main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Comparisons

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ultimateguy, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    http://quadrality.cjb.net
    click on "lightsaber comparisons"

I just tried various methods to compare.

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I use the Ryan W method because it displays fantastic results. I don't think you bosted up the red enough on vaders saber though.

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I gotta say, those three are hardly comprehensive of the entire possible gamut of saber effects possibilities.

On top of that, it would appear that you followed the instructions of each method to the letter, rather than tweaking to fit the needs of the scene.

I don't mean to come down on you, but I think if you're trying to decide between the three methods you should put a little more in rather than sell yourself short.

M. Scott

4. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    odj, I punched up the midtones and the highlights for Vader's saber to 100% each.

5. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I found that a good trick for deeper colors is to bring the OTHER levels down.

i.e. blue = red to -100, green to 0, blue to +100 for both midtones and highlights. Makes VERY AOTC-like results.

Similarly, for red, try: red to +100, green to -40, blue to -40

6. Torr

Torr Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2002
    Makes VERY AOTC-like results.

You say that like it's a good thing...

7. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    ?[face_plain]
    Isn't it?

8. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    it seems that quite a few people were displeased the way the AOTC sabers came out. The weren't feathred very much in some parts and didn't fade as gradual as they're "supposed to". Anyways...

sabers look good, but as mentioned, the methods weren't tweaked. Ryan's method can produce some astounding results with some playing around. Keep at it.

9. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    In defense of the AOTC sabers, you have to remember that ILM was working with a medium with which they had never previously worked, high-definition 24p video, FROM which they printed mainly to film.

When they tried their previously-established saber methods on the 24p footage, the sabers looked all wrong. So, they had to find the way to make it look right.

BUT, when they printed back to film, it looked wrong again. It was a lot of guesswork finding a happy medium.

ILM does a good bit more than mask feathering and color balance adjustment.

M. Scott

10. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    And you have to remember that the rotoscopers must have gotten bored. I found after I was rotoscoping my movie for a while, It got repetitive, so I did them quicker, and it didn't look as good ("shivered" too much).

Now consider the fact that the rotoscopers at ILM had 100+ sabers to do for a clip that was about what, 3,4 minutes?

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    But they get paid.

BTW Dorkman, good to know. I just hate to think the sabers there look the way they do by choice.

12. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hmmm...I use Daryls in my pics...here

[image=http://graphicd.fanshawec.on.ca/g2003/monk/Costuming/Think.jpg]

Looks different than yours showed...ah well...

Daryls looks great in motion as well

Justin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.