main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Saberfight club

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by StickmanLt, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaTrooper

SeaTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2001
    Why doesn't every on bring stunt sabres to the picnic on the 21st. We can have fights there. Stick can bring his wares for sel.
    Come to think about it Ia can bring her robes other folks can bring thier wares, I'll bring mt 8X10's for autographs or trade....
    We'll make it a Jedi Flea Market.
    Buzz

2. StickmanLt

StickmanLt Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2002
    That would be cool... I'd have to beg somebody for a ride, though. Anybody live near the UCF area? And anybody interested in chainmail armor as well as lightsabers? I make that too. :) Maybe I could get together with costuming people.

Also, on the subject of costuming, I've found that air ducts are easy to cut metal sheets that work well as arm and leg plates for custom armor. I'm using a small air duct for the base of my lightclaw that I'm designing. Only about 2.50 for the small ones at Home Depot. It's thick enough to hold its shape, but thin enough that some hammering on it can change that shape. And it's fairly easy to saw through.

StickmanLt

3. Leko

Leko Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    Stick,

I can give you a ride.
    E-mail me at rpfleming@cfl.rr.com so we can set it up.

BTW I would love some chain-mail. We can talk about it.

Leko

4. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Tomorrow's friday, the friend that I usually spar with won't be able to make it, so I'm hoping to see some new people at my place for saberfight club!

RSVP to StickmanLt@aol.com if you're coming. I'll probably be out all day frantically turning in job applications in the hopes that I can pay rent next month, so saberfight club won't start until at least after 5.

I hope to see some people there! And if you don't have your own saber, don't worry, I've got a few sitting around. And of course, I'm willing to help you make your own, or sell you one of mine. See ya there!

StickmanLt

5. SeaTrooper

SeaTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2001
    Hey,What are you guys using for stunt blades when you fight?
    I've been using 3/8 dowel rods and if that isn't what you use I am going to have to modify my stuff before we duke it out at the party.

6. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    I use 3/4 inch PVC tubes. Strong, they'll bend a little, but only enough to keep from breaking, not so much as to be seen on film... and best of all, they're hollow and therefore light enough that they simulate a weightless blade well, and they don't HURT when they hit ya, unless they get a sensitive spot.

StickmanLt

7. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Heya, just wanted to post something to bring this to the top of the list. j/k. :)

Just wanted to let everybody know that saberfight club is on, and as long as I can get to the picnic tomorrow, I'll be bringing sabers to that too. Leko, sorry I lost contact with you for a little while... my replying email bounced back to me. I just sent another one, hope you can still give me a ride. It's a little short notice... but I really had no idea what date it was until I looked at the calender today. The last couple weeks I've been spending just about every free moment looking for a job, in the hopes that I just may be able to pay rent.

Anyway, I hope to see/spar with everybody at the picnic!

StickmanLt

8. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, I didn't make it to the picnic. From what I heard, everybody had fun though. Anyway, just wanted to post and say that I FINALLY got a real job... so sabefight club might vary in time/day from week to week. I'll try to keep this post updated as soon as I know my schedules.

StickmanLt

9. Ruckus

Ruckus Jedi Master star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Isn't the first rule of Saberfight Club not to talk about Saberfight Club?

10. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Of course. Which is why I'm typing about it on the internet. I wouldn't dare talk about it.

Of course, we will have to make some rules for it...

First rule of saberfight club is you do not talk about saberfight club.
    Second rule of saberfight club... you do NOT talk about saberfight club.

Then maybe throw in a few other rules... if it's your first night, you have to fight. Keep your shirts on. Most of us are out of shape SW geeks. Nobody wants to see us with our shirts off. Ect. ect... :p

StickmanLt

11. TheSpectre

TheSpectre Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    I'll fight shirtless......
    Bring your stuff to the meeting on the 12th. It would be nice to see something finally instead of reading about.
    Besides.... I have a couple things I'd like to chat with you about.
    Buzz

12. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Oh gods no! Keep your shirt on!!!

