main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC SeaWorld Webcams

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    If you're bored at work, SeaWorld just installed a camera (and microphone) in the Penguin encounter.

Enjoy a live feed of our king, emperor, Adélie, gentoo and macaroni penguins.

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sandiego/Animals/Webcams/Penguin-Cam

We also have a Shamu cam. It's an older camera with a slower refresh rate, but you also can watch some of our Orcas.

http://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-sandiego/Animals/Webcams/Shamu-Cam

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yay! Though I think you need a dolphin camera too!

3. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    PENGUINS!!! TBF will LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this!!

:D

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Lisa, I agree! Though while Dolphin stadium was under construction, our pilot whales and some of our dolphins were living in the backstage Shamu pool (where this camera is), so the webcam was picking up dolphins all over the place. It was awesome. :D

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I gotta figure out the times! I want to see Shamu!!!

6. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I can't wait for shamu to eat a trainer.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Penguin cam is CUTE! I spent a good part of yesterday evening watching them. If we ever make it to San Diego I'm dragging the family to the Penguin Experience (or what ever it was called) to hang with the penguins.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I'll watch the penguin cam if it's like this:

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/Proton16/penguins_from_futurama.jpg]

9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Is Adélie going to favor us with a live version of We Could Have Had It All?

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    peeeenggguiiinsssss <3

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Penguin cam is pretty good. And I think I just saw either Shamu or one of his buddies on the Shamu cam. (It was black & white & large).

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    They're all Shamu; the original Shamu died back in 1971, but SeaWorld still uses it as a stage-name for all of our killer whales. We tell kids who ask that it's their last name. ;)

13. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    lol that is not remotely the name of the song

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    And this innocence dies... :( [face_laugh]

I saw a Shamu years ago at the Florida Sea World and found the perils of sitting near the front row..luckily the weather was warm..

15. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    In the second grade I stupidly volunteered to stand right next to the tank as Shamu surged past. My spitting to get rid of the salt taste the entire day :p

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Yeah I know what's in that water, so I will never sit in the soak zone ever again. :p

In fun news, I watched some the Shamu cam earlier today and saw our "newest" whale, Keet, swimming around with Uli and Corky. Keet lived out here for about 5 years in 99, but then went and lived at SeaWorld San Antonio. He came back to us just a few days ago, and is already enjoying being back with some of his old friends.

Now the fun part will be introducing him to his bratty daughter, whom I don't think he's met. She and her brother like to pick on the older, slower whales, so we'll see how this goes.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    How long do the whales normally live in captivity? I would have seen Shamu at Florida Sea World back in the late '90s.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've been enjoying the Penguin cam this morning. :D :D

Thanks Rachel!

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

Well, right now there's no exact number. The longest in captivity so far is our Corky, who's been in captivity for about 45 years. She's pretty much our marker.

Our whales also circulate a lot between our parks and some of our sister parks in Canada and Barcelona, so the ones you saw in the 90s might not be the same ones there now.

20. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I can't stop watching the penguin webcam. I think I saw a fight break out for a little bit.

Evil.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Right now there's a little guy who won't stop looking at the camera.

And on the Shamu side, it looks like Uli is hanging out with Ike and someone else in the Shamu pool.

22. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I see him, I think he knows that I'm watching.

Evil.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's pretty impressive on the age in captivity. How do they transport the whales between parks - special tanks and air shipping?

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The new penguin camera is spoiling me. I want them to update the Shamu camera now with a better quality one.

And put one with the dolphins. And one our giant fish habitats.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My 'net is acting up, unfortunately. The Shamu cam is OK but the penguin cam is just giving me a black screen. I think my connection is too slow at the moment.