main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saber Parts NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Tam_Rolias, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam_Rolias

Tam_Rolias Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2002
    I'm lookign for some way to finish off constructing a custom saber, and I need to find some way of finding cheap parts or places i can get things fabricated... any help here would be greatly appreciated... btw if anyone wants a good dueling blade to put on a custom saber go here ***

No advertising - Az

2. EviL_DukKY

EviL_DukKY Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2002
    Blast-tech.com is a good site for Graphlex-type parts.

3. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Depends,...what parts do you need?

4. Tam_Rolias

Jul 3, 2002
    I'm basically looking for switches, and anywhere i can get custom machining done, or ordered online.

5. Jedi_Eoc-Lleb

Jedi_Eoc-Lleb Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I feel a disturbance in the force.....oh yes, its a moderator and a certain padawan of his comming in to edit your post/ make comments due to a link.

6. Bubba-Fatt

Bubba-Fatt Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    Lamp hardware is good and cheap. The little screws for securing glass globes are good for small buttons or adjusters. Then the larger nobs that hold the glass shade from the bottom works well for a larger button. Hardware stores have slides, toggle, and push buttons that are relatively inexpensive. I found a great red push button that I modified and will eventually use on a prop. It was at Menards for a couple of dollars.

Also, don't be afraid to cannibalize and kit bash. This is a great time for garage sales and flea markets. Why not pay 50 cents fro a flash light and then strip out the switch, reflector, spring and end cap. If the calculator is broken, use the keyboard for a Bubba Fatt...I mean Boba Fett gauntlet. Begin looking at junk for it's possibilities. Prop guys can take pen caps and buttons and make food capsules.

7. Tam_Rolias

Jul 3, 2002
    thatnks for the thrift advice on scavenging, it helps, and since tomorrow is saturday... oh hello yard sale and flea market time... BTW any help on where i can get custom machining done would be a plus... thanks

8. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    Jedi_Eoc-Lleb - I ask you and the mods - what's wrong with Blast-Tech.com? He produces and sells replica camera flash replacement parts. As far as I know, LFL doesn't own any rights to Graflex, Heiland, MPP, or any other camera flash manufacturer's equipment or parts. If he were reproducing and selling replica "lightsabers," that would be different. But we are only talking about camera flash parts at this point.

9. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    Blast-Tech is fine. LFL couldn't touch them if they wanted to.

The other one is not.

10. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    JT is correct. RE deals in copyrighted stuff. We have already said now links to those dealers.

But also, I don't approve of advertising for stuff that is not your own. If you are selling something on ebay, i have no problem with that. But advertising for Park Sabers, Yoda's house, or any dealer, legal or not, will be edited or deleted. I don't want people doing it.

Use the PM function.

11. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    I thought these forums were meant to assist each other in the building/fabricating of props and costumes? And you are telling us that we can't suggest sources of parts or other information that don't belong to us because that's advertising? I'm just confused about the purpose of the forum when the rules are so restrictive you aren't really allowed to help others.

Like I said, I can understand some vendors who are selling unlicensed props - but most of them aren't anymore. If we aren't allowed to suggest a legal vendor from personal experience or to review a vendor's work, what service are we doing the community?

You said "I don't want..." is that a board rule or a personal preference?

This is nothing personal Azeem - just trying to understand all of this better.

12. Tam_Rolias

Jul 3, 2002
    I'm not defending Azeem, but I do see the purpose in censoring some ads, it's so the big ones who aren't totally legit won't come in and do some free advertising... and if they aren't legit then that's copyright infringement... but we are doing that oursleves by making unlicensed props aren't we? ok totally rambling here, and going off on a tangent. but I would like it if we could openly trade websites... some of us amateurs might need the websites so that we can find the props we need... these forums are a great source of info for making props... But I do agree somewhat with Azeem's point...

Defying the council wishes started the clones production and the Sith revolution... so a little censorship now and then is a good thing. But I also agree there must be compromises.

P.S. I'm not a kiss-ass so don't even start ... HAHAHA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.