13. TheSpectre

TheSpectre Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2002
    Naaaaaaa....... since I survived my encounter with the intestinal parasite I am feeling skinnier.
    But I see your point. It would be showing of that which none could have......
    I love being a sexy beast.

I hope no one thinks I beleive that?????

14. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm up for this... is anyone interested in this from a choreography angle? I've been doing stage combat for almost 2 years now and it's a total blast... anyone else up to writing out some fights?

-Chris

15. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm not looking at it from a strictly choreographing standpoint, but Copazie and I had a short, but very fast and cool looking intro to a fight scene planned out. He wants to make a fan film eventually, so he and I are working out some of the sabers and saberplay aspects of it ahead of time. We'd love to have other wannabe jedi involved. (Or sith, as the case may be with his fan film)

On another note, I'll TRY to make it on the 12th. I just got a new job, and I'll find out which of my managers does the schedule, and try to get that day off. Also, I'll try to get a ride with somebody. Hope to see y'all there!

StickmanLt
    (who hopes that someday soon, all this biking to and from work and saberfighting will get him into good enough shape for him to take his shirt off)

16. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    Stickman: If you're interested in seeing what we did, check out our fanfilm, "The Formula" at fanfilms.com. Lots of saber stuff there to peruse.

-Chris

17. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    I'll check it out when I get a chance... i.e., the next time I'm at my brothers' house. They have DSL and lots of harddrive space on their computers. I have a 28.8 modem, and 150 megs of harddrive space on mine. :p

Just wanna state, though, that saberfight club will probably turn more in the direction of choreographing fights once we have more members, and those members have more experience. For now, Copazie and I are just learning HOW to spar realistically. By realistically, I mean that occasionally, we get whacked in the head by an unblocked (or badly deflected) blow. :)

But for now, it's just a bunch of us learning to saberfight, having fun, getting exercise, and getting choreography ideas for fan films. (And trying not to cry like babies when our fingers get whapped.)

StickmanLt

18. Sandy

Sandy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2002
    Chris,

Are you going to be at the 12 Oct meeting?

Sandy

19. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    Afraid not. I'm still in Iowa, i won't arrive in Orlando until the night of Oct. 19th. Coincidentally, Oct. 12th is the night of my going away party. So, i'll be there in spirit anyway. Excited to meet all of you though!

-Chris

20. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Typical. I ask for Wednesday and Saturday off, my boss gives me Monday and Friday. Oh well. I won't be able to make it to the meeting, but Friday night is free for anyone who wants to come to my apartment and spar.

StickmanLt

21. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    Stickman, I know you told me safety was not a major concern for you, but just in case you might be interested....

I was looking for some things at WalMart and checking prices and they sell a "kit" in the bicycle section that has a pair of knee and elbow protectors for $16.99
    And that's the WalMart around the corner from UCF. From Alafaya, right turn onto Colonial. I'm sure you know the one.
    They slip on and they have hard plastic "caps" to protect the joints.

I didn't notice anything for hands.

22. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Actually, the only protection I'd really recommend is for fingers and face... those are the only things that I've really managed to hurt during sparring. So if you can find thick gloves, wear 'em. Or if you can find something to protect the face, go for it.

StickmanLt

23. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    Anyone know anything about the local Fencing club? I was thinking of joining up, considering i don't have much planned for activities besides school, thought it might be a great opportunity to learn. So, any heads up would be cool.

BTW, when you guys spar, do you restrict yourselves to 2-handed style like in the movies, or can people use 1-handed like rapier or smallsword?

-Chris

24. StickmanLt

Feb 20, 2002
    Copazie and I use varying styles to spar. One handed, two handed, double-sided, two sabers against one, ect. I've actually found that I'm a lot better at defending against a double-sided or two sabers at once than I am at using them, oddly enough. :) I guess I'm just better at the one-handed or two-handed single weapon style.

That, or I'm just not coordinated enough to do a double-sided or two-bladed attack form.

StickmanLt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.