main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Scottish Independence Referendum Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by G-FETT, Apr 21, 2014.

1. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    camewon cwied! yes vote died!

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why are we talking about a one eyed, left wing Scottish git?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So... We'll find out the decision on Talk like a Pirate Day?

G-FETT likes this.
  4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I normally "Flounce Out" of the JC on "Talk Like A Pirate Day" but I'll have to stick it out this time. :(

So, RBS has confirmed they are planning to leave Scotland for London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29151798

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    'tis okay. Most of it was confined to one thread last year (mine), so maybe the same will happen this year.

G-FETT likes this.
  6. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Here's hoping the result is "I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no."

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Is relocation of corporate HQ and/or registered address just a matter of where a nameplate is, as Salmond seems to be suggesting, or does it decide where the Taxes are paid?

From what I remember of the discussion about recent merger/takeover attempts, it would seem to be the latter.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Believe it protects the corporation under specific UK banking laws which may or may not be in effect if Scotland votes yes.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Media seemed surprised by the anti-English elements of the Yes! campaign :rolleyes:

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    V-2 likes this.
  11. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    You see, Scotland?! You think the English are ********s? Do yourself a favour and check out your new friends...

Edit: A thought has just occurred to me. iScotland could enter a currency union with North Korea! [face_rofl] I looked it up and apparently the North Korean currency is the Won.

Edit again: I think this nicely vindicates the Australian prime minister's view on the matter:

Souderwan and G-FETT like this.
  12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yep, all the worlds crazies will be celebrating the UK's self immolation (if it happens)

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Scotland becomes independent, how is it going to maintain its resources?

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    One eyed = irrelevant
    Left win = awesome
    Scottish = okay, I guess
    Git = speak English, please

Next question!

Darth Guy likes this.
  15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Waste piece of metal on a casting, usually the solidified contents of the pour-hole. Probable closest term in American is 'Sprue'.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    joke
    Syllabification: joke
    Pronunciation: /jōk/
    NOUN
    1. A thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline: "she was in a mood to tell jokes"

17. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

do you write for a middle school newspaper?

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Scotland beginning to step back from the brink?

YouGov/News Internatiomal

YES 48% (-3) NO 52% (+3)

Is within the 3% margin for error of course, but good to see YES have lost their lead with YouGov.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8972

The UK's best pollster, ICM, will be releasing their final Indy Poll tomorrow.

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ok, so stupid question(s) time

1) If the people vote "No", what's to stop the Scottish government ignoring that and proceeding with a "Yes" anyway?

2) If the people vote "No", what's to stop the Scottish government from continuously having referenda until the people vote "Yes"?

21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    There is no Scottish government, not in the sense that you're describing. They don't have the mandate to act unilaterally.

Salmond and co. all agree it should be a question asked once per generation, so unless there's some constitutional crisis, there should be 20-30 years before the next round.

That is, if they don't win this time.

22. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    1) As the Scottish people would have voted to remain in the UK, a unilateral attempt to separate anyway would probably constitute treason. I would assume that the punishment for treason is a very long prison sentence.

2) It is my understanding that the UK government can grant referendums at their discretion. In this case, the government had to grant Scotland their referendum because we are a democratic country and the Scottish people have a right to determine their own destiny. In the event of a no vote, the Scottish people would have already made their choice therefore requests for further referendums could simply be denied. That doesn't mean that a no vote buries Scottish independence forever of course. After a sufficient passage of time it would probably become appropriate again to grant Scotland another referendum if they asked for it.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes -- the whole reason that independence is possible is because it's consented to by the UK government. They've pledged to abide by the referendum and it is they who have to enact the relevant legal changes to make it possible.

Scotland going for it anyway -- and against popular will -- would not end well for them. The legality of secession under international law may be murky, but secession against popular opinion is much more clearly not allowed (and def. not allowed under domestic UK law).

24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i think its quite likely that you can expect a referendum every 20-30 years until it succeeds, like with devolution (second time was the charm on that, iirc)

no matter the outcome, its clearly going to be close enough that we can assume this idea of independence isnt going to just disappear from the scottish imagination

25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001