayt.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Palpatine's dialogue in the Lawless shows that he cares a great deal about the Rule of Two.

"Remember, the first and only reality of the Sith:There can only be two. And you are no longer my apprentice. You have been replaced!"

darklordoftech and rumsmuggler like this.
  9. ExiIe

ExiIe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    The strongest was palpatines, he had the biggest strongest armies, fleets, industries, and economy in galactic history. If he had just killed the rebels, luke, and vader at endor, and used the Palpatine clone plan, he could of had sith dominance for centuries, maybe even forever.

Not really, he allowed ventress for a while and he said maul is still useful. And if you go by Eu Legends Bane said in the rule of two the apprentice must prove his strength by killing the master in a duel (he is angered that his apprentice is waiting for him to get old before striking).He wouldn't have been pleased with Palps killing Plagueis in his sleep.

Its more like the Guideline of Two since most end up breaking it

Dirtyhippie4 and Iron_lord like this.
  10. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Ventress was not a Sith, and the same goes for Maul, as he revealed he no longer considered Maul one in that very fight, and therefore Maul would've been no different than Ventress.

Vialco likes this.
  11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Perhaps we should clarify first, what makes a Sith a Sith. Because I highly doubt most of the "Sith" of Krayt's order would count as such under Banite Sith-philosophy.

12. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    This board really needs an erase-function.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    We are aware that Ventress isn't a Sith. That didn't stop Palps from accussing Dooku of training her to potentially be one and wanted her dead. As far as Maul goes, he would be a former Sith since the master demoted him and trained another apprentice.

JediMatteus likes this.
  14. ExiIe

ExiIe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    Ventress blurs the line between sith/dark jedi but Maul was clearly still a sith, he was fully trained by palpatine in the dark side of the force, and still followed the philosophy and code

rumsmuggler likes this.
  15. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

He followed the code, but wasn't part of Bane's Sith Order anymore, as Palpatine again pointed out during their confrontation. He may have considered himself a Sith, but the head of the Sith Order didn't and this was in fact the time where he specifically mentioned there can only be two Sith. rumsmuggler basically summed it up in that Palpatine's moved beyond Maul and replaced him.

16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I actually agree with a lot of what DirtyHippie4 said in that Paplatine's Empire was , in my opinion, better structured then others in that he really used the propaganda machine well and got much more loyal non-force sensitive supporters. He did much more political maneuvers to slowly turn the republic into a a Empire with few even noticing it and really expanding the empire into outer rim and wild space territory. Now as others have stated it appears Palpatine was still using the rule of two even if he went about in a different way then others so guess this might fall more into Darth Bane's Sith Order then any other. I also like the One Sith in that there was't as much backstabbing going around and Darth Krayts followers were much more loyal to him then compared to other Orders.

Dirtyhippie4 likes this.
  17. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    But that made the One Sith weak. The Old Sith had to constantly increase their influence or sheer might to protect themselves from the other Sith grabbing for power, in the One Sith this was none existent nullifying a core tenet of the Sith "We take what we desire because we can.We can because we have power. We have power because we are Sith." but this devotion to an ideal over ones self is what lead Krayt and his followers to defeat. Look at Sith lords of old and all the abilities they had Naga Sadow for instance could make illusions so powerful they began to materialize and harm actual beings, why did he know how to do this....To defend himself from those who would dethrone him. The only One Sith that even comes close to Sadow is Wyyrlock and he was killed by an even bigger loser then himself.

darth car likes this.
  18. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Good point, now that I think about it there did seem to be very few powerful one sith at least compared to older sith, really should of thought about that.

19. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    Talon was little more then a sword, Nihl was a Joke and only advantage was ganking a kill, and Krayt was on similar terms of power with Wyyrlok. Darth Stryfe however had a really cool lightsaber so I mean the One Sith has that.

20. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Honestly, what are you guys defining as "older Sith" exactly? Everything before Bane? Because it sounds like you guys are, and in that case, you'd be taking centuries upon centuries of various orders, and then comparing it to one, when in reality, very few Sith Orders have that many standouts. Hell, Exar Kun's Empire just had Kun and Uliq. Revan and Malak's just had the two of them as well. So Krayt's Order isn't really any different here. I also think you guys are underestimating Krayt by a far margin. Naga Sadow could make illusions, boosted by a ship for one, cool. Krayt could use Essence Transfer and Dark Transfer; the ability to transfer his spirit to another host and therefore survive beyond death in the right circumstances, and the ability to heal mostly any wound, as a Darksider. He also showcased the skill to touch any person who had used the Dark Side through the Force in the entire galaxy. That's ridiculous. I'd take him over Sadow any day. And just looking at Sadow's Empire, he himself was the only real standout, and I supposed you could also count the Sith Emperor as he was around during that time.

It also wasn't any ideal that led Krayt and his order to lose, it was Cade Skywalker and the rest of the galaxy uniting against them. Same goes for Naga Sadow losing, plus a betrayal from within.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Naga Sadow and his contemporaries struck me as Force users of mediocre inborn talent elevated to greater heights by the Force based techno-magic of Sith amulets and ships and the like. The society that produced them was considerably more impressive than they were, themselves.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Marka Ragnos put in motion a plan that culminated with the rise of Ulic and Kun 1000 years later. When Ragnos appeared before Kun and Ulic, the exact events that Ragnos had envisioned 1000 years earlier were coming to pass. If that's not power, I don't know what is.

23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

No he didn't. There was no such plan. Kun and Uliq, their Empire, and the Great Sith War really had nothing to do with him. All he did was get summoned by them during their duel (by accident) and proclaim them to be Sith.

24. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    And even if he did, he didn't foresee them failing.

Considering their mindset and philosophy I think the Banite-Sith are not only the strongest (as individuals), but also the "purest" (for lack of a better term) of Sith (and here I don't mean the Sith as a species). The majority of Banites might not have openly ruled the galaxy and crushed the Jedi, but as individuals they were probably on par with the likes of Exar Kun, Revan or Naga Sadow and superior to their minions, they just don't occupy the spotlight, because the circumstances during their times weren't the right ones, so they stayed in hiding.
    How far do you think Kaan's Brotherhood of Darkness would have gone, without the pre-existing Sith-fiefdoms to draw resources from? Or Exar Kun and Ulic Quel-Droma, if they hadn't subjugated a Mandalorian Horde that had been a considerable powerbloc in its own right? Revan and the Star Forge?
    Compared to that the Banites had to start from zero.

25. Exar Koon

Sep 16, 2014
    I would say the pure sith empires That of Marka Ragnos-Naga Sadow and the reemergence of that empire in the SWTOR game

I dont think Krayt really knew transfer essence otherwise he could have and should have left his parasite infested body, I think it was just a bluff.....still making Krayt a chump

darth car likes this.